[net.works] Lisa Refresh Rate, Perceived Image, and Monitors

byard@dca-ems (04/29/83)

From:  Larry Byard (WSE-EUR) <byard at dca-ems>

Date: 29 Apr 1983 06:54 EDT
From: Robert Elton Maas <REM @ MIT-MC>
Subject: Lisa Specs
To: byard @ DCA-EMS

When you say 60 Hz refresh rate, is that for a full raster, or just
for half of an interleave? If you really mean 60 Hz full raster
refresh, it's twice as fast as a normal TV monitor, and thus can't be
fed into one to achieve duplicate displays for large meetings. If you
really mean 30 frames per second refresh achieved by 60 Hz
half-raster, you should say so in the specs.

RESPONSE...

Don't get mad at me, please.  Those are Apple's specs.  I don't
work for Apple.  I could ask them some questions if you would
like or you can call them yourself at 800-662-9238.  I believe
they are also reading the WorkS.  Maybe they will pick-up on this
and answer your questions.

All I can do is report what I saw.  The picture on Lisa looked
fine to me--nearly the same caliber as the Star--as far as I
could tell by looking at.  So I don't really care what the
refresh rate is, and the dots per inch or number of lines are;
that is insignificant to me; results are what count.  Also, I did
see Lisas piped to several monitors and a large screen display.
As I recall, the images on the monitors were as good as Lisa's.
In comparison, the quality of the large screen display was not
very good: the resolution was definitely lacking, but I could read
and see everything.

LCDR Larry Byard, USN