Date:     Mon,  3 Aug 87 15:28:20 +0200 (Central European Summertime)
From: ihnp4!DDATHD21.BITNET!XGRUMAHR (Christian Mahr)
Subject:   batch queue manager

Dear OS9 - netlanders,

I am looking for a batch queue manager for my os9/68k system.
It should execute one job after another (or 1..n jobs parallel),
create a LOG-file, watch if a limit on the cpu-time is expired
and so on.
Has anyone done something like that ?

Christian Mahr
XGRUMAHR @ ddathd21 . bitnet

Date: 27 Aug 87 10:24:46 GMT
------------------------------

From: mcvax!cernvax!paul@seismo.CSS.GOV (paul)
Subject: Ada for 68K target running Os-9 (Wanted)

Does anyone know of an Ada compiler which produces code for a target 68k running
OS-9? Does anyone want to develop one? We'd buy it off you...?

Paul Burkimsher,
Cern,
Geneva,
Switzerland
Tx: 419000 Cer CH

paul@crvxdev.bitnet
paul%cern.vxdev@uk.ac.ean-relay

Date: 28 Aug 87 02:58:04 GMT
------------------------------

From: src@xanth.cs.odu.edu (Scott R. Chilcote)
Subject: -->OS9 on the ST?!

   On Page 78 of the new (Fall '87) issue of Start, there is a full-page
advertisment for OS-9 on the ST.  For those who are unfamiliar with it,
this is a multi-tasking, real time operating system with many features
similar to UN*X.  It allows the easy addition of device drivers, which
makes it especially handy for projects involving nonstandard I/O hardware.
Unfortunately the OS is not GEM compatible.  Users will be (primarily)
those who have tried OS9 in the past and liked it (like me), those who
intend to write self-contained applications and do not mind going outside
of GEM for easy multitasking, and those who can afford the cost to check
out a versatile, UN*X-like, and compact programming environment.

   There is a large library of programming tools and applications for OS9/
68000; those which don't already run on the ST version should be relatively
easy to port.  This operating system seems to be more popular in Europe and
Japan than the US so far, but hopefully its availability for the ST should
bring it more popular support over here.

   About the advertisement:  It shows a picture of a terminal connected to
the ST, something OS9 could do without trouble even on a Tandy Color Computer.
The ST's faster clock rate and memory management should make a terminal's
performance much improved.

   There are two versions of the OS9/ST system listed: one for "Personal" use,
which comes with a high-level Basic compiler (on the order of GFA) and a set
of utility programs.  The cost will be $150 for this package.

   Then, there is the PROFESSIONAL version.  The ad claims that it will
"Turn your ST into a full C-Language workstation."  This one costs $600.

   Also mentioned is the fact that under OS9 there are already existing Pascal
and FORTRAN compilers, as well as Email and other applications (perhaps the
strongest U.S. support for OS9 [besides Microware] is Compuserve, which has
a popular OS9 SIG).

   If you want GEM compatibility, Beckmeyer's C Shell is still the only way
to go, for multitasking.  However, if a truly alternative ST operating system
grabs your fancy, OS-9 is a powerful, habit-forming new choice!

Disclaimer: I have no association with Microware other than having purchased
their products.  I am soley responsible for this article's content.
--that should do it.
src@xanth.UUCP                                                  Scott Chilcote

The views expressed in OS-9 Discussions are those of the individual authors
only.  Copies of digests are available by mail request.
------
Moderator:  John Daleske   cbosgd!cbdkc1!daleske    daleske@cbdkc1.ATT.COM
Submissions should go to:  cbosgd!os9               os9@cbosgd.ATT.COM
Comments to the moderator  cbosgd!os9-request       os9-request@cbosgd.ATT.COM