[comp.os.os9] real time operating systems

kim@mcrware.UUCP (Kim Kempf) (12/15/89)

In article <1989Dec13.181226.22400@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> cocoiii@shumv1.uucp (John Vestal) writes:
>    I don't know if it is true "real time," but there is OS-9000 out for the
>680X0 and will run on 386's.  It is a "portable" version of OS-9, which what
>NASA uses for it's real time Shuttle Operations.  I think it is available
>from Microsoft.  Maybe someone else knows more about it.
      ^^^^^^^^^

Byte your keyboard!  OS-9000 and OS-9 are from Microware Systems Corporation
in Des Moines, Iowa.  Both operating systems are real-time, multi-user and
multi-tasking.  A full discussion of the capabilities and concepts of
these operating systems takes nearly a full volume to describe.  Fortunately,
such a thing exists!  Microware has a publication called "The OS-9 Catalog"
that is basically a technical guide to the OS-9 family products.  This
piece is a book of about 180 pages that is much less than a technical
manual but much more than product description sheets.  This catalog is not
a "product hype" piece.  No prices or ordering options confuse things, just
technical information detailed enough to allow evaluation of a product
without wading through sample user's guides or manuals.

Since OS-9000 has just been introduced, there is no "Catalog" yet, but that
should be ready about the first of the year.  Regarding the features of
OS-9000 itself, if there is sufficient interest, I can post a technical
highlight summary.

OS-9000/386 is running on the following pc/at machines:

	Gateway 2000 - 25Mhz/caching with ESDI HD controller
	AST/386 - 20mhz with MFM HD controller
	Compaq - all models from SX thru 25mhz/caching with ESDI HD controller
	Leading Edge - 20mhz with MFM HD controller

I suppose it would run on a normal IBM PC/AT 386, but who uses that these
days? :-)

These are examples of development and evaluation platforms.  OS-9000 is
a fully ROMable operating system that has no bus or system architecture
dependencies (other than target CPU type).  OS-9000 is quite suitable for
embedded ROM-based applications (especially intellegent products) since
the kernel and basic I/O easily fit in 128KB of ROM.

In addition to target-based (OS-9000/386) development, Microware offers
a number of cross development systems for OS-9000 such as UNIX workstations
(SUN, Apollo, NEC, Sony, HP) and VAX UNIX or VMS.

For more information (sales, configuration, low-level technical, OS-9 Catalog
or licensing) contact:

Microware Systems Corporation (515) 224-1929
or uunet!mcrware!mcrware

or email to me for technical questions.

--
----------------
Kim Kempf, Microware Systems Corporation	{sun,uunet}!mcrware!kim

wynkoop@esquire.UUCP (Brett Wynkoop) (12/16/89)

Please do post the info on OS9000.  I have called Microware several times
and have not gotten any info I did not already have from being a long time
OS9 user.

-Brett

uucp.................cmcl2!esquire!wynkoop
domain...............wynkoop@esquire.dpw.com
CI$..................72057,3720
Land Line............212-266-0741
Air Wave.............WA3YRE/2 (7.075 Mhz, 7.255 Mhz, 14.313 Mhz, 14.230 Mhz)