[comp.os.os9] OS9 for 808x based machines

optadm7@watdcsu.waterloo.edu (J.Cassidy - Optometry) (07/24/89)

I have been aware that the OS9 operating system exists for
quite a while, but after reading an article on this OS I
am suddenly intriged by it.

My question is this, does a version(s) of OS9 exist for
808x or 80x86 based systems?  All information that I have
been able to find only mentions Motorola's silicon.
Please mention the name and address/phone# of the
company if you know it.

Any help on this subject would be appreciated!

PS. What is the definitive referrence on OS9?

davely@mcrware.UUCP (Dave Lyons) (07/25/89)

In article <6136@watdcsu.waterloo.edu> optadm7@watdcsu.waterloo.edu (J.Cassidy - Optometry) writes:
>I have been aware that the OS9 operating system exists for
>quite a while, but after reading an article on this OS I
>am suddenly intriged by it.
>
>My question is this, does a version(s) of OS9 exist for
>808x or 80x86 based systems?  All information that I have
>been able to find only mentions Motorola's silicon.
>Please mention the name and address/phone# of the
>company if you know it.

Right now, OS-9 only runs on 6809 and 680X0 processors.

>Any help on this subject would be appreciated!
>
>PS. What is the definitive referrence on OS9?

Microware sells a book called "OS-9 Insights" that goes into
detail about the 680X0 version of OS-9 and you can also buy
the OS-9 technical manual.  The technical manual gives you
all the system call details, etc. while "Insights" gives many
examples of how the system is used.  The prices are $40.00
for OS-9 Insights and $75.00 for the technical manual.  The
number here is (515) 224-1929 if you decide you want to order
either.  I hope this helps.

--
 Dave Lyons - reach him at ...!sun!mcrware!davely
 Ask not from whom the opinions come.  They come from me.

pete@wlbr.IMSD.CONTEL.COM (Pete Lyall) (07/27/89)

Re: OS9 on Intel (286/386) platforms....

Well.. that _was_ true. Keep your eyes open for press releases
regarding OS-9000. Should be in the next month or so. Please don't
mail me any questions, because I don't know a heck of a lot more about
it than this..

Pete

--
Pete Lyall                                           Contel Corp.(818) 706-5693
Compuserve: 76703,4230 (OS9 Sysop)  OS9_Net: (805)-985-0632 (24hr 300/1200/2400)