Date: 20 May 1987 0937-CDT (Wednesday)
From: sun!mcrware!jejones (James Jones)
Subject: where OS-9 users congregate

About commercial systems where OS-9 users hang out--Mike Knudsen has
it pretty much hit on the head.  A few comments:

Kevin Darling hangs out on CompuServe as well as Delphi, though Marty
Goodman seems to have gone over to Delphi since Rainbow established
a presence there (on the other hand, such of Goodman's work that I've
seen has not been OS-9-oriented, so that doesn't really matter to me).
I have seen Steve Bjork on CIS, but I don't recall when the last time
was--he *might* have wandered over to Delphi, but I dunno.

Big drawback of Delphi, for those of us what don't have credit cards,
is that Delphi insists on being paid thataway.

I personally have mixed emotions about BIX.  Jim Omura does a heckuva
lot of work on the BIX OS-9 conference, and it evidently does see a
fair amount of activity.  On the other hand, even if I had a credit
card and thus could subscribe to BIX, I personally don't care to help
feed BYTE magazine, especially <enter sarcasm mode> given the breath-
taking scope of their OS-9 coverage <exit sarcasm mode>.  (Remember,
these are the people who posted a review of the Amiga that complained
about AmigaDOS command names and syntax, calling them "quirky" because
they actually differed from the "standard"--MS-DOS.)

Knudsen points out one of the problems of commercial systems--remember
what happened to the fellow who snarfed the whole of CIS's Apple downloads?
CIS claimed copyright over the *collection*, even if every single one
was PD.  It's good to see multiple commercial systems with OS-9 sections,
but many people can't afford more than one (heck, unless I'm careful, I
spend too much to afford one...:-); how do we make sure that the maximum
audience gets the maximum good information?  Maybe it's time to set up
an OS-9 version of FIDO.

		James Jones, from whose opinions companies and sane people
		run screaming

Date: Tue, 19 May 87 14:08:10 cdt
------------------------------

From: ihnp4!uiucuxc!uicsl.csl.uiuc.edu!klieb (Kurt T. Liebezeit)
Subject:  YASE

[Kurt offered to send his OS/9 port of YASE (Yet Another Screen Editor) to me
to distribute to the net.  We have some logistics to work out.  Watch later
digests for the code!  - JDD ]

Thanks,
Kurt Liebezeit
...!ihnp4!uiucuxc!uicsl!klieb

Date: 24 May 87 00:42:02 GMT
------------------------------

From: jimomura@lsuc.UUCP (Jim Omura)
Subject: Re: Editors and memory

[Moderator's Note:  I included this note from comp.sys.m6809 because it
brings up to important questions:
  1)  How do we best handle OS/9 sources on Usenet?
      You'll notice that Jim O and James Jones sent sources which have
      been sent out today in digests (and shar'd).  I'll go through my
      sources soon (after work slows down from 70 hour weeks) to list
      what I've got archived.
  2)  Are those interested in OS/9 getting the information?  I continue
      to get mailer errors from some of the mailing list distribution
      notably from BITNET folks.  I don't even know if some folks are
      getting the digests or if they've tried to mail back to me and
      I'm not getting their mail either.  Is Europe getting this, still?

      - JDD ]

     Posting of sources has been mainly a logistical problem for me.
When I first posted the OS-9 MicroEMACS (was it a year ago?--can't
remember) I did it exactly once.  I intended to repost for the sake
of some people who missed parts, but I never really had a chance to
do it.  I've posted a couple of things lately, in different ways,
but I'm not sure what's best.  I've sent mail to John Daleske with
sources, but only the last one was distributed.  Maybe he exercised
"editorial policy" on one of the other sources, but I think it's more
likely he never received it.  Net mail can be like that.
[You got it!  I've tried a number of paths to get mail back to you.
 No luck so far...  - JDD]

     Pete, I'd be interested in seeing the 'AR' sources.  As I write this,
(ahem--big drum roll please) I'm just preparing to post the OS-9 68K
version of MS-DOS ARC by SEA.  The port works and I have SEA's permission
to post it to the Net as well as to BIX (where it's already available)
*and* we have tentative agreement for submission to and distribution
by the Users' Group.  This all happened within the last couple of days
and it means we've taken a big step to data compatibility.

     I still haven't confirmed a reliable port of LZM compression.  I
am of the opinion that it can't be done on the Color Computer due to
the vast amount of memory it requires.  Indeed, I think the problem
with the port I've done so far may just be that I don't have enough
memory on my 1/2 meg. QT to use it.  This is a pity because LZM is
a very power full compression technique.  In a few weeks, when I'm up
to 2.5 Meg., we'll see.  Anyway, it sounds to me that the only format
which we OS-9'ers can use commonly will be 'AR' rather than 'ARC'.

     That leaves us with the problem of Uuencode v. S-Records for object
code.  I don't care much either way.  I prefer S-Records because they're
easier to fix if broken, but not everybody has that anymore.  Maybe
the best thing to post first would be a BASIC09 version of 'Exbin'.  At
anyrate, that's why I posted the Udecode.bas file.  At least we can
all access Uuencoded files.

Cheers! -- Jim O.
--
Jim Omura, 2A King George's Drive, Toronto, (416) 652-3880
ihnp4!utzoo!lsuc!jimomura

The views expressed in OS-9 Discussions are those of the individual authors
only.  Copies of digests are available by mail request.
------
Moderator:  John Daleske   cbosgd!cbdkc1!daleske    daleske@cbdkc1.ATT.COM
Submissions should go to:  cbosgd!os9               os9@cbosgd.ATT.COM
Comments to the moderator  cbosgd!os9-request       os9-request@cbosgd.ATT.COM