[comp.os.os9] Selecting windows in CoCo Level II

peterdur@microsoft.UUCP (Peter Durham) (09/12/89)

In article <1989Sep2.030454.10843@i-core.UUCP> joseph_cheek@i-core.UUCP (Joseph Cheek) writes:
>I have tried display 1b21 >/w# several times (both from the command line and
>the equivalent from high-level languages) to no avail.  It should bring what-
>ever window was selected to the current display window, but it does not work.
>Is there any way to do it?  Any help would be appreciated.

What usually causes this problem is the following situation...
Suppose you have a Shell running in /W1 and /W2.  You want to display /W2.
So, at the shell in /W1, you type "display 1b 21 >/w2".  But /W2 does not
come up.  This is because /W2 is "busy".  Why?  There's IO already happening
in /W2... the Shell is trying to read in a command line!  If you were to
switch over to /W2 and type something in, once the pending IO was finished,
the escape codes would be displayed.  Try this with, say, "echo foo" and
you'll see what I mean.  Note that if something is running that is not waiting
for input (say you do a "dir e x" with a big CMDS directory), then you should
be able to "display 1b 21 >/w2" and have it work, since the code sneaks in
between some of the writes.
Hope this helps!
- Peter