[comp.os.os9] Unix-like Tools for OS-9/68K System

palumbo@cs.Buffalo.EDU (Paul Palumbo) (09/28/89)

I just recently purchased an OS-9/68030 system and am looking for
some good UNIX-like tools such as csh/tcsh, ls, cd, mv, vi, etc.  Does anybody
have any recommendations?

Also, what is a good source for Public Domain Software that can be accessed
over internet (using ftp or e-mail)?  I notice a recent posting for a mail
server for COCO OS-9 but is one available for 68K systems?

Paul Palumbo                    internet:palumbo@cs.buffalo.edu
Research Associate              bitnet:  palumbo@sunybcs.BITNET
226 Bell Hall                   csnet:   palumbo@buffalo.csnet
SUNY at Buffalo  CS Dept.
Buffalo, New York 14260
(716) 636-3407    uucp:   ..!{boulder,decvax,rutgers}!sunybcs!palumbo

wynkoop@esquire.UUCP (Brett Wynkoop) (09/30/89)

In article <11062@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> palumbo@cs.Buffalo.EDU (Paul Palumbo) writes:

>Also, what is a good source for Public Domain Software that can be accessed
>over internet (using ftp or e-mail)?  I notice a recent posting for a mail
>server for COCO OS-9 but is one available for 68K systems?
>
>Paul Palumbo                    internet:palumbo@cs.buffalo.edu

Greeting-
     If you have a C compiler most of the stuff for os9 should compile on
OSK.  Getting on the COCO mail server is therefore worth while.  I think
the biggest source for pd software would be compuserves os9 forum.  Log
onto CIS and type go os9.  I would also recomend joining the os9 users
group as there are many disks avaiable from the library.  I do not have the
address at work, but you can send mail to Kevin Darling to get the info his
address is

 76703.4227@compuserve.com

     Hope this helps.

-Brett

medge@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Michael Dovaston Edge) (10/06/89)

There is a user group in Germany that has been porting Unix utilities
onto OS-9.  Currently there is a version of csh, vi, micro-gnu-emacs,
notes, etc.  Some really nice stuff.  Microware will make you a copy
of the eight disk distribution set for ~ $100.  TOP's will do it for
free if you send them the formatted disks and return postage.  Contact
your service rep at Microware for details.

--medge

	"Imagine what it would be like if TV actually were good...
	 It would be the end of everything we know."

				--Marvin Minsky