[comp.os.os9] Request for OS-9 Information and Tools

keith@bsovax.UUCP (Keith Dixon) (12/15/88)

As new, enthousiastic OS-9 users, we are in search of a few tools and
information.

In particular, we are on the lookout for
	1. Screen building tools, a la CURSES, with menu support etc.
	2. Source code control utilities, like SCCS or RCS.
	3. Any information available on building a file manager,
		besides that in the OS-9 standard documentation.

We have also heard rumours of a book to be published on OS-9. Any ideas ? In
general, this news group is quite quiet. Is the real discussion going
on somewhere else, or is everybody too busy working to post stuff ??

Looking forward to a flood of replies.

Keith Dixon.
BSO/Eindhoven BV.

grunwald@Katmandu.ira.uka.de (Grunwald Betr. Tichy) (12/19/88)

In article <293@bsovax.UUCP> keith@bsovax.UUCP (Keith Dixon) writes:
>As new, enthousiastic OS-9 users, we are in search of a few tools and
>information.
>
>In particular, we are on the lookout for
>	1. Screen building tools, a la CURSES, with menu support etc.
>	2. Source code control utilities, like SCCS or RCS.
>	3. Any information available on building a file manager,
>		besides that in the OS-9 standard documentation.
>
>We have also heard rumours of a book to be published on OS-9. Any ideas ? In
>general, this news group is quite quiet. Is the real discussion going
>on somewhere else, or is everybody too busy working to post stuff ??
>
>Looking forward to a flood of replies.
>
>Keith Dixon.
>BSO/Eindhoven BV.

I am running OS9 on an Atari ST and have lots of sources from the
unix-sources-archive on disk. This includes PCURSES (a Public-Domain-Version
of CURSES) and RCS.

I have written some code to write device-drivers in C, which is a great
help in the first phase of debugging and testing. The idea behind that is a
replacement of the cstart.r file and some special include files. Unfortunatly
the packet is not documented until now, but this will be done within a few
months.

Wolfgang Ocker from recoware is writing a pseudo-tty-driver, the basis for
windowmanagment. He also distributes a library of unix compatible functions.
There is no license fee on that library.

The Book was anounced in this newsgroup. Contact mircoware for further
information.

Other projects i am working at are:
X-Windows for the ST under OS9/68k
a better shell
xlisp (runs and works fine, but needs some refinement)
cpp   (to replace the cpp of microware, which has some problems.
       I have the sources of the DECUS-cpp and modified them for the microware
       C-Compiler. It managed to compile xlisp 2.0, but there is still work
       to do. (#asm doesn't work))

The problem is, i'm doing it all in my leisure time and this is not a lot.

To get some or all (~20MB) of the sources write to:
Knut G. Grunwald
Raiffeisenstr. 8
D-7551 Elchesheim - Illingen
or
send your request via email (only in the next months, because this is a
                            students number)

I'm just a student, so I cannot send much with News nor with email.
All copies will be on 3.5'' Disk all tracks DD, 18 Sectors per Track.
Please think of the following:
I'm just a student, not a software mailing firm, so if the request is to big
you may not get an answer from me. Please don't send money or disks, if you
cannot afford to lose them, just send me a letter or email and I try to answer.
If you speak german send the letter in german Language.

Looking forward to a managable flood of replies.

Knut Grunwald
Karlsruhe