Date: Tue, 12 Jan 88 02:09:05 +0100
From: uunet.UU.NET!diab!smtp@hp-lsd.UUCP
Subject: Source for OS-9/68K

About your note in comp.os.os9:

Are you saying that I can't send any disks to get the software on?
You said that you were not too sure about other sites between us and
their opinion about transferring megabytes of software. Wouldn't it be
better to use floppies?

[MOD: Right.  I don't have the facilities at this time to write the sources
on to a variety of disk types.  My current system only has 8 inch floppies.
I am currently building the cabling to add 5 1/4" 1.2MB drives (AT size ;-).
I AM willing to send the sources I have to Europe one time via e-mail, but
net-etiquette would prefer that the receiver there be willing to pass them
on to others requesting from the European sector.  If someone is willing to
format the sources to disk in your preferred format, we'll try to see if
we can get you those sources!  (Note the MOTD offers below.  Many of your
needs might actually be met there.) - JDD]

USER   : obg@diab.se                                +------------------+
WHOAMI : Olof Backing                               |     /        /   |
WHERE  : DIAB Data AB                               |  __/ o __.  /__  |
PHONE  : + (46) 8 768 06 60                         | (_/_<_(_/|_/_)   |
UUCP   : ...{uunet,mcvax,ukc,unido}!enea!diab!obg   +------------------+

------------------------------

Date:         Thu, 14 Jan 88 11:26:07 EST
From: "Eric W. Tilenius" <rutgers!pucc.bitnet!EWTILENI>
Subject:      Software Review - GRAFPLOT

REVIEW: GRAFPLOT graphing software for CoCo 1,2,3

(Courtesy SPECTROGRAM Magazine.)

by Eric W. Tilenius

     GRAFPLOT Version 2.0, from Hawkes Research Services, is a good package
suitable for many  graphing applications  - from budgets  to business,  and
statistics to  scientific applications.   It  is a  full featured  graphing
program, with many  options and advanced  data-handling abilities, but  the
buyer should be aware that GRAFPLOT only produces line graphs.  It will not
draw bar charts, pie  graphs, scatter graphs, or  any other type of  graph.
Instead, the author  has chosen to  concentrate on one  of the most  common
types of graphs (line  graphs) in order  to make a  program that gives  the
user much greater graphing power.  Despite a few minor complaints of  mine,
and a few features which the program  lacks (most of which are included  in
the new version of GRAFPLOT which should be available by the time you  read
this),  I  feel  that  GRAFPLOT  is  an  excellent  program  and  is  worth
consideration by  anyone who  has need  of a  graphing program.    GRAFPLOT
requires 32K and will work on a Color Computer 1, 2, or 3 (in CoCo 2  mode)
with at least 1 disk drive.

     GRAFPLOT comes on an unprotected disk and is accompanied by a 37  page
manual telling the program's features, providing examples, and showing  how
sample graphs will look.   The manual may be a  bit hard to understand  for
someone who  is  not familiar  either  with graphing  techniques  or  other
graphing programs, but otherwise does a  pretty good job of explaining  how
to use GRAFPLOT.   A prompting mode  helps the first  time user enter  data
more easily.

     Once you've become more  familiar with GRAFPLOT,  you'll see the  many
options which it  offers.  The  program can, for  instance, read your  data
from disk (from saved spreadsheet data in certain formats), from  cassette,
from the keyboard, or it can generate data from a mathematical function you
give it.  You can  have 1 or 2 "Y"  (vertical) axes, with each sharing  the
same or  different "X"  (horizontal) values.   You  can sort  data,  select
automatically or manually scaled  axes, and even perform  what is known  as
"binomial smoothing" to  take out  irregularities in your  data.   GRAFPLOT
will also integrate your data to find the area under the curve  represented
by your data between two specified points on the X-axis.

     Once you've entered and modified your data GRAFPLOT will plot a  graph
for you.   Again, many professional  options are at  your fingertips.   The
program will print a title for the graph for you on the screen (using  full
upper- and lowercase), and will let you  type in labels for the X-axis  and
one or both  of the Y-axes.   You may  then choose from  a wide variety  of
graphing symbols for  each set  of data,  including points,  open or  solid
squares and diamonds, and circles,  triangles, or crosses.  Then,  GRAFPLOT
offers you the option of connecting these points with a single line, double
line, or no line at all.  And, whatever symbol and line pattern you choose,
GRAFPLOT will display it in parentheses next to your Y-axis label.  You may
graph all of your data, or enlarge a section of your data to appear on  the
axes.

     Once you've defined  exactly what you  wish GRAFPLOT to  do with  your
data,  it  will  go  ahead  and  draw  the  graph  on  a  PMODE  4   screen
(high-resolution for  the CoCo  2).   It  does so  quickly,  but not  at  a
lightning  speed,  as  the   program  is  written   in  BASIC.     GRAFPLOT
automatically "tics" your graph, or marks it with appropriate values  along
the axes.  For  instance, if you  were dealing with  percentages from 0  to
100%, GRAFPLOT will mark the side of the Y axis with evenly spaced  numbers
from 0  to 100,  and write  the  numbers in,  too.   This produces  a  very
nicely-labeled final product.

     Once you've drawn your masterpiece,  you have (ah, yes) more  options.
First, you can  overlay another  set of data  on top  of the  already-drawn
graph.  You  can also save  the graphics screen  with the graph  on it  for
either touching  up with  a graphics  editor or  printing with  one of  the
screen print programs not supported by GRAFPLOT.   This is not the same  as
saving the raw data, which is also an available option.  At this point, you
may also return to  the main menu  to alter your  data, rescale axes,  etc.
Finally, you can  print your finished  product directly from  GRAFPLOT.   A
Radio Shack screen  dump program is  included, or you  may purchase one  of
several Custom Software  Engineering's printer  drivers.   Either of  these
will integrate with GRAFPLOT to allow you to print your graphs without ever
leaving the program.  Or, as I mentioned before, the graph can be saved and
printed with your favorite dump program, such as PRINT MASTER or HARDCOPY.

     What I like  most about GRAFPLOT  is it's power  and flexibility.   In
addition to those features mentioned above, you can "chain" data to produce
a series of graphs (of  up to 200 points each)  for large amounts of  data,
have the "tic" marks extend across the entire screen to produce a grid-like
effect, list the data on printer or screen, and more.  The tutorial section
in the manual,  while a tiny  bit hard to  follow for new  users at  first,
helps ease you into use of this program.  Sample graphs are printed at  the
end of the manual to display how different graphing options affect how  the
finished product will look.

     There are, however, some  areas in which I  felt GRAFPLOT could  stand
improvement.  The first is in its error handling.  It is possible to  enter
data that will cause the program to crash or mess-up.  In addition, at  one
point in the  program, I was  confused when  asked for "X-1"  (the first  X
value), then asked again for "X-1".  What the program actually should  have
been asking  for  in the  second  case was  "Y-1"  (the first  Y  value  to
correspond with X-1),  but for  some reason,  the obvious  error was  never
caught in my  copy.   There is,  too, an error  in the  documentation.   It
states that you can EDIT the program line that contains the data generating
function, then "GO  TO 543" if  you want  to save data  already in  memory.
Unfortunately, any time  you EDIT  or change a  program line,  all data  in
memory is lost.  The manual should  have told the user to save data  first,
before modifying the program line.

     Be warned  that all  of GRAFPLOT's  power comes  at a  price.   It  is
somewhat tricky to manage all these options to create exactly the graph you
desire, and the manual doesn't make all the options crystal clear.  So, you
may have to do  a little playing  around before you get  the hang of  using
GRAFPLOT.  Yet, I feel the benefits of having more power outweigh the  time
it takes learning to  use the program.   I guess  the final decision  comes
down to whether you make only  an occasional graph and want simplicity,  in
which case this  is not the  program for  you, or whether  you really  want
control over your graphs and the ability to produce sophisticated graphical
representations.  GRAFPLOT shines at the latter.

     My only other  gripes with GRAFPLOT  Version 2.0 concern  some of  its
limitations.  Happily, Hawkes Research Services has announced a new version
of GRAFPLOT - now available - which makes this program even more  versatile
and professional.  I was going to say that limiting the user to having  two
sets of data on the  screen at once was a  severe drawback.  But now,  with
the new version, Hawkes claims that you can have UNLIMITED overlay of data,
plus 291 graphing  symbols.  I  was going to  comment that GRAFPLOT's  disk
read format was a bit limited, but the new version let's you read data from
most all the popular  spreadsheets, according to  Hawkes.  Plus,  included,
free with your order is the  screenprint program of your choice.   Finally,
the new GRAFPLOT features moving average calculation, handy for many graphs
where you wish to calculate the average for many data points.

     GRAFPLOT has been around on the CoCo market for several years now, and
has proved itself as a reliable  performer.  Version 2.0, which I  received
for review, is excellent  in itself, and  the new version,  if it does  all
that Hawkes  says it  will, should  set  a new  standard in  CoCo  graphing
programs.  I  was also impressed  with the trust  and support which  Hawkes
gives to the  customer.  In  addition to quality  service, Hawkes offers  a
30-day money-back guarantee if not satisfied.   On a scale of 1-5  (1=poor,
5=excellent), I would give GRAFPLOT Version 2.0 a rating of 4. And, while I
haven't seen the newer  version in action, I  can anticipate giving that  a
4.5 or so.

     My final wish for this program is that, eventually, Hawkes rewrite  it
to take advantage of the  CoCo 3's 640 by 192  graphics mode.  With all  of
GRAFPLOT's outstanding features,  and the  CoCo 3's  better graphics,  this
program would be truly spectacular.

     GRAFPLOT is  available from  Hawkes  Research Services,  859  Stanford
Avenue, Oakland, CA 94608.  Phone (415) 547-7557.  The program costs $40 on
tape, or $45 on disk  (I would strongly recommend  the disk version if  you
have a drive), plus $3 Shipping and handling.  Please specify your  printer
when ordering.  You may also purchase a demo on disk or tape for $5; if you
decide to order GRAFPLOT, you'll receive a $5 credit towards the program.

[[Ed note: I'm still waiting for someone to come out with a REALLY
hi-resolution CoCo 3 only 640x200 with 4 color graphing program. Anyone
ready to tackle the job?   :-)  ]]

------------------------------

From: "Eric W. Tilenius" <rutgers!pucc.bitnet!EWTILENI>
Date:         Sat, 16 Jan 88 14:28:49 EST
Subject:      Excellent Sources of Color Computer Information!

In addition to The Rainbow, the best magazine devoted to the Tandy
Color Computer, there are several other sources that I can recommend.
(I assume all of you get, or at least know of, The Rainbow - it's
practically indespensible.  If for some reason, you don't know about
it, I can give you the info.)

There is a new magazine for the CoCo called CoCo Clipboard Magazine.
It comes out bi-monthly, and is off to a nice start - it's packed with
useful information. Authors such as Wayne Day, Kraig Brockschmidt,
Randy Krippner, Bob van der Poel, Delmar Searles, Rush Caley, Mike
Dooley, and Bill Bernico provide helpful columns on everything from
business to ham radio to programming.  OS9, ML, and Pascal sections
are included.

Subscriptions are only $12 a year.  To subscribe, you can send your
check to:

          CoCo Clipboard Magazine
          3742 U.S. 20
          Box 3
          Fredonia, NY 14063

Also, if anyone is looking for a User's Group out there, write for more
information to:

The Island CoCo Club, P.O. Box 426, Massapequa Park, NY 11762.

They have one of the best User Group newsletters around, and will send
you one on request.  Membership is quite reasonable.

- ERIC -

P.S. I'm a member of The Island CoCo Club, and a subscriber to CoCo
Clipboard, but otherwise have no affiliation with them.  This information
is passed along as a public service.

------------------------------

Date: 20 Jan 88 22:13:51 GMT
From: pete%wlbr@etn-wlv.eaton.com (Pete Lyall)
Subject: OS9 User Group Library

Group information here in Comp.Sys.M6809. For starters, here's a
relatively recent catalogue of what we have available in the User
Group Library. Specific questions should be directed to the OS9 User
Group Librarian (Carl Kreider - 71076,76 on CIS) or the User Group
President (Dave Kaleita - 70150,521 on CIS, OS9UGPRES on Delphi) as
they are the most familiar. I'll be happy to answer what I can, or at
least re-route the questions.

I'll be happy to help with any User Group related queries/problems
that I can, but I'm still getting my feet wet so be patient with me
please. The User Group was pretty close to being out of service when
Dave Kaleita stepped in. Since then, it seems we are coming out the
dark, both financially and organizationally. The new MOTD (newsletter)
should be out shortly (if not already) as well. Current Staff is:

President 	Dave Kalieta (as above)
Vice President	Pete Lyall (as below in .signature except
		OS9UGVP on Delphi)

Secretary	Kevin Darling (76703,4227 CIS; KDARLING on Delphi)
Treasurer	Steve Odneal  (OS9UGTREAS on Delphi)
MOTD Editor	Bill Brady    (OS9UGED on Delphi, also on CIS and
			       GENIE [?????,???])

Librarian	Carl Kreider	(as above)

I'll get more information posted here as it becomes available. Thanks
for being patient!

           OS-9 Users Group Software Library Volumes - 08/11/87

   NOTE: PLEASE READ THE FILE "UGLIB.TXT" (ELSEWHERE IN THIS COMPUSERVE DL)
   BEFORE ORDERING ANY OF THE FOLLOWING VOLUMES FROM THE OS-9 USERS GROUP!!

    No.  Done?      Title:                                Format:   Who?

     0.09  Y  New Member Intro                                  3*  DK
     1.01  Y  Spelling Checker (Improved; 6809 & 68K)           4   DK
     2.02  Y  Spelling Dictionary (102,681 words, 6809 & 68K)   5   DK
     3.01  Y  Word Processing Utils                             1*  DK
     4.01  Y  Programming Utilities                             1*  DK
     5.00  Y  File Processing Utils                             1*  DK
     6.02  Y  Adventure Game (source)                           4   CK
     7.02  Y  Adventure Game (object)                           3   CK
     8.00  Y  General Interest (demo, games, finance)           1   CK
     9.00  Y  C Programmer's Tool Kit                           3   CK
    10.00  Y  Math & Electronics                                1   GD
    11.00  Y  Word Processing Utils               (disk #2)     1   CK
    12.00  Y  Programming Utilities               (disk #2)     1   CK
    13.00  Y  File Processing Utils               (disk #2)     1   CK
    14.03  Y  File Maintenance                                  1*  CK
    15.01  Y  Communication                                     1   CK
    16.00  Y  Hardware Customizations                           1   CK
    17.00  Y  Basic09 Programmer's Tool Kit                     1   CK
    18.00  Y  System Utilities                                  1   CK
    19.01  Y  Languages 1: XLisp (source)                       4   CK
    20.00  Y  XLisp (object)                                    1   DK
    21.00  Y  File maintenance                    (disk #2)     1*  CK
    22.00  Y  Programming Utilities               (disk #3)     1   CK
    23.00  Y  File Processing Utils               (disk #3)     1   CK
    24.01  Y  General Interest                    (disk #2)     1   CK
    25.02  Y  Word Processing Utils               (disk #3)     1   CK
    26.01  Y  C Language Math Library (6809 only)               3   CK
    27.01  N  <undefined>
    28.00  Y  68K Utilities                                     1   CK
    29.00  Y  File Maintenance                    (disk #3)     1   CK
    30.00  Y  File Processing Utils               (disk #4)     1   CK
    31.00  Y  Hardware Customizations             (disk #2)     1   CK
    32.00  Y  Hardware Customizations             (disk #3)     1   CK
    33.00  Y  System Utilities                    (disk #2)     1   CK
    34.00  Y  Hardware Customizations             (disk #4)     1   CK
    35.00  Y  System Utilities                    (disk #3)     1   CK
    36.00  Y  General Interest                    (disk #3)     1   CK
    37.01  Y  Communication (6809 & 68K Kermit)   (disk #2)     2   CK
    38.00  Y  Programming Utilities               (disk #4)     1   CK
    39.00  Y  Communication (Freeware)            (disk #3)     4   CK
    40.00  Y  System Utilities                    (disk #4)     1   CK
    41.00  Y  Programming Utilities               (disk #5)     1   CK
    42.00  Y  Coco Graphics                                     1   CK
    43.00  Y  System Utilities                    (disk #5)     1   CK
    44.01  Y  Communication (Smod8)               (disk #4)     1   CK
    45.00  Y  Coco Graphics                       (disk #2)     2   CK
    46.00  Y  Text Processing Utils (Sled)                      2   CK
    47.00  Y  Text Processing Utils (68K Runoff)  (disk #2)     4   CK
    48.01  N  <undefined>
    49.00  Y  Text Processing Utils (MicroEMACS)  (disk #3)     5   CK
    50.00  Y  68K Utilities                       (disk #2)     1   CK
    51.00  Y  68K Utilities                       (disk #3)     1   CK
    52.01  Y  Math & Electronics                  (disk #2)     1   CK
    53.00  Y  68K Utilities                       (disk #4)     1   CK
    54.00  Y  File Maintenance                    (disk #4)     1   CK
    55.00  Y  Text Processing Utils (QED for L2)  (disk #4)     4   CK
    56.00  Y  Data Base Management  (SDB for L2)                4   CK

NOTES: 1) Above formats follow the following convention:

                  Type "A"           Type "B"            Type "C"
        Code  Std. OS-9 Format:  CoCo OS-9 Format:  Atari OS-9 Format:
                   (5.25")            (5.25")            (3.5")

          1    35 track ss sd     35 track ss dd     80 track ss dd
          2    35 track ds sd     35 track ss dd     80 track ss dd
          3    40 track ss sd     35 track ss dd     80 track ss dd
          4    40 track ds sd     40 track ss dd     80 track ss dd
          5    40 track ds dd     40 track ds dd     80 track ss dd
          6    80 track ds dd     80 track ds dd     80 track ds dd

       *  In  order  for volumes whose format codes  (above)  are
          indicated   with  an  asterisk  ("*")  to  fit  in  the
          specified  format,  the disk is created with a  default
          sector  allocation  of 1 sector per directory (made  by
          doctoring  the  "segment allocation size" byte  in  the
          device descriptor of the drive on which the master disk
          is made).

       2) All  of  the above volumes are available  in  Microware
          standard, Atari ST 3.5", and TRS-80 Color Computer (dd,
          18 sectors/track, etc.) formats.  Specify "TYPE B" when
          ordering  if running a Color Computer; specify "TYPE C"
          if  running  OS-9  on  an Atari  ST  computer.   Please
          remember  that some volumes of the Library will not fit
          on  all  formats  of disk.  If you do not  specify  the
          format you desire, you will be shipped either Microware
          standard   5.25"  OS-9 format (i.e., "TYPE "A"), or the
          format  we have on file for you (as specified by you on
          your  original membership/renewal application).  Please
          note  that  8" disks are no longer  available  directly
          from  the  UG. Write us if you really need 8"  (or  any
          other format disks we do not officially support for any
          given volume of the library); we may be able to put you
          in  contact with another UG volunteer member who  could
          do the conversion for you.

       3) Volumes   which  are not metioned above, or are  marked
          with  a "N" in the "Done?" column, are NOT AVAILABLE at
          this  time. Orders for unavailable volumes will not  be
          processed.

       4) Send  orders  to the main UG address, making  sure  the
          envelope is clearly marked "ATTN: DISK ORDERS".  Orders
          marked anything other than "DISK ORDERS" may be delayed
          an  additional 4 to 6 weeks.  DO NOT ADDRESS YOUR ORDER
          (OR  CORRESPONDENCE  ABOUT YOUR ORDER) TO "LIBRARY"  OR
          "LIBRARIAN".

       5) The  ENTIRE OS-9 UG Library is presently available in a
          special   set   of  nine  5.25"  80  track   (96   tpi)
          double-sided  double-density STANDARD (i.e.,  non-CoCo)
          OS-9   format disks (UG format type "A6" ONLY).  Please
          note  that  this  set  contains all  software  that  is
          presently  contained  in  the  UG  Library  EXCEPT  the
          spelling  dictionary,  which is ONLY available  on  the
          individual Volume #2 library disk.  This archive set is
          presently unavailable in Color Computer format.

          To   order any of the above individual volumes from the
          OS-9  Users Group Software Library, send $6.00 for each
          5.25" disk and $8.00 for each 3.5" disk to:

                             OS-9 Users Group
                             ATTN: DISK ORDERS
                     1715 East Fowler Ave., Suite R237
                           Tampa, Florida 33612

          The  special  multi-disk Archive set on 80 track ds  dd
          standard  format  disks  is available for  $90  at  the
          present  time.  This price is subject to change without
          notice as the number of disks in the set increases (the
          price  will  remain $10 X N, where N is the  number  of
          disks  in the set).  When ordering, please refer to the
          set as the "multi-disk archive set".

          Payment  for  disk orders may be made by check,  Master
          Card  or  Visa ONLY.  Please remember to  include  your
          complete   mailing  address,  telephone  number(s),   a
          description of the disk format you want and, of course,
          your payment.

          Orders will be accepted from MEMBERS ONLY.

I think that Frank Hogg is now also an outlet for the UGLIB disks. I
don't believe you need to be a member to acquire library disks from
Frank (although we'd *like* you to join *8^})

--
Pete Lyall (OS9 Users Group V.P.)             Eaton Corporation (818)-706-5693
Compuserve: 76703,4230 (OS9 Sysop) OS9 (home): (805)-985-0632 (24hr./1200 baud)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Jan 88 07:09:36 est
From: ihnp4!ihwpt!knudsen
Subject: Suggestion for an OS9 utility

I'd like to find, or get help to write, a simple (?)
utility that would read thru an entire diskette and
find all the bad (as in unreadable) sectors and mark
them as in-use on the sector allocation bitmap so that
they would never be assigned to any future files.

Options from the command line would control:
*what to do if a bad sector is already allocated
(at least type warning; better to find what file it belongs
to; maybe unlink it from that file);

*whether to try and re-format just each bad sector (write
some pattern on it and try to re-read it.  If this works,
then media itself is not [quite as] faulty.)

*whether to create a single file in the root directory,
named BAD.SECTORS, which would contain all the baddies.
(I dislike this, since now a user could DEL that file
and have all those bad sectors "loose" again.)

I know that FORMAT is supposed to identify bad sectors when a
disk is first formatted and set their allocation bits.
However, I often find bad sectors showing up later,
especially on DS80-track disks.

I know how to read thru all the sectors (open /Dn@),
but need some serious study of the allocation bitmap
area.  Also I assume it's very hard to find what file
a given sector belongs to -- must search every file in every
directory.  Or is there a faster way?  I know DCHECK
can identify files with duplicate sectors, but I assume
it starts with a recursive descent thru the directory tree anyway.

------------------------------

Date: 22 Jan 88 05:25:07 GMT
From: pete%wlbr@etn-wlv.eaton.com (Pete Lyall)
Subject: Disk Speeds

======================= Results ==============================

Running Larry Harmon's 'diskspeed' test (from USENET's
comp.sys.m6809), I obtained the following results on the
GIMIX and the COCO3:

Gimix
=====

System         - GIMIX 2 (6809) running at 2.25 Mhz.
Hard Disk      - NEC 5146 (40 Mb) under Elektra DBI controller
                 with Xebec SASI board (DMA)
Floppies       - Mitsubishi 80 Tr under Gimix FD controller (DMA)
Ramdisk        - Gimix (Rich Hogg) Vdisk.
Clock          - Real time built in.

Test: date t; diskspeed testfile 400; date t

Hard Disk                Floppy Disk              Ram Disk
---------                -----------              --------
 21 sec                    91 Sec*                  16 Sec

* Floppy Verify was disabled (vfy=01)

Coco3
=====

System         - Coco3 running at 1.79 Mhz
Hard Disk      - ST225 (20 meg) under the Bruce Isted/FHL HCA and
                 WD1002-05 controller.
Floppy Disk    - Tandon TM101-2 40 Tr under J&M standard floppy
                 controller.
Ramdisk        - From Tandy OS9 LII Developer's Pal
Clock          - Real time (PBJ with Bruce Isted's CC3/LII hacks)

Test: date t; diskspeed testfile 400; date t

Hard Disk                Floppy Disk              Ram Disk
---------                -----------              --------
 14 sec                    91 Sec*                  10 Sec

* Floppy Verify was disabled (vfy=01)

It would be interesting to see what kind of other results are
being gotten on other hard disk (and no-halt) floppy systems.

--
Pete Lyall (OS9 Users Group VP)|  DELPHI: OS9UGVP  |  Eaton Corp.(818)-706-5693

Date: 21 Jan 88 23:51:31 GMT
From: pete%wlbr@ETN-WLV.EATON.COM (Pete Lyall)
Subject: OS9 USERS GROUP INFO

GROUP, here's another blurb. This one (obviously) pertains to general
membership info.

     The OS-9 Users Group is an international non-profit
organization of approximately 800 members (and growing) devoted
to exchanging and distributing information about, and public
domain software for, all available versions of the OS-9 Operating
system. The OS-9 Users Group is the only independent group
officially recognized by Microware (the developers of OS-9) as an
official voice of its users.

     The OS-9 Users Group periodically publishes a newsletter
entitled "MOTD" which contains many useful articles, software
listings, and other information helpful in keeping OS-9 computing
enjoyable and rewarding. Other membership benefits include free
technical help referrals (by mail or electronic BBS) and
significant discounts on the purchase of individual volumes of
the OS-9 Users Group Public Domain Software Library. One year
memberships in the group cost $25.00 for individuals and $150 for
companies (corporate membership) and includes a subscription to
the MOTD newsletter, one free disk of public domain software
(archive set of entire Library for corporate members), and the
right to purchase additional disks of software at a very
reasonable cost. The group's public domain software library
currently has over 56 individual volumes of software comprised of
almost 300 individual programs. The library is constantly growing
due to the group's policy of sending one volume (disk) from the
library free for each individual program donated by a member. For
more complete information on the OS-9 Users Group, including a
complete catalog listing of (and ordering information for) all
currently available volumes in the Group's public domain software
library, visit the OS-9 Forums on either the CompuServe or Delphi
electronic networks.

     To join the OS-9 Users Group, fill out the application form
reproduced below (or facsimile thereof) and send to the address
at the bottom of the form.

Visa and Master Card are accepted.

                        OS-9 Users Group
                   (A non-profit organization)
            Application for New or Renewal Membership

Are you applying for a NEW or RENEWAL membership? _______________

Name: ___________________________________________________________

Company Name (for Corporate memberships only):___________________

Address: ________________________________________________________

City, State, Zip: _______________________________________________

Country: ________________________________________________________

Telephone Number(s): ____________________________________________

Type of Computer System you are running OS-9 on: ________________

Format of OS-9 floppy disks you can read:

          5.25" _______    8" _______     3.5" _______

          Single-Sided _______     Double-Sided _______

        Single-Density _______     Double-Density _______

Microware Format _______     TRS-80 Color Computer Format _______

Atari ST Format _______     Other OS-9 Format ___________________

CompuServe ID Number: _______________  Delphi ID: _______________

BIX address: _______________  UseNet address: ___________________

GENIE address: ______________  Other BBS address: _______________

Would you be willing to volunteer your time and effort to work on
one of the OS-9 Users Group's committees or run for an office? If
so, please describe the capacity in which you would like to get
involved:

[ ] Check here if you DO NOT want your name and address printed
    in a member directory.

Number of years membership you are enclosing payment for: _______

INDIVIDUAL MEMBERSHIPS IN THE OS-9 USERS GROUP ARE $25.00 PER YEAR

        CORPORATE (COMPANY) MEMBERSHIPS ARE $150 PER YEAR

Type of membership applied for: [ ] Corporate   [ ] Individual

(As the OS-9 Users Group is a registered non-profit organization,
 any other charitable donations will also be gladly accepted.)

          Total Payment enclosed: ___________________

Method of payment: Check Number _____________________

Master Card Number ____________________ Expiration Date _________

Visa Card Number ______________________ Expiration Date _________

Signature: _______________________________________ Date _________

          Make all checks payable to "OS-9 Users Group"

Send application to:    OS-9 Users Group
                        ATTN: MEMBERSHIP
                1715 East Fowler Ave., Suite R237
                         Tampa, FL 33612

Please allow 4 to 6 weeks before inquiring about your application.

     Shortly after acceptance of your application for new
membership, you will receive a copy of the current issue of the
OS-9 Users Group newsletter ("MOTD"), and soon after that, the
"starter" diskette, UG Library Volume #0, with software of the
type useful in getting you started with both OS9 and the Users
Group. Additional volumes in the OS-9 Users Group Library may be
purchased at a very reasonable cost at any time after your
membership is processed.

     Current members who renew their membership will receive a UG
"donation credit" post card, which may be redeemed for most UG
products and services at any time during your membership.

     If you have any further questions regarding the OS-9 Users
Group, you should stop in at the "OS-9 Forum" here on CompuServe
by typing "GO OS9" at any prompt; there are a number of
information files in the DL1 section of that forum that will give
you ordering information about the individual volumes of software
available in the Users Group's library. Alternately, you may
contact David Kaleita at CompuServe ID #70150,521 or Delphi ID
"OS9UGPRES", or write to the address given above on the
membership application form.

Date: 21 Jan 88 23:54:47 GMT
From: pete%wlbr@ETN-WLV.EATON.COM (Pete Lyall)

some information on ordering disks from the OS9 USERS GROUP LIBRARY.

           Instructions For Ordering UG Library Disks
           (for members of the OS-9 Users Group ONLY)

    PLEASE READ CAREFULLY BEFORE SENDING IN YOUR DISK ORDER!!

1) Note what type of computer system you are running OS-9 on.
Theoretically, all OS-9 systems should be able to read one or
more of the following format disks:

Type "A": Standard Microware Format (track 0 is single density,
          all tracks are 16 sectors long)

Type "B": Tandy Color Computer Format (all tracks are double
          density and 18 sectors long)

Type "C": Atari 3.5" Format (Micro-Floppy 3.5" disks, 80 tracks,
          all tracks double density)

2) Determine what type of floppy disk drives you have on your
OS-9 computer system. The available choices are...

           Type "A"           Type "B"            Type "C"
 Code  Std. OS-9 Format:  CoCo OS-9 Format:  Atari OS-9 Format:
            (5.25")            (5.25")            (3.5")

   1    35 track ss sd     35 track ss dd     80 track ss dd
   2    35 track ds sd     35 track ss dd     80 track ss dd
   3    40 track ss sd     35 track ss dd     80 track ss dd
   4    40 track ds sd     40 track ss dd     80 track ss dd
   5    40 track ds dd     40 track ds dd     80 track ss dd
   6    80 track ds dd     80 track ds dd     80 track ds dd

             KEY: ss=single sided,  ds=double sided,
                  sd=single density, dd=double density

 Choose the codes above which represent the formats of disks you
know you are able to read. For example, most TRS-80 Color
Computers can only read formats #B1, #B2, #B3 and (sometimes) #B4
above. This indicates that a person with a stock Color Computer
should be careful to only order Library volumes with these format
codes. DO NOT ORDER LIBRARY DISKS WITH FORMAT CODES OTHER THAN
THE ONES WHICH YOU KNOW YOUR SYSTEM IS ABLE TO READ!

3) Choose the Volume Numbers of the individual disks you would
like to order, carefully noting the format code of each volume
you would like to order. IF THE FORMAT CODE OF THE DISK YOU WOULD
LIKE TO ORDER DOES NOT MATCH THE CODE OF A FORMAT YOUR COMPUTER
SYSTEM IS ABLE TO READ (as calculated in step 2 above), YOU
SHOULD NOT ORDER THAT VOLUME!! Yes, this means that it is
possible that a disk you want may not be available in a format
you can read. This is sometimes necessary when an individual
program on a disk is too big to fit on a small format disk.
In particular, it should be noted that Volumes #2, and #49 cannot
be used on most TRS-80 Color Computers. Care should also be taken
before ordering Volumes #6, #19, #39, #47, #55 and #56 (and any
others whose format code is 4 or greater). Also note that the
multi-disk "Archive Set" of the entire UG Library is only
available in STANDARD MICROWARE FORMAT on 80 track ds dd disks
(format number A6) ONLY and can therefore not be used on a stock
TRS-80 Color Computer or Atari ST Computer.

4) Prices for individual volumes are as follows (as of December,
1987):

           Type "A"           Type "B"            Type "C"
 Code  Std. OS-9 Format:  CoCo OS-9 Format:  Atari OS-9 Format:
            (5.25")            (5.25")            (3.5")

   1      $6.00 each         $6.00 each         $8.00 each
   2      $6.00 each         $6.00 each         $8.00 each
   3      $6.00 each         $6.00 each         $8.00 each
   4      $6.00 each         $6.00 each         $8.00 each
   5      $6.00 each         $6.00 each         $8.00 each
   6     $10.00 each        $10.00 each        $10.00 each

NOTE: PRICES ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE WITHOUT NOTICE! Orders
received 30 days or more after an official price change (as
announced in the MOTD newsletter) are subject to the new price
schedule. Orders sent with insufficient payment will be returned
unprocessed unless specific instructions to do otherwise are
included with the order.

5) Fill out the order blank reproduced below (or facsimile
thereof) with all of the necessary information:

          OS-9 Users Group Software Library Order Form
           (For Members of the OS-9 Users Group ONLY)

FROM...   Name: _________________________________________________

          Address: ______________________________________________

          City, State, Zip: _____________________________________

          Telephone Number(s): __________________________________

Computer Disk format Type (A, B or C - from instructions): ______

Format Code(s) of floppy disks you can read
     (1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and/or 6 - from instructions): ______________

                              Format:      Price:
         Quantity: Volume # |Type Code| Each | Total |
        |         |   **    |    | ** |  **  |       |
        +---------+---------+----+----+------+-------+
        |         |         |    |    |      |       |
        +---------+---------+----+----+------+-------+
        |         |         |    |    |      |       |
        +---------+---------+----+----+------+-------+
        |         |         |    |    |      |       |
        +---------+---------+----+----+------+-------+
        |         |         |    |    |      |       |
        +---------+---------+----+----+------+-------+
        |         |         |    |    |      |       |
        +---------+---------+----+----+------+-------+
        |         |         |    |    |      |       |
        +---------+---------+----+----+------+-------+
        |         |         |    |    |      |       |
        +---------+---------+----+----+------+-------+
        |         |         |    |    |      |       |
        +---------+---------+----+----+------+-------+

** Note: Information indicated by a "**" above should be taken
from the current UG Library Volumes listing, as reproduced in the
UG newsletter.

Archive Set of Entire UG Library (available as set of eleven disks
in format #A6 ONLY. Not Color Computer Compatible):

                              Format:      Price:
         Quantity: Volume # |Type Code| Each | Total |
        +---------+---------+----+----+------+-------+
        |         | Archive |  A | 6  | $100 |       |
        +---------+---------+----+----+------+-------+
        |         | Archive |  A | 6  | $100 |       |
        +---------+---------+----+----+------+-------+

Please write us if you desperately need any of the above disks in
any format other than the ones we currently offer (such as 8"
disks, other formats, etc.). We may be able to put you in touch
with another volunteer UG member who could do the conversion for
you.

          Total Payment enclosed: ___________________

Method of payment: Check Number _____________________

Master Card Number ____________________ Expiration Date _________

Visa Card Number ______________________ Expiration Date _________

Signature: _______________________________________ Date _________

          Make all checks payable to "OS-9 Users Group"

Send disk order to:     OS-9 Users Group
                        ATTN: DISK ORDER
                1715 East Fowler Ave., Suite R237
                         Tampa, FL 33612

  Please allow 6 weeks before inquiring about your order.

Date: 22 Jan 88 05:50:13 GMT
From: blarson@skat.usc.EDU (Bob Larson)
Subject: Re: OS9 USERS GROUP INFO (disk orders)

A couple of notes regarding ordering os9 users group disks:

The prices quoted in Pete Lyall's article are for os9 users group
members only.  (See his other article on how to join.)

An alternate way to get them, for higher prices (but probably faster
delivery) is to order them directly from Frank Hogg Labs.  This
leagal, they are all public domain, and Frank gives a portion of the
proceeds to the group.  (315)474-7856  You do not have to be a member
to order them this way.
--
Bob Larson	Arpa: Blarson@Ecla.Usc.Edu	blarson@skat.usc.edu
Uucp: {sdcrdcf,cit-vax}!oberon!skat!blarson

------------------------------

Date: 26 Jan 88 20:53:06 GMT
From: mcvax!cernvax!roberto@uunet.uu.net (roberto)
Subject: Kermit68K/OS9, looking for Steve Williams and Miguel Herias

I'm posting this message to comp.os.os9 because I'm desperately looking
for Steve Williams and Miguel Herias (the University of Texas at Austin).

These guys wrote the OS9 system dependent part of Kermit68K, a portable
Kermit program for the 680x0 family of processors, of wich I'm the author.
Now I'm ready to release the version 1.1 of Kermit68K/OS9 but I'm not
able to contact the above mentioned people (in other word I haven't the
new OS9 system dependent part).

I hope that they read this newsgroup. Any pointer will be appreciated,
the last message I've received from Steve and Miguel is dated
12 November 1987.
Thanks

           Roberto Bagnara             UUCP, BITNet: roberto@cernvax
           CERN
           DD Division - OC Group

[MOD:  I hope this helps! Another place might be to post in the kermit
newsgroup. - JDD]
The views expressed in OS-9 Discussions are those of the individual authors
only.  Copies of digests are available by mail request.
------
Moderator:  John Daleske   cbosgd!cbdkc1!daleske    daleske@cbdkc1.ATT.COM
Submissions should go to:  cbosgd!os9               os9@cbosgd.ATT.COM
Comments to the moderator  cbosgd!os9-request       os9-request@cbosgd.ATT.COM