[comp.os.os9] 3-1/2 inch floppy drives

bill@mfgfoc.UUCP (Bill McDowell) (07/27/88)

I am considering using a 3-1/2 inch floppy drive (Fuji M2537K)
on a system running OS9/68000 version 2.2

I am under the impression so far that the OS only supports
5-1/4 and 8 inch floppy drives directly, although I can use a
descriptor intended for an 80-track 5-1/4 drive to obtain
640kBytes on the Fuji M2537K.

The Fuji M2537K has the capability of storing 1.4MBytes.

Does anyone know how I can take advantage of the 3-1/2 inch
drives capabilities?  Thank you.

Take your shoes off, set a spell.  Y'all call back, now. Y'hear?

--
Bill McDowell                         FOCUS Semiconductor Systems Inc.
net: (daver!mfgfoc!bill)              570 Maude Court

jejones@mcrware.UUCP (James Jones) (07/27/88)

In article <385@mfgfoc.UUCP>, bill@mfgfoc.UUCP (Bill McDowell) writes:
> I am considering using a 3-1/2 inch floppy drive (Fuji M2537K)
> on a system running OS9/68000 version 2.2
>
> I am under the impression so far that the OS only supports
> 5-1/4 and 8 inch floppy drives directly, although I can use a
> descriptor intended for an 80-track 5-1/4 drive to obtain
> 640kBytes on the Fuji M2537K.

The only time I ever hacked device drivers was long ago in Oklahoma, but...
some general advice: first, make sure your controller can handle that format;
then, find out whether the device driver is written to support it.  If it is,
then find out whether it checks for a particular value in, say, PD_TYP or
some such field in the device descriptor to decide whether to use that format,
and create an appropriate device descriptor.

If the controller can do what you want, but the driver doesn't support it,
then it's time to go to the folks who wrote the device driver.

		James Jones

adp@moscom.UUCP (Alan Percy) (07/28/88)

In article <385@mfgfoc.UUCP> bill@mfgfoc.UUCP (Bill McDowell) writes:
>I am considering using a 3-1/2 inch floppy drive (Fuji M2537K)
>on a system running OS9/68000 version 2.2
>
>The Fuji M2537K has the capability of storing 1.4MBytes.
>
>Does anyone know how I can take advantage of the 3-1/2 inch
>drives capabilities?

Sure, change the RBF Device Descriptor for the 3 1/2 disk.
You probably want to change the number of cylinders (PD_CYL)
to 160 instead of 80.  This is naturally assuming that you
have the drive connected in place of a 5 1/4 inch unit.

If you don't have source for building RBF descriptors, you
can "patch" a copy of the current one you have.
The PD_CYL value is offset into the device descriptor module by $4e.
Change the value to 160, then FIXMOD the module.
--
Alan Percy..........................{rutgers,ames,cmcl2}!rochester!moscom!adp

hase@netmbx.UUCP (Hartmut Semken) (07/29/88)

In article <385@mfgfoc.UUCP> bill@mfgfoc.UUCP (Bill McDowell) writes:
>I am under the impression so far that the OS only supports
>5-1/4 and 8 inch floppy drives directly, although I can use a
>descriptor intended for an 80-track 5-1/4 drive to obtain
>640kBytes on the Fuji M2537K.

"Normal" 3.5 inch drives are the same as 5.25 inch drives to the computer.
So you were successful.

>The Fuji M2537K has the capability of storing 1.4MBytes.
>
>Does anyone know how I can take advantage of the 3-1/2 inch

>drives capabilities? Thank you.

2 MB- (unformatted) drives are "similiar" to 8 inch drives (data
rate...).  Try to tell your system to use it as an 8 inch drive.  This
should work and give you 1.2 MByte formatted capacity.

hase
--
Hartmut Semken, Lupsteiner Weg 67, 1000 Berlin 37 hase@netmbx.UUCP
High on a rocky promontory sat an Electric Monk on a bored horse. (D. Adams)