Date: 17 Dec 87 13:05:25 CST (Thu)
From: <likewise!uunet!mcrware!jejones>
Subject: answers (or pointers to answers)

Ismo Salonen probably saw Puckett & Dibble at a Radio Shack store--as far as
I know, that's the only place one can get the book other than by mail from
*Rainbow* magazine.  The ISBN number is 0-932471-00-5.

Re computers on which OS-9 runs: you can call or write Microware and get a
hardware and software vendors' directory that lists sources of hardware that
runs OS-9 and software that runs under OS-9.  The phone # and address:

	Microware Systems Corporation
	1900 NW 114th
	Des Moines IA 50322
	515-224-1929

Alas, the only windowing systems I know of that run under OS-9 are the CoCo3
window system, the windowing system of the Fujitsu FM-11 and FM-77 computers,
and InVision (which will run on CD-I systems).  (Of course, I don't know
everything--all the more reason to get the software vendors' directory!)

Re salvaging disk files--the software I've seen that tries to recover files
tends to be stuff that lets you look at sectors of the raw disk and write
them selectively to files on another device.  If you are thinking of writing
something yourself, you need to familiarize yourself with the layout of RBF
devices, especially directories, LSN 0, and file descriptor sectors.  In
dire straits, if LSN 0 is garbled, you might be able to get away with using
the SS.FRZ setstat that tells the driver to *not* update the path descriptor
from LSN 0 so that you can put in (or leave intact) appropriate values.

	James Jones

The views expressed in OS-9 Discussions are those of the individual authors
only.  Copies of digests are available by mail request.
------
Moderator:  John Daleske   cbosgd!cbdkc1!daleske    daleske@cbdkc1.ATT.COM
Submissions should go to:  cbosgd!os9               os9@cbosgd.ATT.COM
Comments to the moderator  cbosgd!os9-request       os9-request@cbosgd.ATT.COM