[comp.os.os9] Archivers

storkus@arrakis.nevada.edu (Mike Storke N7MSD) (10/13/89)

  Speaking of ZIPpers and ARChivers, where can I get a GOOD set?  Like
PKARC and PKXARC on the IBM's (now their files are named ZIP files).  I've
used those programs (I used to maintain an IBM BBS for my school before
I left there) before, and I'd LOVE to get a hold of a good program that
can compress files as good as they could.  As I'm sure there's a few people
on the net who'd like a file compresser like that for the multitude of programs
they own (I have disks sticking out of my ears here!), please post to net, if
appropriate.  Oh, yes, please be sure it will run on LEVEL I OS-9 on a CoCo 2
(64K machine, version 02.00.00 OS-9 from update).  73's (best wishes) all,
Mike P. Storke, N7MSD @ University Nevada/Las Vegas-only a student, sorry :-)
Email: storkus@arrakis.nevada.edu  Packet: KF7TI @ LAS:K7WS-1 or ANGEL:K7WS-2
Snailmail: Box 462 Las Vegas, NV 89119  "I don't trust the D.O.E.-do YOU?"-ME!
Disclaimers??  You gotta be kidding, I claim everything I say!

koonce@brahms.berkeley.edu (tim koonce) (10/13/89)

Mike Storke (storkus@arrakis.nevada.edu)  writes:
>  Speaking of ZIPpers and ARChivers, where can I get a GOOD set?  Like

Well, SEA's ARC programs are huge, ungainly beasts, since they try to
support so many compression formats.  I doubt you will get a good ARC
or ZIP program on OS9/6809, certainly not on Level 1.  But I'm always
willing to be proved wrong... <grin>

However, you might want to look into the following:
  - ar    Carl Kreider's standard archiver for OS9.  Very reliable, and
          does reasonable compression.  Also, fairly quick.
  - pak   I don't recall the author.  Supports a variety of compression
          formats.  Good, although slower than ar, and it does tend to
          weird out when decoding files that have XModem garbage appended.
  - compress  This is a port of the standard PD Unix compression utility.
          Uses 12-bit LZW compression, and works very well.  Completely
          compatible with the Unix version (except for the 12 bit
          limitation), I often move compressed files from OS9 to/from Unix.
          Includes source.  (I beleive this is where SEA stole their
          LZW code from.)

All of these are available from Delphi, Compuserve, or the OS9 Listserv
on Bitnet.

>appropriate.  Oh, yes, please be sure it will run on LEVEL I OS-9 on a CoCo 2
>(64K machine, version 02.00.00 OS-9 from update).

ar and pak will certainly run under Level 1.  Compress might be a little
large, though.  It does run well under Level 2.  Never really checked it's
memory requirements.  Certainly worth trying.

					- Tim