[comp.os.os9] OS9000/386

glenn@extro.ucc.su.oz.au (G Geers) (12/18/89)

Hi,
	How much does OS9000/386 cost ? Is it available in Australia ?
				Thanks in advance,
						Glenn

Glenn Geers
Dept Theoretical Physics
Uni of Sydney
Sydney 2006 Australia

glenn@extro.ucc.su.oz

djh9381@ultb.isc.rit.edu (D.J. Halko) (12/20/89)

Another question on OS9000

 Is OS9000 going to suffer the same fate as OS968K? (being too expensive to
 purchase as a runtime OS for a computer.) I would say the most influencial
 factor in purchasing an OS-9 based computer is cost for low end users. As a
 college student, I can't afford to shell out $500 for an OS, thus I am
 forced to be an active user of Level I and Level II 6809 based OS-9 (which
 can be dug up for the Tandy Color Computer 3 through Tandy.)

  With the availability of C Compilers for other computers and OS's (I can
  pick up Turbo Pascal for MS-Dos for $75 at local malls... MS-Dos comes
  free with most clones now a days, or is very reasonable. Lets say the
  total price tag is $200 for C and a Dos of choice (bad choice in my opinion.)
  Will there be an optional small version of the DOS available for lower
  end computer users? (something that won't cost $900 a copy - Not when you can
  get 386 based clones now for twice that cost.)

   David J. Halko

cocoiii@shumv1.uucp (John Vestal) (12/20/89)

     There is going to be a new computer coming out within six months at will
run OS9000 thaat is built in to ROM.  This computer will run 6809 OS-9 stuff,
as well as the OS9000 programs.  This computer will have a 68070 and a 6809.
You can add a 68030 as a coprocessor.  This could help you.  It should only
be in the $500-$600 range.
                         cocoiii (John Vestal)

*  cocoiii@shumv1.ncsu.edu                                                   *
*                          (John Vestal)                                     *

kim@mcrware.UUCP (Kim Kempf) (12/22/89)

In article <1989Dec20.130322.896@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> cocoiii@shumv1.ncsu.edu (John Vestal) writes:

>     There is going to be a new computer coming out within six months at will
>run OS9000 thaat is built in to ROM.  This computer will run 6809 OS-9 stuff,
>as well as the OS9000 programs.  This computer will have a 68070 and a 6809.
>You can add a 68030 as a coprocessor.  This could help you.  It should only
>be in the $500-$600 range.
>                         cocoiii (John Vestal)

This of course, should have been cross posted to talk.rumors...

--
----------------
Kim Kempf, Microware Systems Corporation	{sun,uunet}!mcrware!kim

jonh@pogo.WV.TEK.COM (Jon Howell) (12/22/89)

>>     There is going to be a new computer coming out within six months at will
>>run OS9000 thaat is built in to ROM.  This computer will run 6809 OS-9 stuff,
>>                         cocoiii (John Vestal)
>This of course, should have been cross posted to talk.rumors...
>Kim Kempf, Microware Systems Corporation	{sun,uunet}!mcrware!kim
Whoah!  Turn down the flame thrower, pal!  John was close.  The new computer
should run Os9 68K (not OS9000.  BTW, what do the extra zeros do for it?)
in addition to everything John mentioned.  (tho there is debate as to whether
it will have an on-board 6809 or just a simulator.  Tests are showing the
simulator might be too slow.)

Admittedly, the project is pretty speculative, but from reports that have
floated my way, there are enough people behind it who are willing to invest
that it has a good chance of coming through.

Kim, being a uW employee doesn't MAKE you an authority, much less give you
the right to shame people's postings.  Please research the subject a bit
more before you condemn others' postings as rumor.  Because uW isn't selling
it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.  I know uW doesn't support low-end users,
but are you going so far as trying to dismiss us?  A stain on the ol' image,
hmm?

Others:  sorry for the re-flame, but I felt John's message deserved no such
slamming.

	--Jon
--
Jon Howell  jonh@pogo.wv.tek.com  (503) MAK-SEMA      : SciFi, drugs, and
  _   _ _   _      ___  _    _ _ | "Ah, I see that    : reality are just escape

kim@mcrware.UUCP (Kim Kempf) (12/23/89)

In article <8308@pogo.WV.TEK.COM< jonh@pogo.WV.TEK.COM (Jon Howell) writes:
<<<     There is going to be a new computer coming out within six months at will
<<<run OS9000 thaat is built in to ROM.  This computer will run 6809 OS-9 stuff,
<<<                         cocoiii (John Vestal)
<<This of course, should have been cross posted to talk.rumors...
<<Kim Kempf, Microware Systems Corporation	{sun,uunet}!mcrware!kim
<Whoah!  Turn down the flame thrower, pal!  John was close.  The new computer
<should run Os9 68K (not OS9000.  BTW, what do the extra zeros do for it?)
<in addition to everything John mentioned.  (tho there is debate as to whether
<Kim, being a uW employee doesn't MAKE you an authority, much less give you
<the right to shame people's postings.  Please research the subject a bit

I forgot the appropriate "personal opinion" disclaimer when I posted.  I just
felt my net reader obligation to respond to questionable accuracy of
information: "OS9000 thaat is built in to ROM."  I had no personal attack in
my posting as yours did, and I'm sure the readers appreciate your vigilance.
--
----------------
Kim Kempf, Microware Systems Corporation	{sun,uunet}!mcrware!kim

knudsen@cbnewsd.ATT.COM (michael.j.knudsen) (12/27/89)

In article <1432@mcrware.UUCP>, kim@mcrware.UUCP (Kim Kempf) writes:
> In article <1989Dec20.130322.896@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> cocoiii@shumv1.ncsu.edu (John Vestal) writes:

> >     There is going to be a new computer coming out within six months at will
> >run OS9000 thaat is built in to ROM.  This computer will run 6809 OS-9 stuff,

> This of course, should have been cross posted to talk.rumors...
> Kim Kempf, Microware Systems Corporation	{sun,uunet}!mcrware!kim

I'm a little (?) disturbed by this remark coming from a Microware
employee.
Does this mean the Microware in general, or some of its people,
are opposed to the CocoPro/Coco4/KMA machine, or hoping it will fail,
or just very doubtful that it will go anywhere?
They should be more supportive -- this is where the next generation
of OS9 purchasers is going to come from.
I've heard that many industrial programmers who call up Microware
and ask about using OS9 are people who first discovered it on their
Radio Shack Cocos.  Microware got a lot of good publicity out of
that and should take a more positive attitude, at least in public,
towards the first affordable OSK graphics machine.

How about it, Kim?  Have you been reading the "rumors" on CIS and
Delphi and coco@princeton.edu, or do you know something we don't?
--mike k.

P.S.: If I misinterpreted the meaning of Kim's posting, than please
forgive and Merry Xmas and a happy new DECADE for OS9/K!
--
Mike Knudsen  knudsen@ihlpl.att.com   (312)-713-5134
"Round and round the while() loop goes;

knudsen@cbnewsd.ATT.COM (michael.j.knudsen) (12/27/89)

Well, I'll accept Kim's disclaimer to the effect that he was objecting
to the "CocoPro4" running OS9/Intel (aka OS9000) at all, let alone in
ROM.  We expect OS9/68K (aka OSK) to be in ROM.

Supposedly there will be a way to plug Intel 80**6 boards into
the Coco4's bus, but with OSK already built in I have no intention
of letting any of that IBM-tainted Intel scum in my box.

Incidentally, Microware used to tout OS9's ROMability, at least
in the industrial arena.  Plus the ability of newer modules in
a disk boot to override the ROM versions, module by module.
Supposedly these features will be exploited in the CocoPro4.