[comp.protocols.kermit] Info-Kermit Digest V7 #15

SY.CHRISTINE@CU20B.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU (Christine M Gianone) (06/30/88)

Info-Kermit Digest         Wed, 29 Jun 1988       Volume 7 : Number 15

Today's Topics:

                      Utility Program for Prime Tapes
                      RE: VAX C-Kermit Over X.25 PADs
                      RE: VME/10 Kermit Under Versados
                Bug in CD3KER vs. 3.4, CDC Cyber Nos Kermit
               Problems with Downloading Commodore 64 Kermit
                             MS Kermit and OS/2
              8-Bit Asynchronous Communication with Parity Bit
                  Bug in Macintosh Kermit Version 0.9(40)
                 Apple II Kermit and the Super Serial Card
                RE: Setting Flow Control for EMACS in Kermit
                            Kermit Over Networks
                       Automatic ISO 8859 Conversion

Send digest submissions to Info-Kermit@CU20B, requests for addition to or
deletion from the Info-Kermit subscriber list to Info-Kermit-Request@CU20B.

Kermit files may be obtained over networks and by mail order.  On the
Internetwork, use FTP to log in to host CU20B, CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU, or
CU20B.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU (a DECSYSTEM-20), as user ANONYMOUS, using any password,
and GET the desired files from logical device KER:.  You can also get Kermit
files over BITNET/EARN; to get started send a message with text HELP to
KERMSRV, the Kermit file server, at host CUVMA.  For detailed instructions,
read the file KER:AANETW.HLP (AANETW HLP on KERMSRV).  To order by mail,
request a complete list of Kermit versions and an order form from Kermit
Distribution, Columbia University Center for Computing Activities, 612 West
115th Street, New York, NY 10025 USA.

Date: Fri, 10 Jun 88 17:51:04 PDT
From: Bob Larson <R.LARSON%AIS1@ECLA.USC.EDU>
Subject: Utility Program for Prime Tapes

Prime now supplies a utility (ux_tape) to read and write UNIX tar and cpio
tapes with the latest version of primos (21.0.2 and 21.0.3).  The bugs in the
21.0.2 version probably make in unusable, but it looks like tar tapes will be
a reasonable alternative to the program to read ANSI tapes that you currently
are supplying for Prime systems.  (21.0.3 has only been available a couple of
weeks, and most sites are still running pre-21 primos.)

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 21 May 88 14:39:59 EDT
From: elsie!ado@ncifcrf.gov (Arthur David Olson)
Subject: RE: VAX C-Kermit Over X.25 PADs

Re: Info-Kermit Digest V7 #12:

> We have a (*very* slow) VAX-11/780 running VMS 4.7; terminals connected to
> X25 PADs and make X29 calls into the VAX. We have all our lines set for 9600
> baud. C-Kermit works OK with normal packet sizes, and it sends files *to* the
> PC with 250 byte packets OK. However, trying to use any packet size about 200
> bytes or so *from* the PC results in repeated retries; the log shows that the
> VAX is giving "Data Overrun" errors on about 1 in 3 packets.

The same sort of thing happens with PCs connected via DZ11s; the VAX just
can't drain the DZ11's silo fast enough, resulting in silo overflow.

So. . .here at elsie we don't even try; we've set MAXRP to 94.

   *** 1.1/ckcker.h	Sat May 21 14:37:26 1988
   --- 1.4/ckcker.h	Sat May 21 14:37:28 1988
   ***************
   *** 26,31 ****
   --- 26,35 ----

     #define MAXSP 2048			/* Send packet buffer size  */
     #define MAXRP 1024			/* Receive packet buffer size  */
   + #ifndef ASWAS
   + #undef MAXRP
   + #define MAXRP 94			/* ...or suffer buffer overruns */
   + #endif /* !defined ASWAS */
     #define MAXWS 1				/* Maximum window size */

     /* Kermit parameters and defaults */
--
    Canada's program is to spaceflight as the carrier pigeon is to mail.
	ado@ncifcrf.gov			ADO is a trademark of Ampex.

[Ed. - Thanks....  It has been added to KER:CKVKER.BWR.]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 May 88 19:53:50 {o
From: arm@dsl.pittsburgh.edu (Alan Martello)
Subject: RE: VME/10 Kermit Under Versados

Response to inquiry in digest V& #5 concerning VME/10 Kermit under Versados

Motorola has now included the KERMIT protocol in the TRANSFER command for
release 4.6 of Versados (untested, but according to the 4.6 doc.).  I have
not tried to run this since all the Versados machines I use are frozen at
Version 4.5, but from previous experience with Motorola supplied software, I
would not hold my breath.  I did not attempt to run the executable from 4.6
under 4.5 since the 4.6 documentation indicated that a new device driver
call to handle character I/O more reasonably was added to Versados 4.6,
although it did not mention Kermit explicitly.

(*FLAME ON* I made the assumption that Motorola could not easily port Kermit
without adding the new driver call since Versados handles just about all its
I/O in a brain-damaged fashion. *FLAME OFF*)

I would give Versados 4.6 a try if you have it available, but remember that
Motorola is the same company that provided the tape backup support which I
used to save a corrupted Fujitsu Eagle (150 MB) under Versados only to find
that their restore program could only read the first tape of a three volume
save set!!!  (I guess they never tried to read more than 60 MB of
information).

Good Luck!

Alan Martello
University of Pittsburgh

UUCP: { akgua | allegra | cmcl2 | idis | ihnp4 | mi-cec | pitt
	psuvax1 | sun | sunrise | vax135 } ! cadre ! arm
ARPA: arm@cadre.dsl.pittsburgh.edu

DISCLAIMER - the views expressed above concerning Versados and Motorola
software are entirely my own after working with their '680x0 development
environment' for three years.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 27 May 88 14:00:48 -0800
From: ames!tis.llnl.gov!lll-tis!lll-crg!lll-winken!uunet!convex!otto!jimi!unsvax.uucp!bartlett@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU
Subject: Bug in CD3KER vs. 3.4, CDC Cyber Nos Kermit

I have been installing the latest Kermit distribution for CD3KER vs. 3.4
for the CDC Cyber NOS systems and I discovered an error in the CD3KER.MOD
file. The problem concerns the fact that the modified array SETTYP must be
in alphabetical order for the Fortran subroutine MATCH to work correctly.
To fix the file CD3KER.MOD replace the following four lines -

*D 1041
     +    'TEXT-MODE', BIN-MODE', 'EOR-EOF-MODE' /
*D 1046
      GO TO (20,30,40,10,50,70,75,80,90,100,110,120), INDX

with the following six lines -

*D 1039,1041
      DATA SETTYP /  'BIN-MODE', 'DEBUG', 'DELAY', 'DUPLEX',
     +    'EOR-EOF-MODE', 'FILE-MODE', 'INIT-RETRY', 'RECEIVE',
     +    'RDELAY', 'RETRY', 'SEND', 'TEXT-MODE' /
*D 1046
      GO TO (110,20,30,40,120,10,50,70,75,80,90,100), INDX

I should add that I have installed CD3KER vs. 3.4 on an older Cyber NOS
l647 and everthing seems to work except for the CDCNET versus NPU test
in Program KRM0100.

Dave Bartlett
UNS Computing Services
bartlett@unsvax.uns.edu, bartlett@uns-helios.uns.edu,
or via BITNET as AC34U05@UNEV

[Ed. - Thanks.  Your message has been put in KER:CD3KER.BWR.]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 04 Jun 88 23:28:29 MET
From: Jos Grote Punt <U448025%HNYKUN11.BITNET@CUVMA.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU>
Subject: Problems with Downloading Commodore 64 Kermit

Many people have a problem with dowloading and converting C-64 Kermit. The
cause is a bug in the file C64DXL.HEX. In the file C64KER.HLP it says that
with C64DXL.BAS you can convert this hexdump file into a hexdump loader. With
this loader (called C64DXL.C000) you can then convert C64KER.HEX to a running
version of Kermit. The help file states that you should save the file with the
last address displayed by C64DXL.C000. You will never see this address because
of the bug. It works ok if you change $00 on address $C20A in $60 (BRK changed
in RTS).

Besides that there's another problem with C64KER.HEX. This file is in the so
called MINMIC hexdump format, where a every line looks like this:
  1. A ';' that marks the beginning of the line
  2. The number of data bytes
  3. The adress (in HIGH-LOW format) from which this line is to be loaded
  4. The data bytes itself (A-F in uppercase)
  5. Two-byte checksum (HIGH-LOW format), being the sum of all other bytes

The last line has a 00 as the number of data bytes. So, what's wrong with
C64KER.HEX? It has two databytes less than above item 2 says! Result: the hex-
dump file loads ok, but the checksum can't be checked. This means that if you
were lucky and there was no error during the download of C64KER.HEX than the
resulting Kermit will work, in the other case you have a big problem! The
strange thing is that the file C64DXL.HEX is allright.
I hope this info can help some people.

Jos Grote Punt
Faculty of Medicine
University of Nymegen
The Netherlands

U448025@HNYKUN11.BITNET

[Ed. - Many thanks for the report!  It's been added to the C64KER.BWR file.]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Apr 88 11:46 PDT
From: DBUERGER%SCU.BITNET@CUVMA.COLUMBIA.EDU
Subject: MS Kermit and OS/2

Has anyone begun development to enable MS-Kermit to be multitasked under
OS/2?  If so, estimated time schedules?  Please CC: me directly as I don't
often read this digest.  Thanks.

David J. Buerger
Santa Clara University
dbuerger@scu.bitnet

[Ed. - This is a popular question.  Someone has been working on porting
C-Kermit to OS/2 and this should be available shortly.  In the longer term,
some thought is being given to adapting MS-Kermit to full OS/2 compatibility,
but this will take some time.  Meanwhile, it's possible that "WINKRM" -- the
MS-Windows version of Kermit -- can be used under OS/2 to transfer files
while other processes are active, as it can under Windows itself.  A new
version of WINKRM has just arrived and will be announced as soon as it's
installed.  Meanwhile, the current version of MS-Kermit runs in DOS
compatibility mode under OS/2.  As Joe Doupnik reports "Throughput seems
terrific, given my DOS AT on one side and the Model 80-111 running OS/2 on
the other.  A 9600 baud line yielded about 8400 effective for a long text
file.  The only difference so far is if one asks a Kermit server to write to
a protected disk the OS/2 error menu pops up rather than letting Kermit
manage it; telling OS/2 to let the error flow to the program yields Kermit's
normal graceful recovery."]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 15 Apr 1988 11:18:56 IST
From: "Jonathan B. Owen" <GDAU100%BGUVM.BITNET@CUVMA.COLUMBIA.EDU>
Subject: 8-Bit Asynchronous Communication with Parity Bit

I keep reading all too often of people writing that 8-bit communication is
mutually exclusive with a parity bit.  Actually, each frame, or character
transmitted over an async. link starts with a Start-Bit followed by 7 or 8
Data-Bits, followed by an optional Parity-Bit, and finally terminated with
1, 1.5 or 2 Stop-Bits.  In effect, besides the framing bits, a maximum of 9
bits are possible for each char.

The reason I write this, is because I wanted to use Mac-Kermit 0.9(36) with
an IBM/370.  Apparently, you cannot set 8 bit communication with Mac-Kermit.
Also, I ran across another program on the Mac which lets you select EITHER 8
bit communication or 7 Bit with Parity, which is rediculous (can't remember
name of program off hand).

I hope this letter clears things up a bit (or 9 bits!).

Email: gdau100@bguvm (bitnet)
Snail: 6/15 Mendelson, Tel-Aviv  Israel
Voice: (03) 557-7519
Jonathan B. Owen

[Ed. - In theory, you're right.  In practice, it depends on the UART.  Many
UARTs simply do not give you the option, or even if they do, the
corresponding device drivers do not.  Nor do most modems, PADs, or other
communication equipment.]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 19 Jun 88 21:53:42 +0100
From: Eamonn McManus <emcmanus@csvax1.tcd.ie>
Subject: Bug in Macintosh Kermit Version 0.9(40)

There is a trivial but annoying bug in Mac Kermit 0.9(40), as released to
comp.binaries.mac on Usenet.  (The version says it is Kermit version 0.9(40),
04/05/88 11:51.)  The default settings for tab stops place the last one at
column 71 (zero-origin) rather than 72 as it should be.  Most of the time
this doesn't show up (which is presumably why the bug hasn't been fixed so
far) but it is quite noticeable in editors like vi that attempt to optimise
cursor motion, frequently by using tabs.

Here is a patch that fixes the bug.  The version of ckmcon.c is that from
0.9(36)b4 but I assume it hasn't changed.

Since I don't have the 0.9(40) sources, I've had to patch the binary.  This
involves editing block 132(dec) and changing byte 0x19c to a 0, and byte
0x19e to a 1.

Eamonn

[Ed. - Thanks.  Your message has been put in KER:CKMKER.BWR.]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 16 Mar 88 15:54 N
From: SIEGRIST@CLSEPF51.BITNET
Subject: Apple II Kermit and the Super Serial Card

I am attempting to load and run KERMIT on an Apple IIe minicomputer.  The
documentation for KERMIT in the file APPLE.DOC hints about some possible
problems to be encountered in this situation, especially when using the
APPLE SUPER SERIAL CARD.  Please send suggestions and/or newly updated
documentation for the installation of KERMIT on the APPLE IIe.

As a secondary attempt I have installed a Z-80 coprocessor card into my
Apple IIe.  I have then tried to use the Kermit programs: CPMAPPLE, CPMPLUS,
CPMGENER, and KERMIT version 4.3, all without success.  The KERMIT programs
load properly, but will not execute the CONNECT command without hanging up.
Both the SSC card and CPM card and these versions of KERMIT work properly on
an APPLE II+ in our laboratory.

Thank you for your assistance and cooperation.

Sincerly yours,

Timothy Good         Centre de Recherches en Physique des Plasmas
                         Lausanne, Switzerland
Bitnet address: SIEGRIST@CLSEPF51

[Ed. - From Ted Medin, maintainer of Apple II Kermit: The super serial card
and driver are probably the most bullet proof part of kermit-65. Since it
works on the //+ and not the //e i suspect they have hardware problems with
their //e. I use the //e or //e+ all the time and am using it right now with
a super serial card. Is there a difference with export models of the //e????]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 5 Apr 88 17:53:39 EDT
From: paul@tut.ohio-state.edu (Paul Placeway)
Subject: RE: Setting Flow Control for EMACS in Kermit

< >[Ed. - The real, though painful, workaround is to SET FLOW NONE before you
< >start EMACS, and SET FLOW XON/XOFF when you exit EMACS, see below.]

< How about some escape sequence the host can send to Kermit to turn
< flow-control on and off.  Emacs (GNU Emacs anyway) can be configured
< to send such a sequence when entering or exiting.

The _best_ way is to make your micro use a real big serial input queue (that
is what MacKermit does).  If you can't do that, then if you are running Gnu
Emacs, there is a _much_ better way to deal with this: In your .emacs (for
Unix system; VMS uses some other name), include:

;;; for stupid ^S and ^Q problems (sets ^^ to be ^Q, ^\ to ^S,
;;; ^S to ^\, and ^Q to ^\, and makes ^\ ignored).
;;; NOTE: the second line of the string must NOT be indented!!
(setq keyboard-translate-table
"\000\001\002\003\004\005\006\007\010\011\012\013\014\015\016\017\
\020\036\022\036\024\025\026\027\030\031\032\033\023\035\021\037")
(global-set-key "\036" 'ignore)

and get used to typing ^\ for I-Search and ^^ for Quote.  I also remember
some way of making emacs actually use ^S and ^Q for flow control, but I
can't remember off the top of my head.

		-- Paul

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 Jun 88 16:34 CST
From: SNISSEN%carleton.edu@RELAY.CS.NET
Subject: Kermit Over Networks

I am looking for communications programs, preferably versions of Kermit,
that can connect from PC compatibles or Apple Macintoshes to VAXen across an
Appletalk (Localtalk) network.  Specifically, our configuration is this: In
several administrative offices at the college, we are adding small Phonenet
networks (running Appletalk protocols) primarily to allow sharing of Apple
LaserWriters.  In the new construction, there is only one data port
connection in the wall for each computer, so connection to the VAXen should
be through the local network.  The VAXen are connected to the Appletalk
(LocalTalk) network through Ethernet via a Kinetics FastPath.  The
microcomputer software will be either TOPS or Appleshare.  The VAX
connection is very simple, just VT100 emulation and standard Kermit server
file transfers.  Kermit-MS version 2.30 has support for NetBIOS local area
networks, but not for Appletalk.  MacKermit 0.9(40) seems to have no LAN
support.  If you have an Appletalk-aware version of Kermit, or if you can
comment on any Appletalk-aware communications packages, please let me know.
I read Info-Kermit regularly, but it may be difficult to reach me through
the network, so please respond to:

        Sande Nissen
        Computer Center
        Carleton College
        One North College Street
        Northfield, MN  55057
        (507) 663-4479
	net: snissen@carleton.edu

[Ed. - Appletalk support is not in MacKermit currently, but it's on the
"wish-list."  For MS-Kermit, the best solution would be an independent
BIOS-level device driver which Kermit could take advantage of using either
its built-in BIOS or NetBIOS support (SET PORT BIOSx, SET PORT NET).  Is
anyone aware of work going on in this area?]

------------------------------

Date: 1 Jun 88 11:47:08 GMT
From: mcvax!rhi.hi.is!frisk@uunet.UU.NET (Fridrik Skulason)
Subject: Automatic ISO 8859 Conversion

Regarding a recent note about automatic text conversion to ISO 8859/1.

As a matter of fact, we did just this here in Iceland a few years ago, while
this standard was still known here just as "ECMA code". The reason was of
course, that the first PCs had arrived here, and we often had to transfer
text to/from our VAX, which used modified 7 bit ASCII.

Later we added a translation table to Mackermit, where a small problem
appeared, namely that not all characters in the Mac character set could be
translated into ISO codes. This problem was simply ignored, and all
"untranslatable" characters were just translated into a single "junk"
character. The reason was simply the low frequency of those characters in
normal text ( << 0.1%)

As a matter of fact, we are back to using the original unmodified VAXkermit
(on our two VAXes) and Ckermit (on our HP9000), since we now use ISO 8859/1
on those computers, and therefore no translation is needed there. (Well -
almost unmodified - I think we had to delete one instruction which stripped
off the eight bit somewhere.)

ISO 8859/1 is very popular here in Iceland (Not surprising, since it is the
first major international character set standard which supports all our
special characters) We are getting tired of having to modify everything
else, like the HP Roman8 or the IBM/PC character set, so please make this
change to Kermit (or better still - start using 8859/1 on your computers).

         Fridrik Skulason          University of Iceland
         UUCP  frisk@rhi.uucp      BIX  frisk

End of Info-Kermit Digest
-------