Date: Wed, 23 Sep 87 15:17:00 EST
From: uiucdcs!pur-ee!mckay (Dwight D McKay)
Subject: OS9 on the Atari ST!

OS9 for the Atari ST is out!  I have the professional OS9 package running on
my ST and I really like it.

If you're interested in hearing about it, please le me know and I'll post
a review.  If there are other ST OS9 users out there, please drop me a note
so we can start talking to each other.

--Dwight Mckay, ECN Workstation Software Support
[arpanet: mckay@ee.ecn.purdue.edu, usenet: ...ihnp4!pur-ee!mckay]
[Compu-serve: 75776,1521, office: EE 348B, phone: (317) 494-3561]

Date: 24 Sep 87 06:04:14 GMT
------------------------------

From: esl.ESL.COM!jaw@lll-lcc.arpa (John A. Willmore)
Subject: OS9 Suitable for Homebrew 68K?

I am drawing up plans for a homebrew computer system based on the
68000, and am looking for an operating system.  One of the choices
that I am considering is OS9.

Does anyone out there have experience porting OS9 to a bare system,
or have advice on where to get started doing so?  I'd appreciate
any comments, either posted or via e-mail.

Thanks,

[Moderator's Comment:  Yes, porting OS-9 to a machine is a fun and
educational activity.  It is not "free".  You would need to get a
Port Pak from Microware to make your job easier.  That costs around
$1500 (or so).  If you were building hardware for sale, that cost
is pretty low.  It gives you everything you need to put OS-9 on to
your hardware.  The documentation is easy to follow and it works.
Basically, all you need to do is write the boot procedure specific
for your machine (or, you can do it in PROM and skip the disk
portion) and the drivers for the peripherals you wish to support.
I have never had a need for the operating system sources to make the
ports I have done! - JDD]

The views expressed in OS-9 Discussions are those of the individual authors
only.  Copies of digests are available by mail request.
------
Moderator:  John Daleske   cbosgd!cbdkc1!daleske    daleske@cbdkc1.ATT.COM
Submissions should go to:  cbosgd!os9               os9@cbosgd.ATT.COM
Comments to the moderator  cbosgd!os9-request       os9-request@cbosgd.ATT.COM