[comp.os.os9] arguments to user-written shells

fozzard@tigger.colorado.edu (Richard Fozzard) (04/18/89)

We are new users of OS9 and have what seems a simple question
about shell utilities. How do you pass an argument to a shell
- something likeusing !$ in UNIX scripts?

	For example, if we want a general purpose utility to
edit, compile, and link a program XXX, we just want to type:

	doitall XXX

where XXX may be anything at different times.

Please email the answer unless you think this is useful to
others. It seems like we're just missing something simple.

thanks, rich

Richard Fozzard
University of Colorado				"Serendipity empowers"
fozzard@boulder.colorado.edu

mdg@macs.UUCP (Mark Griffith) (04/20/89)

In article <8190@boulder.Colorado.EDU>, fozzard@tigger.colorado.edu (Richard Fozzard) writes:
> We are new users of OS9 and have what seems a simple question
> about shell utilities. How do you pass an argument to a shell
> - something likeusing !$ in UNIX scripts?

The 'standard' shell distributed with OS9 doesn't support argument
variables or anything else for that matter (sigh).

However, there is a shell available on Compuserve's OS9 Forum that
supports just about everything you might need -- arguments, shell
variables, looping, conditional tests, etc, etc.  You'll need to get to
that forum and download the shell patch file, and also a utility called
IPATCH, which runs a comparision between the downloaded patch file, and
the standard shell and outputs a new binary with all the added features.
A neat way to get around copyrights (grin).

Also, there is another utility called "GO" that passes command line
arguements to the shell, also available from the OS9 Forum.

Sorry, I can't provide the library filenames for these utilities, but
all my documents are at home.  Ask on the forum and someone there will
provide the names for you in a couple hours.  Response time for messages
left is pretty quick there.

Mark

UUCP: mdg@macs
BITNET: GRIFFITH@STETSON
Compuserve: 76070,41
(OS9 Forum Assistant)

jgm@kokab.cc.deakin.OZ (John Moorfoot) (04/24/89)

In article <21187627@macs.UUCP> mdg@macs.UUCP (Mark Griffith) writes:
>However, there is a shell available on Compuserve's OS9 Forum that
>supports just about everything you might need .....

How do we poor bunnies from OZ get hold of all these goodies.
International phone charges are horrendous, so Compuserve is out
of the question. Is anything available on the net?

John Moorfoot 		ARPA:	jgm%charlie.oz.au@uunet.uu.net
			UUCP:	...!uunet!munnari!charlie.oz!jgm

mdg@macs.UUCP (Mark Griffith) (04/27/89)

In article <7499@charlie.OZ>, jgm@kokab.cc.deakin.OZ (John Moorfoot) writes:
> In article <21187627@macs.UUCP> mdg@macs.UUCP (Mark Griffith) writes:
> >However, there is a shell available on Compuserve's OS9 Forum that
> >supports just about everything you might need .....
>
> How do we poor bunnies from OZ get hold of all these goodies.
> International phone charges are horrendous, so Compuserve is out
> of the question. Is anything available on the net?

Well, the problem is the source code is not available since it is still
copyright by Tandy and Microware.  This shell can only be made using
a patch program that is also on CIS.

Since I am not a "power" USENET user, I lack the skills and knowledge to
post this shell here unless I can do it in BINHEX format.  However,
Pete Lyall, a frequent lurker about these parts, has the abilities I
lack and could do a uuencode or whatever is needed.

I'll check with the author of the patch and see if he would mind having
it posted here.  Another alternative would be the OS9 Users Group...
the shell is available through them.

Sorry I can't help more.

/\/\ark

USENET: mdg@macs