[comp.protocols.kermit] Info-Kermit V8 #2

SY.CHRISTINE@CU20B.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU (Christine M Gianone) (07/15/88)

Info-Kermit Digest         Thu, 14 Jul 1988       Volume 8 : Number 2

Departments:

  ANNOUNCEMENTS -
        Announcing CTOS/BTOS Kermit 1.07

  PORTABLE 370 KERMIT -
        Re: Kermit-370 Report

  MACINTOSH KERMIT -
        MacKermit 0.9(40 -Transfer of Mac Applications, How?
        MacKermit Flaw
        MAC <> UNIX Mainframe File Transfer
        Trouble de-BinHexing MacKermit 0.9(40)
        MAC II Session Logging
        MacKermit 0.9(40)
        Suggested Enhancement for MacKermit
        RE: Basic MacKermit Help
        MacKermit Functionality
        Bug in MacKermit?
        Problems with MacKermit 0.9(40)

  MISCELLANY -
        C64 kermit Download Problem (2 messages)
        C-Kermit for Intel 310 Xenix 3.0?
        Proposal for a New Command

Send digest submissions to Info-Kermit@CU20B, requests for addition to or
deletion from the Info-Kermit subscriber list to Info-Kermit-Request@CU20B.

Kermit files may be obtained over networks and by mail order.  On the
Internetwork, use FTP to log in to host CU20B, CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU, or
CU20B.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU (a DECSYSTEM-20), as user ANONYMOUS, using any password,
and GET the desired files from logical device KER:.  You can also get Kermit
files over BITNET/EARN; to get started send a message with text HELP to
KERMSRV, the Kermit file server, at host CUVMA.  For detailed instructions,
read the file KER:AANETW.HLP (AANETW HLP on KERMSRV).  To order by mail,
request a complete list of Kermit versions and an order form from Kermit
Distribution, Columbia University Center for Computing Activities, 612 West
115th Street, New York, NY 10025 USA.

Date: Wed, 6 Jul 88 16:27:20 edt
From: Joel Dunn <joeld@uncecs.edu>
Subject: Announcing CTOS/BTOS Kermit 1.07

Last fall I sent you a copy of Kermit that I had ported to CTOS on Convergent
NGEN systems and BTOS on the Burroughs B20.  I just dropped another version
in the mail that adds a few features and fixes a few bugs.  This version I
call CTOS-Kermit 1.07, and the most significant feature is probably its VT100
emulation in terminal mode.  It isn't a perfect VT100, but it works for most
things without blowing up.  I have had this version in distribution since
January, and have have heard positive feedback, and I have not heard from
anyone that was having problems.

--Joel Dunn, UNC-Chapel Hill Administrative Data Processing

[Ed. - Thanks, Joel!  The new version has replaced the old one as KER:CT*.*
in the Kermit Distribution.  The files and naming conventions are listed in
KER:CTAAAA.DOC.  The program is based on an old release of C-Kermit, but Joel
says that when he gets C-Kermit 4E(070) he will try to add the CTOS/BTOS
support to it, so it will be yet another of the regular C-Kermits.]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 1988 Jul 1   22:21 EDT
From: (John F. Chandler)   PEPMNT@CFAAMP.BITNET
Subject: Re: Kermit-370 Report

> Subject: IBM 370 Kermit 4.0 bugs (?), questions
>
> I'm using TSO-Kermit 4.0 on a COMPAREX 7/88 with MVS/XA with VTAM and
> IBM7171 controller. After downloading some files in server mode, I give a
> REMOTE KERMIT TDUMP NAMES command to see the amount of files transferred.
> After that i give a REMOTE KERMIT STATUS command. Now again a REMOTE KERMIT
> TDUMP NAMES command and here the size of the last file is changed to 0K.
> This happens only in server mode, but also with CMS-Kermit 4.0.

Yes, the last file in the list is vulnerable -- this can also happen if
you interrupt a multi-file transfer via ^X/^Z.  Someday, I'll see about
fixing this.

> The REMOTE TYPE command works, but the TYPE command at the prompt level
> doesn't work. I got a "MODULE 'LIST' NOT FOUND" error. The COPY command
> doesn't work either.

TYPE assumes you have a LIST command available on your system -- if you
don't, it should be easy enough to get one.  The same is true of COPY
(IBM and other vendors offer packages including LIST, COPY, MERGE, and
others).

> The DIRECTORY command doesn't work with a parameter or with wildcards as
> DIR *.FOR

Yes, DIR just uses the LISTCAT facility under TSO.  If you want more
sophisticated options than "LISTC" or "LISTC LEVEL(...)", you'll have
to issue the command directly.

> When I'm using long packets, the packet size is at about 995 for a long time
> (many Kbytes) and then suddenly shrinks to about 500 or less. There are only
> 2 or 3 repeat packet for 200K data. So this feature does not satisfy me.

By my calculation, 3 repeat packets at 100K of data will reduce the size
to about 700, but the size will then gradually recover.  The size
shouldn't drop to 500 without at least 7 transmission errors.  All this
aside, the throughput with 1000-byte packets is not a great deal more
than that with 500-byte packets, even with a noise-free line, unless the
the line turn-around time is large.  See the Kermit Newsletter (summer
1988) for a discussion of throughput.

> How does the kermit HELP command work? I only get "HELP NOT AVAILABLE+",
> while the TSO HELP KERMIT command works well.

It seems I left detailed descriptions of the HELP command out of both
the CMS and TSO Kermit documentation!  The syntax is very simple:
for TSO, type either HELP or HELP <subcmd> for information about
Kermit as a whole or about a particular subcommand.  For CMS, type
just HELP.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Jun 88 23:29:11 EDT
From: mholden@ajpo.sei.cmu.edu
Subject: MacKermit 0.9(40 -Transfer of Mac Applications, How?

I had been experimenting with MacKermit 0.9(40) without documentation and
having no success in transferring a binary file to my Mac. Upon perusal of
the newly released documentation, I confirmed a suspicion that my problems
were due to MacKermit's inability to perform MacBinary conversion. However,
it is not obvious to me how to compensate and obtain a binary file. Is there
some arcane process involving ResEdit required to reassemble data and
resource forks transmitted as two separate files? (I assume that is how the
pieces must be sent.) Any help with this problem would be appreciated.

- Maretta Holden

[From Paul Placeway - Since Kermit (and hence MacKermit) is designed to send
only single fork files, the best way to transfer applications is to use
something like BinHex or StuffIt to put the data and resource forks and the
finder info into the data fork of a single file, send that to the other Mac,
and unpack it again.]

------------------------------

From: dlt@csuna.UUCP (Dave Thompson)
Subject: MacKermit Flaw
Date: 9 Jun 88 16:57:04 GMT

I just finished a cursory evaluation of Kermit 0.9(40) and found one rather
fatal flaw.  There is no option to make the delete key send a backspace
rather than a delete character.  While many of our mainframes (if not most)
accept, or can be made to accept the delete key, we have a few that require
use of the backspace character.  While I guess you *can* use control-h,
that's sort-of tedious.  For those of you who wrote this program, how about
an option to change this (rather as VersaTerm of MacTerminal does)?

Dave Thompson		     uucp:   {ihnp4|hplabs|psivax}!csun!csuna!dlt
CSUN Computer Center         phone:  (818) 885-2790
18111 Nordhoff Street, Northridge, CA 91330

[From Paul - Bind a macro of a Control-H to the delete key; the easist way to
type in the macro is either "\^h" or "\010" (don't include the double quotes).]

------------------------------

Date: 16 Jun 88 14:24:25 GMT
From: ut-sally!ut-emx!jezebel@gatech.edu (The Mad Hatter)
Subject: MAC <> UNIX Mainframe File Transfer

I have a seemingly simple question:

Whenever I do a file transfer from the unix mainframes to the Mac II, the
text file gets all messaed up. Line sequences are disrupted, square boxes
(what does that character mean?) are inserted at the beginning of lines). I
use kermit via a Red Ryder program.  Any suggestions/solutions for this
problem ? Is there any way I can transfer a file EXACTLY the way it is ?
Also, I use Macwrite to open the file on the MAC II.

Jim The Mad Hatter

[From Paul - The main problem with transfering files between Unix and a Mac is
the newline character.  On Unix, a newline is a Linefeed (Control-J), but on a
Mac it is a Return (Control-M).  If a text file is transfered to a Mac in
binary mode, everything will look fine except that wherever there should be a
newline, there is a little box character instead (indicating a Linefeed
character).  So the real question is do you want the file transfered exactly
as-is, in which case you would use binary mode, or do you want the newlines
converted, in which case you want to use text mode.]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 18 Jun 88 15:49:26 PDT
From: burke%pollux.usc.edu@oberon.USC.EDU (Sean Patrick Burke)
Subject: Trouble de-BinHexing MacKermit 0.9(40)

  I have downloaded MacKermit 0.9(40) to my Mac, but have had trouble
with the BinHex step:  BinHex version 5.0 says "no checksum error".  The
MacKermit file is stated to be encoded in BinHex version 4 format.

  Do my troubles arise from incompatible versions of BinHex?  Are there other
possibilities I may have overlooked?  Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanx much,
Sean Burke

[From Paul - Make sure the first line of the file says
 "(This file must be converted with BinHex 4.0)"

ckmker.hqx should be 100781 bytes long on a Mac or a Unix box; if it's
too short, re-ftp it.]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 23 Jun 88 08:34:33 PDT
From: GDCWOOD%CALSTATE.BITNET@CUVMA.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU
Subject: MAC II Session Logging

I am having problems with writing a session log when using MacKermit .9(36)B4
on a MAC II.  When choosing write session log from the settings menu,
Kermit goes through the motions of writing a log; however, after discontinuing
the log, the file Kermit session is nowhere to be found!

Any pointers on where i'm going astray would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance for your time on this one.

Dan Calderwood
Humboldt State University
Academic Computing
BITNET:GDCWOOD@CALSTATE

[From Paul - There seems to be some problems with the log files being created
invisible on some Macs.  I haven't had it happen to me, and the code that
creates the log file looks fine, so I really don't know what is going on.  The
only thing I can say off hand is make sure you have version 0.9(40).]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 05 Jul 88 14:56:27 EDT
From: <LARRY%NRCVM01.BITNET@cuvma.cc.columbia.edu>
Subject: MacKermit 0.9(40)

I am running MacKermit 0.9(40) on a Mac II. I am getting older. My eyes
are getting poorer. And MacKermit uses the top left 1/4 or the screen on
my Mac II! Is there a possibility of MacKermit using the full screen
on a Mac II? Before my eyes give out completely?

Larry Bradley
Communications Manager
National Research Council of Canada
Networks Branch
Ottawa, Canada
(613) 993-0240

[From Paul - The non-changable MacKermit terminal emulator window is a
problem, but it will take quite a bit of work, because MacKermit knows deep in
its heart that the terminal window is a fixed size and each character is also
a fixed size.  If anyone else does it first, I'll be more than happy to include
it (actually, I'll probably jump up and down 8-)

MacKermit 0.9(40) already does background file transfers under MultiFinder
(although it doesn't unhighlite the top window correctly yet).

Typeing into the file dialog box will take a bit of work; I'll take a look
at it.]

------------------------------

Date:  Tuesday, 19 January 1988 19:59 edt
From:  David M. Rosenberg <Rosenberg>
Subject:  Suggested Enhancement for MacKermit

The Macintosh normally uses the OPTION key in combination with certain other
keys (E, I, U, N, & `) as dead key accents.  These dead keys produce no
character themselves.  However, when they are followed by certain
(alphabetic) characters, the dead keys apply the specified accent to the
specified alphabetic character.  This behavior is normally desirable.
However, within Kermit's terminal emulator, you may want to use the OPTION
key as a general modifier (as set in the "Set modifiers
..." dialog).  In that case, you would probably like all "OPTION-letter"
combinations to act in a uniform mannor, not have a few of them be dead
keys.

The VersaTerm terminal emulator provides a switch (to be set with ResEdit)
that controls whether "OPTION dead keys" are enabled or disabled while
VersaTerm is running.  If they are disabled, OPTION-E generates a keydown
event with only one keystroke.

I request that you consider adding a similar switch to Macintosh Kermit
(probably in the "Set modifiers ..." dialog) to control whether dead keys
are enabled or disabled while the terminal emulator is running.

 /David M. Rosenberg (Rosenberg@BCO-MULTICS.ARPA)

[From Paul - As soon as OSU gets a hold of a real MPW 2.0 (we are running
MPW 2.0 a4, w/o the script manager stuff), I will add exactly this, except
that it will be (yet another) dialog settable option.  Actually, the code is
allready there, but not tested.

I have had a number of different requests for additions to the key mapping
scheme.  I personally would like to use the Option key as a Meta key (sets the
8th bit, for Emacs), but I also know of people who would like to use Option as
a control key, as a way of addressing extended characters (vowels with
accents, for example).  There are probably also thing that no one is
interested in doing, so I am taking a survey: what do you want Kermit to do
with the keyboard?  Please send responses to me (paul@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu).
I will summarize the results to Info-Kermit, and work on implementing whatever
isn't but needs to be.]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 Apr 88 11:55:49 EDT
From: "Robert E. Zaret" <ZARET%MITVMA.BITNET@CUVMA.COLUMBIA.EDU>
Subject: RE: Basic MacKermit Help

I just downloaded and then uploaded a text file from CMS-Kermit 3.1 to
RedRyder 10.3 Kermit with no problems.  On the mainframe end, I used
the SEND and RECEIVE commands.  The required settings depend on the
type of connection:
   TTY lines:
        Kermit handshake set to ^Q (ASCII decimal 17)
        general (terminal emulation) flow-control none
   Full-screen lines (via protocol converters such as 7171 or Series/1):
        Kermit handshake set to none
        general (terminal emulation) flow-control XON/XOFF
I generally avoid server mode (my first impression suggested it can be
flakey and error-recovery can be more difficult).

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 11 Jul 88 15:46:06 edt
From: caldara@alliant.Alliant.COM (Steve Caldara)
Subject: MacKermit Functionality

Hi,
   I would find the following functionality very useful if it was added to
   MacKermit.

	1. Resizable window with zoom box.  (I've requested this previously)

        2. Background file transfer under MF ( Ditto above )

[Ed. - 0.9(40) has this.]

        3. The ability to 'type' the name of the file in the file dialog box
           when uploading files to a remote host.  I do a lot of uploading of
           postscript files to our unix hosts and then print them to a
	   laser writer.  I am trying to semi-automate the process with
           'Quick Keys'  After I've created the postscript file using Clover-F
	   I use the 'Find File' DA to locate the folder it is in.  When I
	   select the MacKermit Send command under the File menu it pops up
	   with the corrent folder selected.  At this point tI would like to
	   be able to enter the file name from the keyboard and click open.

    					Thanx,
					Steve Caldara

P.S.  As is, MacKermit is great.  Thanx to all those who have worked on it.
      These suggestions are requests to make it even betterr
			( at least for me  :-)   )

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Jul 88 15:24:38 PDT
From: jak@violet.Berkeley.EDU (John A. Kunze)
Subject: Bug in MacKermit?

I've noticed a fairly annoying bug in MacKermit when connected to Unix
through several versions.  The terminal emulation (with vt100 or vt102
termcap) has a glitch around column 72 that I suspect has something to do
with internal margin bell handling.  If you edit this message and try moving
the cursor back and forth near the ends of the lines in "vi" (using the
commands w, e, l, etc.), you'll notice that "vi" gets confused about the
state of the screen: characters get overwritten with the wrong information
and the line seems to lose a character.

	John Kunze

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Jul 88 10:15:19 EDT
From: akk2@tut.cc.rochester.edu (Atul Kacker)
Subject: Problems with MacKermit 0.9(40)

I have been using MacKermit 0.9(40) for some time now.  I like the way
keyboard remapping is done.  The keyboard shortcuts (in place of using the
mouse) are nice, but some of them do not work !  In particular, Command-Q
for quitting and Command-S for sending files don't do anything.  Command-Q
just makes my modem beep...

Is it only me or is there really a bug here ?  My Mac is a Mac+.

Atul Kacker
(akk2@tut.cc.rochester.edu)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Jun 88 11:35:48 PDT
From: GRAFFMAN%VAP@ames-io.ARPA
Subject: C64 kermit Download Problem - Digest V7 #15

Another solution to the C64 download problem short of fixing the hex
file is to run C64DXL.BAS to create the C64DXL.C000 and NOT reset
the 64. Then RUN C64DXL.C000 on the kermit hex file. The end
address will appear but the system will hang. Write the address down,
reset the 64 (power off 'n' on) and run C64DXL.C0000 again to
create the executable.

Ira Graffman    NASA/Goddard Space Flight Center

[Ed. - See message below...]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Jun 88 22:27:12 EST
From: ray@j.cc.purdue.edu (Ray Moody)
Subject: C64 Kermit Downloading Problem

RE: Info-Kermit Digest V7 #15
>   Many people have a problem with dowloading and converting C-64 Kermit.

    The part about the RTS vs. BRK instruction is really a matter of taste.
Most monitors will catch the "BRK" instruction, and exit to BASIC if you use
an RTS instruction.

    As to the checksum problem, C64DXL doesn't use the checksum in the last
line anyway.  As soon as it sees the ";00" at the start of the line, it stops.
(Perhaps it should use the checksum....)

    Anyway, I am looking for a better way of distributing Kermit over the
networks.  As anybody who has tried the current method knows knows, it is gross
and ugly.  There will be a new version of Kermit before too much longer.

								Ray

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 7 Jul 88 22:04:22 GMT
From: ASBPF-ED@usfk-emh.arpa
Subject:  C-Kermit for Intel 310 Xenix 3.0?

How do I get a copy of Kermit for an Intel 310 running Xenix v3.0?  The
computer does not have a C compiler on it.  Which make file parameters
ckuker.mak?

                                               Rodney B. Roeber

[Ed. - C-Kermit for Unix, Xenix, etc, only comes in source form.  Is it true
that people have Xenix with no C compiler?  If so, is there anyone out there
who would like to volunteer to distribute Kermit on diskette for these
systems?]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 6 Jun 88 15:04:34 PDT
From: farhad%lyra.usc.edu@oberon.USC.EDU (Farhad Arbab)
Subject: Proposal for a New Command

I would like to suggest adding a new command to kermit to make
it possible for an arbitrary program to talk to a remote host.
I think this is easy to do for kermits running under Unix, but
it may not be so easy to do for some other systems, e.g. DOS.
My comments, therefore, really refer to C-Kermit under Unix.

What I need to do is this:  I want to connect to a remote host that is
running a program P, and carry out a conversation with P.  Since the
behavior of P is very predictable, the conversation on my part is
mostly mechanical.  I would like to replace me on my end with a local
program, L, essentially a sh script.

I know about script in kermit but script is too restrictive for my
purpose.  (With script, you can specify only a sequence of expect/send
strings.  The optional sends within an expect string basically allow
you to get the remote to a state where the next send would be
appropriate. I need to send different things depending on the string I
receive, and I need to do some "computation" to figure out what I'm
going to send.)

What I need is a new command, say "pipe", which works just as connect,
but instead of connecting the line to /dev/tty, it connects the line to
the standard input and output of a given process: "pipe L" will then do
what I want.  When L terminates, I want to return to the command mode
of kermit.  L can be an arbitrary program (anything that can be
executed via the ! escape).

How easy or difficult is it to add this feature to kermit?  Do you know
of other easy ways to accomplish the same effect?  Is there another
communications program that provides such a feature?

Farhad Arbab
arbab@cse.usc.edu

[Ed. - There are several possible methods that could be added to C-Kermit.
One of them could be a fully elaborated Kermit-style script language,
complete with variables, IF's, and GOTOs, similar to MS-DOS Kermit 2.31.
This is one of the many, many, many items on the "to-do" list for C-Kermit.]

End of Info-Kermit Digest
-------