[comp.os.os9] OS-9 68k

rchampe@hubcap.clemson.edu (Richard Champeaux) (09/11/89)

Are there any non-tandy OS-9 people out there, or have they all been scared
off?

If there are, I have a few questions about the hardware requirements of
OS-9 68k.  My thesis involves building a 68020 based, single board computer
that will be used by a class here at Clemson University.  My advisor wants to
eventually port OS-9 68k to it; if I have time, I'll be the one doing the port.
We'll be getting some information from Microware (I think that's the name),
but in the mean time, I have a few questions.  Does OS-9 68k require an MMU?
What does it need in the way of timers and interrupts?  Are there any other
hardware dependencies that it has?

Thanks for any help.

Rich Champeaux  (rchampe@hubcap.clemson.edu)

jejones@mcrware.UUCP (James Jones) (09/11/89)

In article <6435@hubcap.clemson.edu> rchampe@hubcap.clemson.edu (Richard Champeaux) writes:
>Does OS-9 68k require an MMU?

No, it doesn't, though with one, one can enforce access restrictions,
of course.

>What does it need in the way of timers and interrupts?

If you want to do time-slicing, there should be a source of periodic
interrupts.

>Are there any other hardware dependencies that it has?

None I know of.

	James Jones

blarson@basil.usc.edu (bob larson) (09/13/89)

In article <6435@hubcap.clemson.edu> rchampe@hubcap.clemson.edu (Richard Champeaux) writes:
>Are there any non-tandy OS-9 people out there, or have they all been scared
>off?

Yes.

>Does OS-9 68k require an MMU?

no

>What does it need in the way of timers and interrupts?

A periodic interupt, 100 hz is good.

>  Are there any other hardware dependencies that it has?

Memory: at least 1/2 megabyte for a general purpose system single user
system.

Avoid perepherals that monopolize the cpu for long periods of time,
such as bit-banger serial.  Interupt driven i/o is recomended,
dma disk i/o is preferable.

dsdd 96tpi non-hidensity ("720 k") is most popular in 5" floppies, you
can read/write most other 5" formats.  You may also want to get at 3"
floppy drive for exchange with atari ST owners.  (I have both.)
Bob Larson	Arpa:	blarson@basil.usc.edu
Uucp: {uunet,cit-vax}!usc!basil!blarson
Prime mailing list:	info-prime-request%ais1@usc.edu
			usc!ais1!info-prime-request