[comp.os.os9] os9 and Unix

dnelson@umbio.MIAMI.EDU (Dru Nelson) (10/05/88)

I have noticed that very few people look at os9 as much as they
should.  Why isn't it that more companies and computer manufacturers
use os9?  The Atari ST runs os9 well (from what I here) and the only
place I here about the ST and os9 are from the germans who post.

Is there some major deficiency in this operating system that is
present that causes more people to choose unix?? (other than the
modules and incompatible os calls shouldn't make one difference
when your compiling C !?)

?

--
Dru Nelson                    UUCP: ....!uunet!gould!umbio!dnelson
Miami, Florida                 MCI: dnelson

piner@pur-phy (Richard Piner) (10/05/88)

In article <709@umbio.MIAMI.EDU> dnelson@umbio.MIAMI.EDU (Dru Nelson) writes:
>I have noticed that very few people look at os9 as much as they
>should.  Why isn't it that more companies and computer manufacturers
>use os9?  The Atari ST runs os9 well (from what I here) and the only
>place I here about the ST and os9 are from the germans who post.

>Is there some major deficiency in this operating system that is
>present that causes more people to choose unix?? (other than the
>modules and incompatible os calls shouldn't make one difference
>when your compiling C !?)

OS9/68K is smaller, faster, and cheaper than UNIX. Why would anyone
want to sell that? Actually, OS9 is not common because ignorance is.
All we can do is keep telling people to check out OS9 before they
buy. If they want a user system, UNIX comes with more tools. If
they want a programmer's system OS9 comes with better tools, e.g.
very good compilers.
BTW, a company in Wisconsin, Heurikon, sells systems that run
OS9 or VRTX or VRTX32 (not on the same machine of course). I just
got their latest catalog, and boy, they sell neat stuff. And yes, I
do have one of their systems and it has been rock solid.

				Richard Piner

knudsen@ihlpl.ATT.COM (Knudsen) (10/06/88)

Your question could be answered separately for two groups:
those making computer systems (like the ST) where the user works directly
with the chosen OS, and embedded control processors for industry
and gadgets where the end user never sees the OS at all.
The latter has long been OS9's main bailiwick, both for 6809 and
68K.  For every Coco or SS-50 (Gimix, Hleix, SSB) system, there
are probably a dozen boards buried in a factory floor somewhere.
The CD-ROM systems, should they ever appear, are another example.

A friend here needed an embedded OS for a 68000-based controller
board.  No disks, just ROMs.  Real time.  So he didn't
even consider U**X.  I convinced him to look into OS9, and he
agreed it was perfect for the job.  Until he looked at costs.

Now Microware wanted a royalty of $50 per board, which is not
unreasonable.  But they also wanted something like $6000 for the
software development system, plus more for a hardware setup
to run it on (unlike Coco or ST, his board couldn't possibly support
editing and compiling).  Since he wasn't planning a really big
production run of his board, the cost of all this development stuff
came to significantly more per board than the royalty.
So he ended up using XINU I think.

Maybe an ST setup[ could have been used, for under $2000 total,
tho OSK/ST wasn't too stable at that time.
But OSK seems to be economical only if you're either going
to make a lot of one system, or develop lots of different systems
with that expensive development system.

My feeling at the time was that Microware should lease the development
system cheap, or give it away at cost, to encourage more OS9 usage
and make their bread & butter on the royalties.
But then what do I know about aggressive marketing?

knudsen@ihlpl.ATT.COM (Knudsen) (10/07/88)

In article <1505@pur-phy>, piner@pur-phy (Richard Piner) writes:

> buy. If they want a user system, UNIX comes with more tools. If
> they want a programmer's system OS9 comes with better tools, e.g.
> very good compilers.

I wouldn't presume to judge whose compilers are better, but
one thing I know from experience:  My $100 RadShack C compiler for
OS9 Level 1 or 2 on the Cocos gives out much better error
diagnostics than the big mainframe U**X jobs ever did.
(Just try putting an extra right brace in the middle of your
source and see which one gives something more than "syntax error.".)

wortley@hwee.UUCP (Tim Wortley) (10/11/88)

In article <709@umbio.MIAMI.EDU> dnelson@umbio.MIAMI.EDU (Dru Nelson) writes:
>I have noticed that very few people look at os9 as much as they
>should.  Why isn't it that more companies and computer manufacturers use os9?
>Is there some major deficiency in this operating system that is
>present that causes more people to choose unix?? (other than the

I don't know wether you know of anyone within the "real-time" computing
industry, but I think you will find that at present OS9 is used mostly by
companies producing microprocessor controlled equipment, eg digital servo
motor control, to name one I am familiar with.
    The great benifits of OS9 in target systems ( eg single-PCB micro-computer
mounted along side high power servo drive amplifiers ) is that the system
does not need to be disc based, i.e. totally romable, in the microware jargon.
All application programs can be stored in rom, and actual ram required is a
minimum, you compared that to the simplest UN*X system.
I think it will just take time for this to spread to the home market.

ttfn Tim
Tim Wortley                   UUCP: <world>!uunet!mcvax!ukc!hwee!wortley
Elec Eng 4                    ARPA: wortley@ee.hw.ac.uk
Heriot-Watt University        JANET: wortley@uk.ac.hw.ee
Edinburgh, Scotland, UK

linimon@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Mark Linimon) (10/13/88)

In article <1505@pur-phy>, piner@pur-phy (Richard Piner) writes:
> BTW, a company in Wisconsin, Heurikon, sells systems that run
> OS9 or VRTX or VRTX32 (not on the same machine of course). I just
> got their latest catalog, and boy, they sell neat stuff. And yes, I
> do have one of their systems and it has been rock solid.

For those looking for hardware recommendations: at Buscon in New York last
week, Microware had copies of a book which I think was called the
"OS-9 Product Guide" or something similar (sorry, our booth
hasn't arrived back here yet, so I don't have the book in front of me).
This is a pretty complete list of suppliers supporting both the "home"
and "commercial" versions of OS-9.  I presume that Microware will mention the
existance, price, and availability of the book herein, but since it hadn't shown
up yet, I thought I would throw this in.

(Disclaimer: both Heurikon and Mizar are listed, of course, among others).

Mark Linimon
Mizar
uucp: {convex, killer, sun!texsun}!mizarvme!linimon

bdw@rwing.UUCP (Brian Wright) (10/15/88)

It's already happened.  The Tandy Color Computer line is the first and ONLY
micro to offer OS-9 at a low price.  There is plenty of software for the casual
user, and a international users group that is recognized by Microware.

I've used OS-9 Level 2 on a Tandy CoCo 3 for over a year, and I'm VERY impressed
with it's performance!

--
Brian Wright
UUCP: {backbones}!uw-beaver!tikal!toybox!rwing!bdw

ocker@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de (Wolfgang Ocker) (10/19/88)

In article <379@rwing.UUCP> bdw@rwing.UUCP (Brian Wright) writes:

>It's already happened.  The Tandy Color Computer line is the first and ONLY
>micro to offer OS-9 at a low price.
And the ST? OS-9/68000 for this machine isn't expensive, too!

/// Wolfgang Ocker
--
  |  Wolfgang Ocker          |  ocker@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de  |
  |  Lochhauserstr. 35a      |      pyramid!tmpmbx!recco!weo (home)      |

kirkenda@psu-cs.UUCP (Steve Kirkendall) (10/25/88)

In article <360@infovax.lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de> ocker@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de (Wolfgang Ocker) writes:
> In article <379@rwing.UUCP> bdw@rwing.UUCP (Brian Wright) writes:
> >
> >It's already happened.  The Tandy Color Computer line is the first and ONLY
> >micro to offer OS-9 at a low price.
>And the ST? OS-9/68000 for this machine isn't expensive, too!

Yes it is.  Sure, you can get a minimal system ("Personal OS9") for $150, but
if you want the C compiler you have to pay through the nose: $500 for just the
compiler, or $600 for the compiler and extra utilities such as `make`.

In the ST world, we're used to paying about $150 for a C compiler.  The switch
to OS9 is *painful*.

BTW, has anybody managed to port the GNU C compiler to OS9?  Or, failing that,
how about a TOS emulator so we can use the less expensive ST compilers?
             ["Short .sigs are best" -- Steve Kirkendall]

blarson@skat.usc.edu (Bob Larson) (10/26/88)

In article <1143@psu-cs.UUCP> kirkenda@psu-cs.UUCP (Steve Kirkendall) writes:
>BTW, has anybody managed to port the GNU C compiler to OS9?

I'm looking at it.  Non-trivial, Gcc isn't realy written in portable C
and some things needed or desirable for os9 arn't there yet.  It can
start as a cross-compiler or possibly a hacked preprocessor would be
enough for a first pass.  Getting the agument passing to match what
Microware C generates would be nice, but assebler stubs could be used
for the library interface.  The major thing after my quick look
through would be convincing gcc to generate memory references as
offsets of a6 rather than absolute.

The gcc compiler source is about 5 megabytes, not including needed
utilities like bison...

[Gcc is a free (but not public domain) optimising C compiler from
the Free Software Foundation, who put out GNU Emacs and are working
on the GNU operating system.]
Bob Larson	Arpa: Blarson@Ecla.Usc.Edu	blarson@skat.usc.edu
Uucp: {sdcrdcf,cit-vax}!oberon!skat!blarson
Prime mailing list:	info-prime-request%ais1@ecla.usc.edu
			oberon!ais1!info-prime-request