[comp.os.os9] C-Compiler Bug V2.2

jh@materna.uucp (Juergen Hackenbroich) (08/25/88)

When developping a program I accidently wrote some
sort of code like the part below.

The error message was very funny and unexpected.

 psect test_c,0,0,0,0,0
 nam test_c
* void flush();			!!! declared as void
*
* main()
* {
*       if (flush())		!!! but used as int
*       ;;
 bsr flush
 tst.? d0 :2			!!! and the compiler is upset
*
* void flush()
* {
* }

hacki

jejones@mcrware.UUCP (James Jones) (08/27/88)

In article <395@materna.uucp>, jh@materna.uucp (Juergen Hackenbroich) writes:

> When developping a program I accidently wrote [code which attempted to use
> a void value returned by a function]...

This is a known bug; it will be fixed come next release.  I've seen literature
on generating test cases (and even wrote something once to generate random
sentences of a given input grammar), but in some sense I wonder if it's
harder to automatically generate something buggy!

		James Jones