[comp.os.os9] 6809 ROMed boot file

rburgos@pacsbb.UUCP (robert burgos) (08/30/88)

Help !!!!
I would like to ROM OS9 for a process control application.
I have the Microware manuals for Level II OS9/6809 and they say
that OS9 can be ROMED but what they fail to show you is where to put
your MPU VECTORS !  How do you include the MPU vectors and any other
initialization in the file that you download to your EPROM BURNER ?
All Microware has to say about this is modules are romable, I attempted
to make an eprom containing all the necessary modules but it failed !

Please leave newsletter !
Thanks...... Bob Burgos Phila Area Computer Society @ LaSalle University
                        Philadelphia, Pennsylvania}i U.S.A.

pete@wlbr.EATON.COM (Pete Lyall) (09/03/88)

In article <416@pacsbb.UUCP> rburgos@pacsbb.UUCP (robert  burgos) writes:

>Help !!!!
>I would like to ROM OS9 for a process control application.
>I have the Microware manuals for Level II OS9/6809 and they say
>that OS9 can be ROMED but what they fail to show you is where to put
>your MPU VECTORS !  How do you include the MPU vectors and any other
>initialization in the file that you download to your EPROM BURNER ?
>All Microware has to say about this is modules are romable, I attempted
>to make an eprom containing all the necessary modules but it failed !

Well, in old Coco Os9 Level I, the vectors were right after the OS9
module, and right before OS9P2. I can't remember, but there were either
16 or 32 bytes worth (look at an old Coco LI Boot Track right after
the OS9 module's CRC bytes, or better yet look in RAM using the DEBUG
tool - assuming you have access to level I Coco!).

Ideally - assuming that you have a vanilla 6809 system, these vectors
should go at the very top of the address map. Coco vector mapping was
strange because they faked out some of the addressing logic with the
SAM chip.... thus, addresses in the FFF0-FFFF range actually caused
the COLOR BASIC ROM to be mapped in, and the data in locations
BFF0-BFFF was used. These pointed in most cases to RAM HOOK vectors in
the $01xx area. Only the actual RESET vector was sent into the ROM
itself at $A027.

In my Gimix, I believe the BOOT EPROM is mapped to the top of memory
(I use 2732A's), and I *think* the top down orientation is:

   Vectors
   OS9p1
   Boot

I'd have to check to be sure.

Are you building this system on a plain 6809, or on a coco platform?
That info would help..

Pete

--
Pete Lyall (OS9 Users Group VP)|  DELPHI: OS9UGVP  |  Eaton Corp.(818)-706-5693
Compuserve: 76703,4230 (OS9 Sysop) OS9 (home): (805)-985-0632 (24hr./1200 baud)