[comp.protocols.kermit] Info-Kermit Digest V9 #7

cmg@WATSUN.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU (Christine M Gianone) (04/28/89)

Info-Kermit Digest         Thu, 27 Apr 1989        Volume 9 : Number 7

Departments:

  MS-DOS KERMIT
           How to Enable Printer Under MS-Kermit
	   Keycodes for WordPerfect and MS-Kermit
           MS-DOS Kermit Praise
           MS-Kermit V2.32/A Tek4010 Emulation
           MS-Kermit Flow Control Problem
           MS-Kermit with ProKey
           MS-Kermit Tektronix Emulation vs MCGA
           Problem with MS-Kermit 2.32A Scripts

  IBM 370 KERMIT -
           Kermit-370 vs WallData Protocol Converters
           Questions about 370-Kermit and MacKermit

  MACINTOSH KERMIT -
           MacBinary for MacKermit?

  PDP-11 KERMIT
           Problem Kermit Running Under RSTS/E v7.2

  CP/M KERMIT -
           Bug report, CP/M kermit (and other notes)
           Kermit on Northstar Horizon?
           Kermit on Archives 2 Z80 Box

Send digest submissions to Info-Kermit@CUNIXC.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU, requests for
addition to or deletion from the Info-Kermit subscriber list to
Info-Kermit-Request@CUNIXC.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU or to KERMIT@CUVMA.BITNET.

Kermit files may be obtained over networks and by mail order.  On the
Internetwork, use FTP to log in to host CUNIXC, CUNIXC.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU, a
VAX 8700 running UNIX (Ultrix).  The IP host number is 128.59.40.130.
Login as user anonymous (note, lower case), any password, and GET the
desired files.  The Kermit files are in directories kermit/a, kermit/b,
kermit/c, kermit/d, and kermit/e.  You can also get Kermit files over
BITNET/EARN; to get started send a message with text HELP to KERMSRV, the
Kermit file server, at host CUVMA.  For detailed instructions, read the
file kermit/a/aanetw.hlp (AANETW.HLP on KERMSRV).  To order by mail,
request a complete list of Kermit versions and an order form from Kermit
Distribution, Columbia University Center for Computing Activities, 612
West 115th Street, New York, NY 10025 USA.

Date: 4 Apr 89 22:23:03 GMT
From: bink@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu (Ubben Greg)
Subject: How to Enable Printer Under MS-Kermit?

I have an IBMPC running MS-Kermit (emulating a vt100) to connect to a Unix
host, and would like to write a shell script on the host which will print a
file on the PC's local printer.  In other protocols, this is handled by
outputting a special character sequence which tells the PC that the following
text should be routed to the printer, outputting the file, and then outputting
the sequence to turn off the printer.  However, I cannot find such a sequence
(be it a DOS, ANSI, Kermit, or vt100 command) that works under this configura-
tion.  Can someone please enlighten me?

                                -- Greg Ubben
                                   Johns Hopkins University

[Ed. - We have a program that does just what you need: "pcprint".  It's in
kermit/a/msppcp.* (.c = C language source, .nr = nroff man page source).
Theoretically, all you need to do is have Unix send the ANSI transparent print
sequence (ESC [ 5 i) at the beginning, and (ESC [ 4 i) at the end.  The
following shell script would normally do the trick:

    #!/bin/sh
    echo -n '<ESC>[5i'
    if [ $# -eq 0 ]; then
      cat
    else
      cat $*
    fi
    echo -n '<ESC>[4i'

(where <ESC> is a real ESC character).  But since most Unix systems transmit
even parity, this can foul up the printer.  The pcprint program takes care of
this by doing its output in 8-bit "raw mode".  The program currently works
only in Berkeley-based Unix implementations, but should be easily modifiable
for ATT Unix.]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 20 Apr 1989 21:28:30 EDT
From: "Joe R. Doupnik" <jrd@watsun.cc.columbia.edu>
Subject: Keycodes for WordPerfect and MS-Kermit

I have obtained an MS-Kermit initialization file which defines the keys
expected by mainframe WordPerfect.  It seems that people find this to be a
scarce item.

[Ed. - Thanks, Joe!  This file has been added to the Kermit distribution
as MSIWP.INI.]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 1 Apr 89 21:09:51 PST
From: kenn r stump <kenns@jacobs.cs.orst.edu>
Subject: MS-DOS Kermit Praise

Kermit V2.32/A is an excellent program.. For once, I have a true terminal
emulation which doesn't get whipped and flogged by cursoring commands.  The
file transfer is excellent, too..  Works Great..  Couple of bugs once in a
while, but can be overlooked easily..  (especially if you follow proper
procedure on transferring files, right?)

Very good Software..  Am very impressed..  However, the manual could have been
a tad bit smaller..  But life has its rough moments..

[From jrd - Nice words are always welcomed!  Look for a new release this
summer, with many many new features including decent sliding windows.  We've
been working on it since before version 2.32 was announced.]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Apr 89 09:08 EDT
From: Carl <GRECO@ruby.vcu.edu>
Subject: MS-Kermit V2.32/A Tek4010 Emulation

I have just recently upgraded my copy of MS-Kermit (IBM-PC Kermit-MS: V2.30
8 Jan 1988) to IBM-PC Kermit-MS: V2.32/A 21 Jan 1989.  The PC Backspace key
behaves differently in the Tektronix 4010 emulation mode for these two
versions.  In MS-Kermit 2.30 Tek4010 emulation the BS key echoes a backspace,
space, backspace, i.e., the character sequence detected with debug set to on
is the following enclosed in brackets: [^H ^H].  The result is the expected;
the character just to the left of the cursor position is deleted from the
IBM-PC CRT and the "invisible" cursor is moved one position to the left.
Tek4010 emulation under MS-Kermit 2.32/A reports the same response to the BS
keystrike; however, the result is different.  The cursor is moved one position
to the left but the character is not deleted from the CRT.  A subsequent
keystrike on the PC keyboard overwrites the previous character, i.e., both
characters are displayed at the same position.  Both versions of MS-Kermit
behave the same on (1) IBM-PC/AT with EGA monitor and PC-DOS 3.2, and (2)
Compaq Deskpro 386/25 with a Mono VGA monitor and MS-DOS 3.3.  I have looked
over the MS-Kermit manual, "MS-DOS Kermit User Guide...", Jan 24, 1989 without
locating a method to make MS-Kermit 2.32/A delete the character on the CRT.
Is there a way to do this?

[From jrd - Yes, the BS key does behave differently, due to many comments by
dedicated Tek users.  Thus, in MSK 2.32 there is no destructive backspace.
There's hope, however.  The next release is likely to have a number of
enhancements to Tek mode, desct.  BS among them. As you know, a real Tek 4010
has no erasure capability whatsoever, being storage tube technology.]

------------------

Date:  Thu, 6 Apr 89 13:10:50 -0500
From: boerner@emx.utexas.edu (Brendan B. Boerner)
Subject: MS-Kermit Flow Control Problem

Hello, I would like to comment upon the issue of flow control in MS-Kermit and
MacKermit and how it could be mistaken for a bug.

Consider this scenario: A user is using Kermit and the remote computer sends a
^S.  The user continues typing.  At this point, if the user were to try to do
*anything* including using ^]c (on MS-Kermit) or use the menus (on MacKermit),
_nothing will happen_.  In order to proceed either a) the remote computer
needs to send a ^Q, or b) the user will have to reboot.  Note that the user
must type something after receiving the ^S in order for the computer to appear
to "lock up".  If the ^S arrives, and the user tries to use ^]c or the menus,
before typing something, these actions will succeed.  It is only after trying
to type a character that this problem appears.

The reason why this could be construed as a bug is that the occasional burst
of line noise could conceivably "trick" Kermit into thinking that it received
a ^S.  The user will probably never know that a ^S has been received and will
probably issue a command to redraw the screen and continue.  Now the user has
problems.  Kermit will be waiting for a ^Q to arrive and until then, the user
is locked out.  For the longest time, while trying to figure out what was
causing my IBM PC or Mac to lock up when using Kermit, I thought that this was
a bug.  It was not until after I traced down to the ASCII 19 character (^S) as
being the culprit that I realized that this was possibly a flow control
problem.

Is there any solution for this?  It would be nice if, upon realizing that a
stray ^S was received, the user could issue some command which would tell
Kermit to forget about that ^S.  This would presume that Kermit would still
allow menus or other commands to be used after the user has typed characters.

Thank you,
Brendan B. Boerner
Microcomputer Services
The University of Texas @ Austin
Internet: boerner@emx.utexas.edu    UUCP: ...!cs.utexas.edu!ut-emx!boerner
BITNET:   CCGB001@UTA3081.BITNET

[From jrd - MS Kermit has a timer to sense when it has waited long enough when
trying to send a character.  When the timer expires it breaks any Xoff
deadlock.  However, a character needs to be sent before the holdup can occur
in the first place.  As far as stray Control-S' are concerned, how is Kermit
to know which is a stray?  The wait is blissfully short, say 8 seconds or so
and can be reduced by SET SEND TIME (though beware that yields an 8-bit prefix
packet decoding problem, sigh).  It would be nice if the user could enter an
overriding Control-Q, but that means queueing (no pun) output text and
selecting ^Q as an express request; too complicated for most cases.  Single
threaded DOS and all that.  I'm afraid we're stuck with it.]

[From pwp -- Oh!, *that's* what my mysterious line noise lock up problem is.
Hmm.  On the Mac, here is what's happening: the keyboard output is done with
blocking (synchronous) writes to the serial driver.  Now the serial driver has
flow control turned on in both directions (probably should be an option), and
the remote computer has sent an Xoff, so the driver blocks waiting for an Xon.
Since it is a blocking write, the driver can't return until the write
succeeds, and since it can't return, Mac Kermit can't call GetNextEvent or
WaitNextEvent, so the whole Mac freezes up.  I've just done a bit of hacking
on the output routines, and come up with this: when interactive (i.e. not
running any protocol), either turn off input flow control (preferable), or
force an unlock on each character typed.  Input flow still needs to be obeyed
when doing the protocol, possibly with a timeout (so the machine doesn't lock
up when doing file IO either).  This will be fixed in the next release of Mac
Kermit.]

[Ed. - It would seem to make good sense to turn off host-to-terminal
flow-control during terminal emulation, so long as we really know that the
user is typing.  Obviously, we should continue to honor flow control in this
direction any time the PC or Mac is transmitting characters on its own, like
during packet protocol, script execution, and raw uploads.]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 14 Apr 89 13:16:26 EDT
From: "John Cripe (516) 632-8055" <JCRIPE@SBCCVM.BITNET>
Subject: MS-Kermit with ProKey

One of the people here has reported a problem using PROKEY a TSR and Kermit.
He was running Kermit 2.31 1 JUL 88.  Has anyone else heard of any problems
with PROKEY or any other TSR packages?  I looked in the documentation of
2.32/A and did not see any bugs fixed that matched.  SIDEKICK, the only TSR I
have access to right now seemed to work without problem so it may only be
certain ones.  Any help would be appreciated.

[Ed. - By all accounts, MS-Kermit works fine, or CAN work fine, with ProKey.
From personal experience we know Kermit works perfectly with SuperKey, a
similar product.  If anyone has special hints about ProKey, please pass them
along.]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 9 Mar 89 23:30:23 EST
From: tvu%X102A@harris-atd.com (vu tv 16643)
Subject: MS-Kermit Tektronix Emulation vs MCGA

Kermit is a great program!  I like its key mapping and Tektronix emulation
capabilities.  In fact, I abandoned ProcommPlus in favor of Kermit.  However,
I have one small problem with my graphics adapter.

I have an IBM PS/2 Model 25 with MCGA capable of displaying VGA mono (ie,
640x480 in 2 colors or Mode 17 indicated in Table 1-5 in the manual), but I
was never able to get it.  The auto sensing always gave me CGA 640x200 B/W,
and the command SET TERMINAL GRAPHICS VGA didn't help either.  Is there a way
for me to get VGA mono?

                                        - Thu V. Vu
                                        tvu@x102a.harris-atd.com
                                        uunet!x102a!tvu

[From jrd - The MCGA mode is not really supported by MS Kermit, as you have
noted. I do not have a PS/2 to check these things, but the VGA implementation
on the Model 25 is not reporting itself in the EGA compatible form as being
capable of high resolution graphics. I need an IBM PS/2 VGA Tech Ref to pin
down all the details.]

------------------------------

Date: 22 Feb 89 16:17:00 EST
From: "Michael J. Porter" <mike@vms.udel.edu>
Subject: Problem with MS-Kermit 2.32/A Scripts

We are having a slight problem with Ms-Kermit 2.32 in conjunction with the IBM
7171 ASCII protocol converters.  A script of the form:

  INPUT 10 TERMINAL TYPE:
  OUTPUT vt100\13
  CONNECT

will usually fail.  Apparently the 7171 sends the VT100 setup escape sequences
so quickly that Kermit does not have a chance to get into connect mode and
process them.  You can see them echo on the screen briefly.  These setup
sequences do things like cause the keypad to go into application mode etc.

                                Thanks,

                                Mike Porter

mike@vms.udel.edu

[From jrd - A common misconception is that scripts operate with the VT102
emulator active; the emulator is not active. The case at hand can be easily
managed by SET INPUT-ECHO OFF before the final OUTPUT command.  This tells
OUTPUT to not helpfully echo incoming material, thus leaving it in the serial
port buffer, ready to be read by CONNECT mode.  Thanks to Peter Jones,
<MAINT@UQAM>, for similar observations.]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 05 Apr 89 10:16:45 LCL
From: Eric Job <ERIC@ETSU.BITNET>
Subject: Kermit-370 vs WallData Protocol Converters

We're trying to use Columbia's MS-Kermit 2.32/A and Kermit-CMS to upload and
download files to PCs.  Our problem is that we're using WallData Protocol
Converters, which don't appear on the list of supported protocol converters.
Has anyone ever had success with the WallData units, could anyone suggest some
directions or even give me a definitive answer as to the possibility /
imposibility of doing Kermit file transfers?  Thank you.  Please reply
directly to me.

Eric Job <ERIC@ETSU.BITNET>, (615)929-6857, BITNET TechRep
Networking/Systems Support, Office of Computer Services
Box 24,340-A, East Tennessee State University
Johnson City, TN  USA 37614-0002

[Ed. - It all depends on how the WallData protocol converter works.  First,
you should be using Kermit-370 4.1.  You should run through all of the
available SET CONTROLLER options: SERIES1, GRAPHICS, etc.  Maybe one of them
will work.  If not, either (a) the thing can't be made to work at all because
there's no way for the host to put it into and take it out of transparent
mode, or (b) it has some peculiar way of entering and exiting transparent mode
which has to be programmed into Kermit-370.  If you, or anyone, gets Kermit
working with this protocol converter (or determines that it's impossible),
please let us (and Eric) know so we can update our list.]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Apr 89 08:47:51 PDT
From: GEORGE WESTLUND <DI001%CALPOLY@cuvmb.cc.columbia.edu>
Subject: Questions about 370-Kermit and MacKermit

I have two questions regarding KERMIT.

#1   Is there a version for IBM VM/CMS that will work through ASCII
     emulation ports on an IBM 3174 remote communications controller?
     If there is could you send me the version number so I can talk our
     systems people into upgrading.  If there is not, could you put me in
     touch with someone who might be upgrading the current version to
     handle it.  We desperately need this, but do not have the time or
     personnel to do it ourselves.

[From John Chandler -- This question has been raised before, but not
conclusively answered.  In other words, we don't even know yet whether
transparent communication is possible through a 3174.  If CALPOLY is desperate
enough, it should be simple enough to investigate the possibilities
thoroughly.  If it *is* possible, I can promise that a version of Kermit-370
can be made to handle the 3174 shortly after the arrival here of a description
of how to enter and leave transparent mode.  Without that description, there's
nothing I can do, and nobody has taken on the project as far as I know.]

#2   The 0.9(40) release of MacKermit doesn't like to launch by clicking
     on the saved settings files, either that or if there is a 0.9(36) version
     on the machine as well as 40, it starts it instead, even if the file
     was saved with 40.  This is a pain.  I hope someone has already
     started working on this one.  I'd appreciate any info.

[Ed. - This has also been reported by a couple other people.  We don't know
why this happens.  The obvious solution is to have only one version on the
disk.]

George Westlund, Academic Computing Services
Cal Poly State University, San Luis Obispo, CA

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 14 Apr 89 18:35:51 -0700
From: Alastair Milne <milne@ics.uci.edu>
Subject: MacBinary for MacKermit?

A problem that has arisen with the transfer of Mac archive files from Simtel20
leads me to wonder: would it be permissible to have the regular choice of
"text" or "binary" file type extended, in MacKermit's case, to include the
choice of "MacBinary"?  At present, this is a problem with using MacKermit,
because SIT files arriving from Simtel20 in otherwise perfect condition are
being written as TEXT type files in MacBinary form -- when MacBinary is
actually intended as a protocol to permit the receiving end to reconstruct the
file just as it was on the sending Mac.  (There is even provision for placing
its icon at its old position in the new folder, though I don't claim that
MacKermit need recognise that much).

It's true that MacKermit would probably not be able to tell when the remote
system was *not* sending a MacBinary file; but the same applies at present in
most cases between binary and ASCII, and the solution would probably also be
the same.

The only way at present actually to get the file you intended seems to be to
use another application, which recognises MacBinary, to complete the
reconstruction from the downloaded file.

What is the feeling about providing such a special option in MacKermit?

Alastair Milne, U.Calif. Irvine

[Ed. - Support for MacBinary transfers is planned for a future release of
MacKermit, but probably not the forthcoming release.]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 17 Feb 89 17:58 EST
From: <TLEWIS%UTKVX1.BITNET@cuvmb.cc.columbia.edu>
Subject: Problem Kermit Running Under RSTS/E v7.2

I recently installed Kermit under RSTS/E v7.2 and it seems to work fairly
well.  Sometimes it will take the file KERMIT:KERMIT.INI when it starts
running and sometimes it won't.  Sometimes when I issue the command TAKE
KERMIT.INI (with this file in my own account) it says ER$FLK FILE IS LOCKED BY
OTHER USER.  It gives the same error sometimes when I try to issue remote
commands from a micro such as remote dir.  Is this something I can fix or is
this just one of the drawbacks that I have read about that I have to put up
with while running under 7.2?

Terry Lewis
TLEWIS@UTKVX  (bitnet)

[From Brian Nelson - This is correct. The problem is a function of the job
number being odd or even (honest).  Kermit-11 uses RMS11 v2, 7.2 uses RMS11
1.8.  RMS11 V2 uses an exec EMT that returns garbage in some field under 7.2.]

[Ed. - Also, expect a new release of PDP-11 Kermit soon which corrects a
couple minor problems (not this one).  In particular, the RT-11 version will
slightly inflate the file size sent to it in an attribute packet from another
system, so that it can preallocate enough disk space for the file, even after
expansion of (for example) linefeeds into CRLFs.]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 12 Mar 89 03:22:57 EST
From: Mark W. Eichin <eichin@athena.mit.edu>
Subject: Bug report, CP/M kermit (and other notes)

The latest kermit from ~ftp/kermit/a/cp[sx]*.asm has a minor (but
visible) bug. In cpspk2.asm, line 341 is

        mvi     a,'$'           ; dollar terminate string
        call    prtstr

(these are after the label gofi7g.)

The problem is that the '$' has to be actually moved into the string
to terminate it. Adding the line

        stax    d

between the above two solves the problem.

The bug manifests itself when doing a "receive": as soon as the remote host
sends the filename, it gets displayed on the local screen, followed by
arbitrarily large amounts of garbage (whatever code followed the filename
buffer up to the first '$', which for me tended to be about 4-5 lines of
garbage...)

[Ed. - Thanks for the fix.  It has been added to the .BWR file.]

On a related note: I have successfully ported kermit to TurboDOS (a CP/M-like
operating system written by Software 2000) so that it uses the "T-functions",
a set of standard extensions to CP/M, particularly a set of generic serial
routines. I have only tested it on my personal system, a custom port of
TurboDOS to the Radio Shack Model 4P, but it is likely to work on any TurboDOS
system. Are you interested in adding this to your collection? Are there any
stylistic constraints you require on submitted code? (I would like to see it
included, if only because there have been "people working on" TurboDOS
versions, according to your list, for at least 4 years now.)

Also, I have patches to the Simtel20 PD2:<UNIX-C.CPM>XASM.SHAR[12], an 8080
assembler which runs under UNIX, which add a LINK command, that enables it to
assemble the entire CP/M Kermit release. I will be submitting them to the
Simtel20 people, but I can send them to you as well if you are interested.

[Ed. - Yes, please send all source code either via e-mail, if the files are
small enough or on an IBM PC compatible diskette so we can add the files to
the Kermit Distribution area.]

Thanks for providing such a good *FREE* system!

                                Mark Eichin
                                <eichin@athena.mit.edu>

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 05 Apr 89 10:02:08 -0400
From: gonzalez@bbn.com
Subject: Kermit on Northstar Horizon?

Has anyone on the list successfully installed Kermit on a Northstar Horizon
running CP/M?  I have had the same trouble with both the pre- assembled
objects and locally-assembled source.  Most of it works, except that when the
host (or a terminal attached to the port) sends a character, a "D" is sent
back to the host.  Characters typed on the Northstar go out to the host
correctly.  Study of the source reveals nothing.  Has anybody else seen this
behavior?  Has this happened on other machines?  I'm running CP/M 2.23/A, by
the way, with the two built-in serial ports.

Jim Gonzalez                            AT&T: 617-873-2937
BBN Systems and Technologies Corp.      ARPA: gonzalez@bbn.com
Cambridge, Massachusetts                UUCP: ...seismo!bbn!gonzalez

------------------------------

From: munnari!yarra.oz.au!cm@uunet.uu.net (Charles Meo)
Subject: Kermit on Archives 2 Z80 Box
Date: 6 Apr 89 00:37:11 GMT

I have recently purchased (for $A100) an archives 2 cpm machine to use as a
terminal from home. This beastie works fine with generic kermit but I don't
have any documentation about the screen control codes so I can set up an
emulation for it. I need this to make life on the pyramid a bit more pleasant
when I log in.

Does anyone have any info on this box? Archives Computers don't seem to be in
business anymore in this country, so I can't ask them!  If anyone knows how
the SIO is mapped, that would be great too.  Mail me if you can help out at
all. Thanks in advance!

chuck

ps BTW this thing sold for $6k+ when it was new just 8 years ago! Moral:
digital technology has made resale value a thing of the past.

End of Info-Kermit Digest