[net.works] Msg of Wednesday, 27 April 1983 00:34 EDT

COMSAT@MIT-MC (04/27/83)

From:  Communications Satellite <COMSAT @ MIT-MC>

============ A copy of your message is being returned, because: ============
"CARL-DIGEST" at MIT-MC is an unknown recipient.
"WORKS-ARCHIVES" at MIT-MC is an unknown recipient.
============ Failed message follows: ============
Date: 27 Apr 1983 0004-EDT
From: Mel Pleasant <WORKS@RUTGERS>
Subject: WORKS Digest V3 #11
Sender: PLEASANT@RUTGERS
To: WorkS: ;

Works Digest           Wednesday, 27 April 1983    Volume 3 : Issue 11

Today's Topics:
              Response to Queries - Perq/Vax Floppies,
                      Hardware - Lisa (4 msgs)

Date: Thursday, 21 April 1983 11:11:21 EST
From: Joseph.Ginder@CMU-CS-SPICE
To: Spaf.GaTech@UDel-Relay
Subject: Perq RT-11 floppy question

>From -- John Strait of 3RCC through jrg@cmu-cs-spice

--start forwarded message--
Re: PERQ RT-11 floppies  ala  Gene Spafford
From: J Strait at 3RCC

Gene described a problem using the PERQ Floppy utility and the
4.lbsd Unix program arff.  As I understand it, he could create
floppies with arff and read them with Floppy but not the other way
around.  Even worse, once he used arff to write a floppy created on
a PERQ, the floppy got messed up so badly that he could not read it
on a PERQ.

I know of two things that might be responsible for this problem.

1.  The RT-11 directory format allows one to switch select
    larger than standard directory entries when creating a
    directory.  The extra words in the directory entry are
    ignored by RT-11.  The PERQ floppy utility creates such
    directories and uses the extra space to store "bits in last
    block" in order to keep track of file lengths which are not
    block multiples.

    We know from experience that standard versions of RT-11,
    RSX-11M, and VMS have no problem with floppies that have
    extra word in the directory entries.  It is possible that
    arff, not being a standard DEC program, cannot deal with
    directory entries that have extra words.  On the other hand,
    arff may actually want directory entries that are larger
    than standard, but uses the extra words for something
    different.

2.  RT-11 floppies store files contiguously starting immediately
    after the directory.  In order to cope with floppies which
    have more files than fit in the limited directory space, the
    format allows new directory sections to be added in the
    middle of the floppy (in a previously empty section) and
    linked into the existing directory structure.  Thus, unlike
    data files, the directory need not be contiguous.

    As near as I can tell, the PERQ floppy utility can read such
    non- contiguous directories but cannot write them.  It is
    possible that arff treats this differently than the PERQ.

    The PERQ initializes RT-11 floppies to have 4 "segments"
    with 1 extra 16-bit word per entry.  This leaves room for 63
    entries per segment or a total of 252 files.

My best suggestion is that Gene try using arff to create the initial
directory making sure that it has enough room for the files.  If
this fails to clear up the problem, it is likely that arff and
Floppy are non-standard in mutually exclusive ways.  Good luck.

--end message--

P.S. Reply to jrg@cmu-cs-spice, I'll forward messages to John.

------------------------------

Date: 20 Apr 1983  4:31:12 EST (Wednesday)
From: Larry Byard (WSE-EUR) <byard at dca-ems>
Subject: Lisa in the Sky with Diamond

That's the title of a new "song" I'll be "singing."  Did you read
it carefully?  The first stanza plays at HQ USEUCOM on 3 May.

Larry

P.S. For those who are bewildered... I've seen Lisa and I'm "in
love."  For the curious in Europe, Lisa will demonstrated at HQ
USEUCOM on 3 May, and then will be available (by appointment) in my
office for the following two days.  Details on the demo will be
forthcoming via formal message.  For those who buy high-tech stocks,
the $10K machine was selling at the rate of about 70 per day to
visitors at the Hannover Fair!  For those who own IBM stock, sell!
For those working on Diamond, there is no doubt in my mind which
work station you should port the software to, please.  The 12"
screen is adequate (at least for the military user--they had several
of them wired to larger monitors) and Lisa's footprint fits a "glass
slipper."  For those working in Telematics, there is an Ethernet
interface for Lisa.  And I saw Apple's laser printer.  It will be
introduced this year.

Lisa was by far the biggest attraction of the Hannover Fair.  The
exhibit, consisting of half a dozen machines and a large screen
display, was constantly packed with hundreds of people.

I observed Lisa for several hours, had a private, hands-on demo, and
I will have more hands-on experience over the weekend.  The machine
takes some time (as perceived, compared to other things it does) to
load the various applications from it's hard disc, but is lightning
fast once an applications program is loaded.  The various
applications, word processing, spread sheet modeling, project
scheduling (Dick, this includes automated pert charts-- very nice
with graphics), list management, business graphics, graphics editor,
and terminal emulator, are first rate, extremely(!) powerful, and
integrated into the best man/machine interface in existence.

------------------------------

Date: 20 Apr 1983  7:24:51 EST (Wednesday)
From: Larry Byard (WSE-EUR) <byard at dca-ems>
Subject: Lisa Specs

Display:
o 12 inch screen (measures diagonally).
o Full-screen bit-mapped display
  -364 lines by 720 dots.
  -up to 40 lines of 132 characters.
o 60 Hz refresh rate.
o Contrast level under software control.
o Contrast-enhancing screen.

Keyboard:
o Detached, standard typewriter-style.
o N-key rollover.
o Sculptured keytops
  -textured, nonslip, nonglare.
o Numeric keypad with raised dot on 5 key.
o Full ASCII character set, up to 77 keys.
o All keys programmable.
o Smart interface with control-oriented processor.

Mouse:
o Extremely fast, intuitive cursor positioning.
o Works well on any surface.
o Simple one-button design eliminates confusion and the need to
  learn commands.

Disk storage:
o 869K bytes (per drive) formatted storage.
o 1.4M bytes (per drive) unformatted capacity.
o 62.5 tracks/inch.
o 10,000 bits/inch.
o Automatic disk eject.
o Smart interface with 6504 processor.

Main processor:
o MC68000 32/16-bit CPU
  -32-bit internal architecture.
  -16-bit external data path.
  -Seven levels of interrupts.

Real-time clock:
o Software system on-off control.
o Interval and event timing.
o COPS processor, battery back-up.

Main memory:
o 16K bytes of boot ROM.
o Up to 1M bytes RAM.
o Parity error correction.

Memory management:
o Permits operating system to relocate segments in memory.
o Provides access controls for block memory.
o Segmentation into 128 variable-length blocks.

Communications interface:
o Two serial ports
  -SCC controller.
  -programmable.
  -full-function
o RS-232 with full-duplex channels.
o Full modem control and ring indicator on one channel.
o Baud rates software-programmable.
o One parallel port
  -8-bit bedirectional.
  -handshake control.

Audio output:
o Built-in speaker with software-controlled tone generator.

Expansion board slots:

o Three slots [I don't think you need more with what is already in
  the machine]
o Zero insertion-force connectors.
o Direct connection to system bus.
o DMA capability.
o Memory-mapped I/O.
o Vector interrupt capability.
o Direct connection of power supply:
  -digital ground.
  -+5V, -5V, +12V, -12V.
  -allows up to 10W total (maximum rating) for all three cards
   [hardware spec states that it's 15W, which is still somewhat low
   (for NMOS, bypolar)].  -+5V standby (at 50 mA) per board.

Weight and dimensions:
o Computer console:
  -Weight: 48 lb. (22kg).
  -Height: 13.8 in. (350 mm).
  -Width: 18.7 in. (475 mm).
  -Depth: 15.2 in. (388 mm) [16 in. (403mm) with keyboard under front].
  [AMH ROC max. footprint = 600 mm H x 500 mm W x 600 mm D]
o Keyboard
  -Weight: 4 lb. (1.8kg).
  -Height: 2.7 in. (68 mm).
  -Width: 18.7 in. (475 mm).
  -Depth: 6.5 in. (165 mm).

Power Requirements:
o 115 or 230 V.AC.
o 48 to 68 Hz.
o 270 W (maximum).

Environmental requirements:
o Ambient temparature: 40-108 deg. F (5-42 deg. C).
o Relative hunidity: 15-80%, noncondensing.

Applications:
o LisaCalc (spreadsheet modeling), LisaList (list management),
  LisaProject (project scheduling), LisaWrite (word processor),
  LisaGraph (business graphics, LisaDraw (graphics editor),
  LisaTerminal (terminal emulation).

Languages and development environment:
o BASIC, Pascal, COBOL, Lisa Editor, Assembler, Linker, Debugger,
  and a wide range of utilities.

Communications:
o 3270 BSC.

System expansion:

o Apple Dot Matrix Printer, Apple Daisy Wheel Printer, Apple ProFile
  (5MB hard disk storage device) [Can be placed on top of console.
  Also, I was told that they are planning to replace one of the floppy
  drives with a hard disc, probably 20MB], Modem, 2-port parallel
  card, and AppleNet Local Area Network (Ethernet connections
  available for Apple products).

Reference: Lisa brochure, 300M-1/83, Apple Computer, Inc. (quoted
except info in square brackets.  The square brackets following
console depth spec. are quoted.)

    Subjective, general (unofficial, surely) opinion (at this early
point)...

    Apple has done an excellent job of costs verse benefits
trade-off analysis in creating and marketing this product.  The
benefits are greatly enhanced by using recent, more powerful and
less costly technology, and by emphasizing software, which
inherently has a very big payoff for both the user and the
developer.  In short, the user (buyer) gets a hell'va lot for the
buck and Apple will make a very good profit.
    In my opinion, as far as the business sector is concerned, Apple
is going to "blow IBM, Tandy, and others out of the water" in
"small" computers for at least the next two or three years.
    The hardware is top quality and, with exception of TEMPEST
requirements, meets or exceeds most of the work station requirements
in the AMH ROC.
    I would say, other than low cost, the integrated software is
this machine's strongest point.  However, compared to just the
hardware costs of other products, which aren't that significant in
the overall scheme of things, the generous (an understatement)
amount of Lisa software is almost "free"!
    I wonder, hypothetically, of course, how many lines of "old,
tired" WWMCCS software could be replaced with Lisa plus Diamond??
>From my perspective, for the tools needed for average A/O functions,
less global data base management functions), my guess is: most of
it!  The work station hardware, desired man/machine interface, and
basic-generic user tools are certainly, for the most part, present.

Larry

P.S.  Sorry Cromemco, but things change quickly in the micro
world...  We'll probably still buy a System 2, but the executive
work stations hanging off from it/the LAN will more than likely be
Lisa's.

------------------------------

Date: 22 Apr 83 12:00:53-PST (Fri)
From: hplabs!hao!cires!nbires!kimbo @ Ucb-Vax
Subject: Lisa

have had hands on experience with this system.  I found the startup
time for the applications *very* distressing.  I did like the user
interface, although I felt that LisaWrite was often hard to use
because it could only use the mouse (you had to keep reaching off of
the keyboard).

Also, I found it interesting that after I used it for less than 10
min. I was able to crash it by opening the waste basket and trying
to get back the second object in it.  And if you thought Lisa was
slow in loading an application, you should see how long it takes to
reboot!

Needless to say, I am not completely unbiased: NBI does make word
processing equipment, after all.  But I certainly would recommend
that you try one out for a while to see how you like the delays.

                Kimbo B. Peebles-Mundy, NBI Inc.
                {allegra,ucbvax}!nbires!kimbo

------------------------------

Date: 22 Apr 83 13:08:52-PST (Fri)
From: harpo!utah-cs!lepreau @ Ucb-Vax
Subject: Re: Lisa Specs

I went to a Lisa sales demo the other day and my overriding
impression was that Lisa is a DOG!  Slow slow slow.  For example,
took over 35 seconds to switch to a memo editor/icon and read in its
file.

Unless the rep didn't know what he was doing, the software seems to
have some equally gaping holes.  You can't have two (or more)
windows up and "open" simultaneously!  Their visicalc clone can, but
that's built into it and not in the general display
manager/editor/whatever.  Apparently moving a chunk of text from one
file to another is a major project, as you first have to move it to
an intermediate "clipboard," close the first window, and get the
other.  Each step taking interminably long, of course.  They can't
even handle rectangular regions, i.e., couldn't move a column of
numbers around.  The graphics editor seems pretty nice, tho.  I'm
sure they can fix up the software with time, but they've got to do
some really major speedup too, presumably hardware.  I can't see the
oft-mentioned busy "executive" spending $10,000 just to WAIT for
this expensive toy.

-Jay Lepreau, lepreau@utah-cs, harpo!utah-cs!lepreau

------------------------------

End of WorkS Digest
*******************
-------

COMSAT@MIT-MC (04/27/83)

From:  Communications Satellite <COMSAT @ MIT-MC>

FAILED: CHRISM at MIT-AI; Host appears to be permanently down or not accepting mail.
FAILED: CROM at MIT-AI; Host appears to be permanently down or not accepting mail.
FAILED: GENTRY at MIT-AI; Host appears to be permanently down or not accepting mail.
FAILED: JERRYB at MIT-AI; Host appears to be permanently down or not accepting mail.
FAILED: MIYATA at MIT-AI; Host appears to be permanently down or not accepting mail.
FAILED: SPAM at MIT-AI; Host appears to be permanently down or not accepting mail.
 Failed message follows:
-------

Date: Thursday, 21 April 1983 11:11:21 EST
From: Joseph.Ginder@CMU-CS-SPICE