[comp.os.os9] survey

klieb@tekigm2.MEN.TEK.COM (Kurt Liebezeit) (01/26/89)

I thought that it would be interesting to know more about the folks who read
and contribute to comp.os.os9. In recent weeks I've corresponded with a few
other folks on the net about OS-9, and I've invariably been impressed with
the diversity of what's being worked on. None of us appears to be inclined
to do a great deal of idle e-mail chatting, though, so we tend to look like
a scattered set of bushels with lights under them. In better times the user
group has been a means of communication, but right now the appearance of the
MOTD is sporadic at best.

What I would like to do is encourage the readers of comp.os.os9 to start an
(annual? occasional?) tradition of posting a summary of their interests,
accomplishments, and on-going projects. The MOTD had a similar survey a
year ago, but I never saw any results from it. I've listed some questions
that might be of interest to others; use this as a starting point, or make
up your own.

  Name, and path to your site.
  Type of system you run OS-9 on.
  What do you use OS-9 for? (Software development, word processing, etc.)
  Significant programs you've contributed to public or private domain.
  How others might obtain the fruit of your work.
  Current and future projects you're working on.
  What programs would you hope to find and/or buy in the near future?
  Other electronic forums you frequent (CIS, Delphi, etc.)

I think that the major benefit will be that we'll all learn what software is
available, and what is likely to appear in the near future. Even if you
aren't the sort of person who uses usenet a lot, I'd encourage you to make
this your posting for 1989. We OS-9'ers have to stick together, cause
we aren't served very well by the mass market media.

Kurt Liebezeit      klieb@tekigm2.TEK.COM      ...!tektronix!tekigm2!klieb

jonh@tekgen.BV.TEK.COM (Jon Howell) (01/26/89)

>  Name, and path to your site.
Jon Howell
...!tektronix!tekgen!jonh

>  Type of system you run OS-9 on.
CoCo III, 512K, 2 360K floppies, RGBA monitor, modem, printer...

>  What do you use OS-9 for? (Software development, word processing, etc.)
I do ALL of my printed stuff using uemacs/mroff as a team.  I like to play
with C, and some of my stuff occasionally even works.  Half of my keystrokes
or more are into a terminal program's window, doing THIS sort of thing, tho..
:-)

>  Significant programs you've contributed to public or private domain.
Significant, nay, but programs, yes.  :-)  "sa", a little one-liner (IE, one
COMMMAND line, many program lines. :-) that converts English commands to
CoCo screen controls ("sa color 3", "sa bold on").  I like to create fonts,
but my old font editor died, and I can't find a new one.
I did "dragonfont", which needs more work.

>  How others might obtain the fruit of your work.
Either email me, or order them from the COCO listserver.

>  Current and future projects you're working on.
ls, which is loaded with options.  Sorts yer directory, divides it into
directories and files, ignores (but prints on option) .files, and the output
cana be formatted however you like.  It will also be recursive to make auto-
matic directory trees from the same command.

>  What programs would you hope to find and/or buy in the near future?
A font editor (nudge nudge).  Another type of 'roff' someone mentioned.
And maybe a font editor that can do just plain clipboard (get/put) blox too.

>  Other electronic forums you frequent (CIS, Delphi, etc.)
The COCO subscription listserver.  If you're not on it now, get to it!  It's
a bit more active that this or .m6809, and talks a lot about os9 (albeit mainly
the CoCo's version of Level II).

I know, my stuff pales in comparison to usenet links and other great stuff.
But at least I'm trying! :-)  And whoever's working on the uucp mail link,
GET IT DONE! I WANT IT! :-}

		--Jon
--
...!tektronix!tekgen!jonh  (503) MAK-SEMA  Jon Howell | Q: How come they never
  //  //  //  _  __    _   .  .   . .    ___   .  _   | play that on the radio?

klieb@tekigm2.MEN.TEK.COM (Kurt Liebezeit) (01/26/89)

In an earlier posting I put forth a call for comp.os.os9 readers to post
some information about their interests. Here is my own entry for the survey:

Name, and path to your site.
  Kurt Liebezeit      klieb@tekigm2.TEK.COM      ...!tektronix!tekigm2!klieb

Type of system you run OS-9 on.
  Uniquad 2 (QT-plus) w/ OSK 2.1 & c68 2.1, 40 track DSDD & 10MB HD, QVT-101,
  OKI ML92, C. Itoh F-10

What do you use OS-9 for? (Software development, word processing, etc.)
  My interests are primarily in creating software in C and 68k assembly.
  I do this as a form of self-education. I also use Stylograph and Dynacalc
  for correspondence and personal financial analysis.

Significant programs you've contributed to public or private domain.
  YASE, a Wordst*r-like screen editor with multiple windows written in 68k
  assembly (public domain).
  TESTHD, a program to test and exercise a hard disk under a Uniquad/QT type
  of system (public domain).
  DES, a 68k assembly language implementation of the Data Encryption Standard
  (public domain).
  I did some minor hacking to get XLISP working under OSK (later version than
  what the UG had at the time).
  XMODEM, my own version, 'cause it was the easiest way to get files off CP/M.

How others might obtain the fruit of your work.
  YASE and XLISP were submitted to the OS-9 UG in May 87; neither has appeared
  on any listings of UG holdings.
  TESTHD and DES will be submitted to the UG in the very near future; I'm
  waiting for an operating system upgrade before I recompile for the last time.
  I did some minor hacking to get XLISP working OSK (later version than what
  the UG had at the time).
  Haven't done a thing with XMODEM on the assumption that no one would be
  interested.

Current and future projects you're working on.
  KDUMP, a hard disk backup program. It will probably be slower than either
  fsave or fbu because it saves files as separate files rather than treating
  the disk as a tape, but it will be friendlier in operation (allows on the
  fly formatting, for instance) and the data files may be inspected without
  special tools. (80% complete)
  TISON, a program for digital hardware design engineers. TISON finds minimal
  implementations of switching functions; it replaces the Karnaugh map
  minimization procedure. (40% complete)
  I wrote a program for CP/M called HPLOT that emulated an HPGL plotter on a
  dot matrix printer. Someday I plan to redo it for OS-9 as a filter.
  DDOC, a program to view and edit raw disk sectors. (98% complete)
  I wouldn't object to taking on some medium-size porting projects if I was
  sure that folks saw a need for the programs.

What programs would you hope to find and/or buy in the near future?
  What I'd like most would be a good implementation of a communications
  program. I'm planning to look into C-Kermit, but am unsure of how to get
  the latest version on a disk (you can't get something over a modem until
  you have a communication program!).
  I'd also like to get some Un*x-like utilities (preferably in source): csh,
  awk, lex, and yacc.

Other electronic forums you frequent (CIS, Delphi, etc.)
  None now. Perhaps CIS after I get a communications program.

Kurt Liebezeit      klieb@tekigm2.TEK.COM      ...!tektronix!tekigm2!klieb

ww0n+@andrew.cmu.edu (Walter Lloyd Wimer III) (01/27/89)

Here's my two cents worth for the survey:

*  Name, and path to your site.
Walt Wimer <ww0n@andrew.cmu.edu>

*  Occupation.
Systems programmer for Network Development, Carnegie Mellon University.  I do
TCP/IP software development and maintanence for CMU's local area networks.  I'm
also a senior (part-time) working on my B.S. in Electrical and Computer
Engineering.

*  Type of system you run OS-9 on.
OS-9 Level II on a 512K Coco III (and hopefully FHL 40Meg hard drive sometime
soon).

*  What do you use OS-9 for? (Software development, word processing, etc.)
I'm a system software guy.  I run OS-9 just because it's neat. . . .  :-)

*  Significant programs you've contributed to public or private domain.
No OS-9 stuff yet.  I authored significant parts of CMU's IP BOOTP server for
BSD Unix(tm).

*  How others might obtain the fruit of your work.
BOOTP is available via anonymous FTP.  Send me email for more info.

*  Current and future projects you're working on.
I'd love to implement the entire TCP/IP protocol suite for OS-9/6809.  This is
probably an incredible pipedream though. . . .  I started work on an OS-9
disassembler and haven't finished it yet, but it's a much more realistic project.

*  What programs would you hope to find and/or buy in the near future?
I'd like a "virtual memory" version of Emacs which could edit files larger than
available buffer space.

*  Other electronic forums you frequent (CIS, Delphi, etc.)
I subscribe to Eric Tilenius' COCO Listserv mailing list at Princeton and the
comp.sys.m6809 netnews list.

Walt Wimer
Carnegie Mellon University

Internet:  ww0n@andrew.cmu.edu
Bitnet:    ww0n%andrew.cmu.edu@cmccvb
UUCP:      ...!psuvax1!andrew.cmu.edu!ww0n
Phone:     office: (412) 268-6252
           home:   (412) 621-0677

blarson@skat.usc.edu (Bob Larson) (01/27/89)

In article <4098@tekigm2.MEN.TEK.COM> klieb@tekigm2.MEN.TEK.COM (Kurt Liebezeit) writes:
>  Name, and path to your site.

Bob Larson   see .signature below

>  Type of system you run OS-9 on.

FHL Qt20x
68020, 2.5 Mbyte

>  What do you use OS-9 for? (Software development, word processing, etc.)

Programming for fun

>  Significant programs you've contributed to public or private domain.
	Mg
	ln, mv
	tabs
	varargs.h
	unshar
Ported:
	Patch
	C-kermit
	pd diff
	nethack
>  How others might obtain the fruit of your work.

Compuserve:
	mg
	ln, mv
	c-kermit
comp.sources.misc archives:
	mg
	pd diff
comp.sources.unix archives:
	tabs
	mg (old version)
os9 users group:
	I don't remember what I've submitted.  Things they have
	are likely to be out of date.
comp.os.os9:
	misc.

>  Current and future projects you're working on.

C-News, Rn, Smail
Gcc (maybe)
Perl

>  What programs would you hope to find and/or buy in the near future?
>  Other electronic forums you frequent (CIS, Delphi, etc.)

Compuserve (mostly read only)

--
Bob Larson	Arpa: Blarson@Ecla.Usc.Edu	blarson@skat.usc.edu
Uucp: {sdcrdcf,cit-vax}!oberon!skat!blarson

mdg@macs.UUCP (Mark Griffith) (01/27/89)

In article <4098@tekigm2.MEN.TEK.COM>, klieb@tekigm2.MEN.TEK.COM (Kurt Liebezeit) writes:
> I thought that it would be interesting to know more about the folks who read
> and contribute to comp.os.os9.
>
>   Name, and path to your site.
Mark Griffith, .....!uflorida!ki4pv!macs!mdg

>   Type of system you run OS-9 on.
CoCo3, 512K, 1 360k and 2 720k drives, 20Meg hard disk, 3 serial ports,
1 parallel port, external terminal, printer, modem....etc.

>   What do you use OS-9 for? (Software development, word processing, etc.)
Software development (mostly)

>   Significant programs you've contributed to public or private domain.
SLED Ver. 2.x screen editor, STERM Simple terminal program, various
other utilities and text files....

>   How others might obtain the fruit of your work.
All available from CIS OS9 Forum

>   Current and future projects you're working on.
Two more terminal programs, one for the Multi-Vue environment, started
work on a statistics package.

>   What programs would you hope to find and/or buy in the near future?
Just about anything that is worthwhile #8^).

>   Other electronic forums you frequent (CIS, Delphi, etc.)
CIS almost exclusively, sometimes on Delphi.

I hope others will also respond to this.  The MOTD survey results will
be posted in an upcoming issue, but a survey of the USENET members would
also be handy.

/\/\ark

koonce@brahms.berkeley.edu (tim koonce) (01/28/89)

*  Name, and path to your site.
Tim Koonce  ( Koonce@Math.Berkeley.EDU ,  ...!ucbvax!math!koonce)

*  Occupation.
Graduate Student in Mathematics at UC Berkeley

*  Type of system you run OS-9 on.
CoCo3 (512k, hard drive, etc.)

*  What do you use OS-9 for? (Software development, word processing, etc.)
Programming, miscellaneous writing, communications

*  Significant programs you've contributed to public or private domain.
I'm really only getting started since I got my hard disk up a few months
ago.  Lots of ideas, though.

*  How others might obtain the fruit of your work.
Stuff I write will be either on the OS9 Listserv (Listserv@PUCC), and/or on the
OS9 SIG on Delphi.

*  Current and future projects you're working on.
I've got lots of ideas and plans for editor, vt100 emulator, miscellaneous
utilities for Level 2.

*  What programs would you hope to find and/or buy in the near future?
A good programming editor (which could also be used for WP, since I already
have a fairly nice text formatter, mroff).  A good, solid terminal program.

*  Other electronic forums you frequent (CIS, Delphi, etc.)
-- Delphi:  Username:  TIMKOONCE

					- Tim Koonce

dnelson@umbio.MIAMI.EDU (Dru Nelson) (01/29/89)

*  Name, and path to your site.
Dru Nelson, dnelson%umbio@umigw.miami.edu    The mail gets in but it's
hard for me to mail it out.

*  Occupation.
Clerk

*  Type of system you run OS-9 on.
Coco III, 40 trak and 80 trak, Level II

*  What do you use OS-9 for? (Software development, word processing, etc.)
Learning, writing software.  I like the operating system a lot and I am
mostly learning about systems programming and operating systems.  I do
software development on it also.

*  Significant programs you've contributed to public or private domain.
None, they are too basic and to personally designed.  I haven't really
had the time to really work on it.

*  How others might obtain the fruit of your work.
Meet me in person.

*  Current and future projects you're working on.
Just a little database program.

*  What programs would you hope to find and/or buy in the near future?
CAD, uucp and usenet support.

*  Other electronic forums you frequent (CIS, Delphi, etc.)
Just the usenet.  I haven't been able to reach the listserv; for a
while I thought they were the same thing.  I watch comp.os.os9 and
comp.sys.m6809.

--
Dru Nelson                    UUCP: ....!uunet!gould!umbio!dnelson
Miami, Florida                 MCI: dnelson

riddle@umbc3.UMBC.EDU (Mr. Paul Riddle) (01/29/89)

>  Name, and path to your site.

Paul Riddle; ...!uunet!umbc3!riddle

>  Type of system you run OS-9 on.

CoCo 3 512K; B&B Hard Drive Interface.

>  What do you use OS-9 for? (Software development, word processing, etc.)

I do a little bit of programming in C and 6809 assembly when I have
the time; Other than that I use uemacs/mroff for word processing.
OS-9 was a learning experience for me; It taught me what a "real"
operating system is, and prepared me for UNIX which I use on a day
to day basis now.

>  Significant programs you've contributed to public or private domain.

I've got some interesting stuff sitting around which I have passed
around locally.  Once I get around to it I'll see about posting it to
the net.

>  How others might obtain the fruit of your work.

Most of the stuff I have written is sitting on local BBSs around here.
I doubt if it has propagated any further than that.

>  Current and future projects you're working on.

I have a nasty habit of leaving projects unfinished to move on to something
new.  I'm writing some UNIX-lookalike tools to replace some of the
less flexible OS-9 commands (for example, one "cat" utility takes the
place of both "build" and "list").  I'm also writing a recursive parser/
interpreter in C, just to see if it can be done.

>  What programs would you hope to find and/or buy in the near future?

GNU Emacs, TeX, LaTeX.  All much large for the CoCo, of course, but
one of these days I'm going to buy a 68K machine.
Also a reasonable VT-100 emulator.

>  Other electronic forums you frequent (CIS, Delphi, etc.)

CoCo List Server (Listserv@pucc.princeton.edu), as well as umpteen
other newsgroups I can never keep up with.

+-----------------------------------+-----------------------------------+
| Paul Riddle                       | Arpanet: riddle@algol.cs.umbc.edu |
| Univ. Of Md., Baltimore County    |          riddle@umbc3.umbc.edu    |
+-----------------------------------+ UUCP:    ...!uunet!umbc3!riddle   |
| "System shutting down at 1:00 for | Phone:   (301) 859-0606           |
|  disk crashing"                   |                                   |
+-----------------------------------+-----------------------------------+

pasche@ethz.UUCP (Stephan Paschedag) (01/30/89)

      Stephan Paschedag   pasche@ethz.UUCP or paschedag@strati.ethz.ch

>  Type of system you run OS-9 on.
      GMX Micro-20/881, 60MBytes HD/RLL, 2 3.5" FDs running OS-9/68020 V2.0
      ZEP-09, homebrew 6809 system running OS-9/6809 Level I V1.2

>  What do you use OS-9 for? (Software development, word processing, etc.)
      I'm doing software development in assembler, C and Omegasoft Pascal
      sometimes i'm writing device drivers for some companies.

>  Significant programs you've contributed to public or private domain.
      TOP   : OS-9/68k system monitor (similar to unix's TOP utility, but
              more powerful)
      NET09 : OS-9/68k's OS9-NET compatible networking package for OS-9/6809
              Level I V1.2

>  Current and future projects you're working on.
      as soon as I have time i want to write a FAST r68 compatible assembler
      another project is a textprocessing system for OS-9/68k

>  What programs would you hope to find and/or buy in the near future?
      Microware's InVision

OS/2 & PS/2 : half an operating system for half a computer

Stephan Paschedag           pachedag@strati.ethz.ch  or  pasche@ethz.UUCP
Swiss Federal Institute Of Technology Zurich

3017_411@uwovax.uwo.ca (Karl-Michael Schindler) (01/31/89)

In article <4098@tekigm2.MEN.TEK.COM>, klieb@tekigm2.MEN.TEK.COM (Kurt
Liebezeit) writes: .......

Karl-Michael Schindler <3017_411@uwovax.uwo.ca>

OS-9 Professional, 68020, 4Mbyte, harddisk, part of a ESR-spectrometer

Control of instruments (IEC-Bus), data acquisition and display

>   Significant programs you've contributed to public or private domain.
>   How others might obtain the fruit of your work.

Nothing

>   Current and future projects you're working on.

IEC-Bus, unfortunately Fortran

>   What programs would you hope to find and/or buy in the near future?

better Editor (have only scred)

>   Other electronic forums you frequent (CIS, Delphi, etc.)

No

Karl - Michael Schindler       			3017_411@uwovax.uwo.ca
University of Western Ontario			Mi.Schi@uwovax.uwo.ca
Chemistry Department				Tel.: (519) 679 2111 Ext. 6311

zeller@ethz.UUCP (Lukas Zeller) (02/01/89)

     Lukas Zeller    zeller@ethz.UUCP  or zeller@strati.ethz.ch

>  Type of system you run OS-9 on.
     I started with a homebrew 6809 (OS9/6809 LI) system. Today, I use
     a Gimix-Micro-020 with 2 3.5" and 1 5.25" FDD, 60Meg HD and a homebrew
     G96 bus adaptor.

>  What do you use OS-9 for? (Software development, word processing, etc.)
     I use OS9 for software development. Most of my programs I've done in
     68k assembler, today, I tend to do more things in C (or C++ as soon as
     a compiler is available).

>  Significant programs you've contributed to public or private domain.
     ZE a full screen editor (68k and 6809)
     ZSH, an advanced shell (68k)
     ZDA, a symbolic disassembler (68k).

>  Current and future projects you're working on.
     I plan to do a hierarchical HELP utility for OS9. Another idea
     (it's nothing more than just an idea at the moment !) is to implement
     OS9 on the apple MacIntosh II.

>  What programs would you hope to find and/or buy in the near future?
     Microware's InVision, uw (Unix Windows) for OS9.

+  Lukas Zeller       zeller@ethz.UUCP or zeller@strati.ethz.ch   +

adp@moscom.UUCP (Alan Percy) (02/01/89)

In article <4098@tekigm2.MEN.TEK.COM> klieb@tekigm2.MEN.TEK.COM (Kurt Liebezeit) writes:
>I thought that it would be interesting to know more about the folks who read
>and contribute to comp.os.os9...
>
>  Name, and path to your site.
	Alan Percy, see signature for path

>  Type of system you run OS-9 on.
	We run various ROM based OS9 systems on a 68008 system
	developed here at MOSCOM.

>  What do you use OS-9 for? (Software development, word processing, etc.)
	Our "pollable" telephone call collection systems.
	We ported OS9 and develop the application software on
	our SUN 3.

>  Significant programs you've contributed to public or private domain.
	Most of my work has been proprietary to MOSCOM.

>  How others might obtain the fruit of your work.
	Buy a distributed Call Accounting System from MOSCOM or
	any number of "major telecommunications firms".

>  Current and future projects you're working on.
	We are currently developing new communications software
	for these products.

>  What programs would you hope to find and/or buy in the near future?
	If someone had a good Word processing/database/spread sheet
	combination, I might buy OS9 for my Atari ST at home.

>  Other electronic forums you frequent (CIS, Delphi, etc.)
	CI$

--
Alan Percy..........................{rutgers,ames,cmcl2}!rochester!moscom!adp

archambe@sombre.iro.umontreal.ca (Benoit Archambault) (02/06/89)

Benoit Archambault	archambe@iro.umontreal.ca

>  Type of system you run OS-9 on.
CoCo 3 128K, 2 360K Floppy, 20 Meg Hard drive, modem

>  What do you use OS-9 for? (Software development, word processing, etc.)
I write 6809 and 68000 assembly language programs for small boards
that use these CPUs (Hardware projects).

>  Significant programs you've contributed to public or private domain.
I wrote a debuger (SIMON) about a year ago (posted). I also wrote several
UNIX-like commands for my personnal use.

>  How others might obtain the fruit of your work.
Mostly on cmp.os.os9 but I've done that once up to now.

>  Current and future projects you're working on.
I plan to release a CoCo3 version of SIMON this spring. This time the
program will be entirely written in C. I'm also working on a multiplexer
project which is almost completed by now.

>  What programs would you hope to find and/or buy in the near future?
A good full-screen editor, telcom. programs, word-processor programs etc...

>  Other electronic forums you frequent (CIS, Delphi, etc.)
CIS and comp.os.os9

--

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+ Benoit Archambault                                                         +

rusty@cadnetix.COM (Rusty) (02/07/89)

In article <4098@tekigm2.MEN.TEK.COM> klieb@tekigm2.MEN.TEK.COM (Kurt Liebezeit) writes:
>>I thought that it would be interesting to know more about the folks who read
>>and contribute to comp.os.os9...
>>
>>  Name, and path to your site.
	Rusty Carruth, see .sig for path

>>  Type of system you run OS-9 on.
	SAT-96.  Designed by the guys at Motorola

>>  What do you use OS-9 for? (Software development, word processing, etc.)
	Playing around

>>  Significant programs you've contributed to public or private domain.
	None other than some junk for Lincoln Laser Company (in Phoenix)
	where we (back when I worked for them) used an exorbus system
	to control a laser-based optical pc-board inspection system.
	(the exorbus system was a 6809, running os9, and was a real dog)

>>  How others might obtain the fruit of your work.
	Buy an old Lincoln Laser 'Inspector' or 'Verifier' :-)

>>  Current and future projects you're working on.
	Considering porting gcc and g++ to os9.

>>  What programs would you hope to find and/or buy in the near future?
	something for my ham shack, where I plan to use the SAT

>>  Other electronic forums you frequent (CIS, Delphi, etc.)
	CI$, once in a very blue moon. (once a year? maybe)
-----
Rusty Carruth  UUCP:{uunet,boulder}!cadnetix!rusty  DOMAIN: rusty@cadnetix.com
Cadnetix Corp. (303) 444-8075x681 \  5775 Flatiron Pkwy. \ Boulder, Co 80301
Radio: N7IKQ    'home': P.O.B. 461 \  Lafayette, CO 80026

archambe@ouareau.iro.umontreal.ca (Benoit Archambault) (02/09/89)

I got undelivrable mail when posting my last reply to the survey.
Perhaps some of you already got it but anyway here it is for those
who didn't get my reply.

>  Name, and path to your site.
Benoit Archambault	archambe@iro.umontreal.ca

>  Type of system you run OS-9 on.
CoCo 3 128K, 2 360K Floppy drives, 20 Meg Hard drive, modem

rusty@cadnetix.COM (Rusty) (02/12/89)