[comp.os.os9] 6809??

sheppamj@image.soe.clarkson.edu (Matthew Sheppard) (11/29/89)

I just noticed this newsgroup and was wondering if anyone else in the
world was using os9 on a radio-shack color computer?  If so, what can
you do with it?  I find it too slow, two little memory, and the way data
is sent to the screen (it bneing 40 char wide) too tiersom.  But if
there are people using and some good public domain stuff I would be
interested in getting my system working again.  Anyone?
											-chew

dtroup@carroll1.UUCP (David C. Troup - Skunk Works : 2600hz) (11/30/89)

In article <1989Nov28.164530.10677@sun.soe.clarkson.edu> sheppamj@image.soe.clarkson.edu (Matthew Sheppard) writes:
>I just noticed this newsgroup and was wondering if anyone else in the
>world was using os9 on a radio-shack color computer?
	I bought one for OS9 and rumors of Multi-taksing and Multi-users.
	After getting one, (I paid $149 w/drive), I messed around with setting
	up some windows (7 of them) and checked the stat of the system. The
	system assigns PID's to the windows, since each of them is a shell (I
	think), so multi-user/tasking should be possible. Ive seen adds for
	Multi-user BBS's, but since I dont have a modem, or serial card for
	accessing our UNIX, I cant get any good stuff onto my COCO III.

>  But if
>there are people using and some good public domain stuff I would be
>interested in getting my system working again.  Anyone?

	The responces from the COCO community that I have gotten have been
	tremendous. Unfortunetly, I just got FTP access lately, and have lost
	touch with those people. There was also this guy who I was going to
	send some disks to to get some pub-domain stuff, but I lost that info
	in system crash. (If you know who you are, please send me Email
	again...thanks..)

	well, thats my 2 cents worth...

--
We got computers, we're tapping phone lines, I know that that ain't allowed_
    _______  _______________    |David C. Troup / Surf Rat_2600 hz__________

rh2y+@andrew.cmu.edu (Russell E. Hoffman, II) (11/30/89)

Well, I use the CoCo under OS9 when I'm at home. (I'm at college now, so
I use my os9/68000 system.) The coco is not as slow as it may seem...
I've benched the CoCo vs. some other IBM compatibles (Tandy 1000, IBM XT)
in Basic09 and the CoCo blew them away. The reason the CoCo is slower
than most OS9 systems is that the drivers are not all interrupt-driven.
The keyboard driver, for example, constantly polls the keyboard, eating loads
of CPU time.  The disk controller driver (CCDisk) also does not allow much
in the way of other process time allocation during reads and writes.
Finally, the serial port driver (RS232 or PRINTER) is not interrupt driven
as far as input from the external terminal is concerned, and, since the Coco
has no "real" serial port, the 6809 must emulate one in hardware, eating even
more cpu time if that port is used.
   Now comes the good news: most of these drivers, if not all, can be replaced
with better ones. Xrs232 is an interrupt-driven replacement for RS232. It comes
with the Xcom9 package (I think). ACIAPAK also is interrupt-driven, but it
requires you to own a radio shack rs-232 cartridge and a multi-pak intrface.
I have heard of a replacement for CCIO (the one that does the keyboard polling)
which is interrupt-driven, but I don't recall the name of it or where to get it.
The disk controller driver (CCDisk) can be replaced by several drivers. One is
FHL's Sdisk. This driver allows for double-sided drives and uses the
device parameters in the device descriptors rather than having them hard-
coded into the driver (which is what CCDisk does....) There is also NDisk,
which, as I recall, is either PD or it is in a magazine and you can type
in the source and assemble it yourself..
Interrupt-driven disk drivers come with some of the replacement controllers
(such as the Disto[?] No-Halt Controller).
Now, you ask, where does one get this stuff?

Frank Hogg Laboratories
The Regency Tower, Suite 215
770 James Street
Syracuse, NY 13203

D.P. Johnson
7655 S.W. Cedarcrest Street
Portland, OR 97223

Also, check out Radio Shack and Rainbow Magazine.

BTW, Frank Hogg sells a modules that enables you to run under Lv. I
and have up to 85x24 text screen that draws the chars on the graphics
screen. Its called HiRes, and comes with some other neet tools
(char. set editor, rsdos <--> os9 conversion, many char sets.) on the
O-Pak disk.

Hope that helps....
Russell E. Hoffman, II.
Carnegie Mellon University
rh2y+@andrew.cmu.edu

joseph_cheek@i-core.UUCP (Joseph Cheek) (12/12/89)

In article <1989Nov28.164530.10677@sun.soe.clarkson.edu>, sheppamj@image.soe.cla
rkson.edu (Matthew Sheppard) writes:

>I just noticed this newsgroup and was wondering if anyone else in the
>world was using os9 on a radio-shack color computer?  If so, what can
>you do with it?  I find it too slow, two little memory, and the way data
>is sent to the screen (it bneing 40 char wide) too tiersom.  But if
>there are people using and some good public domain stuff I would be
>interested in getting my system working again.  Anyone?
>                                                      -chew

Yes, I am!!  I don't find it that slow, 1 & 2 Meg of memoryy doesn't seem
like too little memory to me, and why don't you open an 80-column window?
Lots of people are using it and I find that the PD stuff is as really good!
(It's a lot cheaper, too! 8-) )
                                                      Joseph Cheek
                                          (joseph_cheek@i-core.UUCP)