[comp.os.os9] os9 for the apple //

toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (05/10/89)

I got interested in os9 about a month ago but just recently someone told me
they'd heard of a version that ran on the apple //. I know there are 6809 and
68k versions, but has anyone else heard of a 6502 version for the apple?

any leads would be greatly appreciated.

toddpw @ caltech.bitnet
toddpw @ romeo.caltech.edu

jejones@mcrware.UUCP (James Jones) (05/15/89)

In article <10626@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu.UUCP
(Todd P. Whitesel) writes:
>I got interested in os9 about a month ago but just recently someone told me
>they'd heard of a version that ran on the apple //. I know there are 6809 and
>68k versions, but has anyone else heard of a 6502 version for the apple?

Chances are what the person was referring to was OS-9 running on a 6809
coprocessor board called The Mill, produced by a company called Stellation,
that plugs into the Apple ][.

	James Jones

matthew@sunpix.UUCP ( Sun Visualization Products) (05/15/89)

In article <10626@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu>, toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) writes:
| I got interested in os9 about a month ago but just recently someone told me
| they'd heard of a version that ran on the apple //. I know there are 6809 and
| 68k versions, but has anyone else heard of a 6502 version for the apple?
|
| any leads would be greatly appreciated.
|
| toddpw @ caltech.bitnet
| toddpw @ romeo.caltech.edu

I doubt that there is a 6502 version of OS9, but there was a 6809 co-processor
card made that could probably run OS9.  It treated the Apple ][ in much the
same fashion as the Z80 Softcard, running CP/M.

--
Matthew Lee Stier                         |
Sun Microsystems ---  RTP, NC  27709-3447 |        "Wisconsin   Escapee"

knudsen@ihlpl.ATT.COM (Knudsen) (05/17/89)

In article <10626@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu>, toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) writes:
> I got interested in os9 about a month ago but just recently someone told me
> they'd heard of a version that ran on the apple //. I know there are 6809 and
> 68k versions, but has anyone else heard of a 6502 version for the apple?

You can't run any real OS on the 6502 :-).
What you heard involves a plug-in 6809 board called "The Mill"
from a company whose name I forget (and who is probably history by
now anyway).  There was a good version of OS-9 Level 1 for the
card, and someone posted here a few years back about getting one
so he could run a good Pascal on his Apple.

Advertize around and maybe you can find a Mill card and software.
I doubt whether it supported any graphics routines; for those
you'll just have to walk to the local RadShack and get a modern
toy computer :-).

Note that folks used to plug Z80 cards into Apples to run CP/M
(gag -- choke -- but it was a step up from AppleDOS I guess).
	mike k
--
Mike Knudsen  Bell Labs(AT&T)   att!ihlpl!knudsen
Round and round the while() loop goes;

dnelson@umbio.MIAMI.EDU (Dru Nelson) (05/18/89)

in article <1172@mcrware.UUCP>, jejones@mcrware.UUCP (James Jones) says:

> Chances are what the person was referring to was OS-9 running on a 6809
> coprocessor board called The Mill, produced by a company called Stellation,
> that plugs into the Apple ][.
>
> 	James Jones

This company still exists.  They sell the Level I os9 system with a
card.  It is a good price.  I don't have the phone # but they are in
California (big help, huh).  I reviewed one for a bit and found out
how used to Level II you can get.

--
Dru Nelson                    UUCP: ....!uunet!gould!umbio!dnelson
Miami, Florida                 MCI: dnelson