[comp.os.os9] OS-9 Level Two Upgrade?

akcs.pfc@vpnet.UUCP (Paul Frank Covello) (12/23/89)

I have been using OS-9 Level Two (6809) version 02.00.01 for quite a long
time. In that time I have discovered (thru rainbow/CIS) many many bugs
in the DOS. I am wondering if there are (or if there are plans for) a new,
upgraded version of OS-9 (6809) Level Two any time soon, or is microware
going to just dump us off and leave us hanging here to de-bug the DOS
entirly ourselves? (I send a "Service Card" to Tandy, no responses).

                                                ---Paul Frank Covello

knudsen@cbnewsd.ATT.COM (michael.j.knudsen) (12/27/89)

In article <25933ed9:35comp.os.os9@vpnet.UUCP>, akcs.pfc@vpnet.UUCP (Paul Frank Covello) writes:
> I have been using OS-9 Level Two (6809) version 02.00.01 for quite a long
> time. In that time I have discovered (thru rainbow/CIS) many many bugs
> in the DOS. I am wondering if there are (or if there are plans for) a new,
> upgraded version of OS-9 (6809) Level Two any time soon, or is microware
> going to just dump us off and leave us hanging here to de-bug the DOS
> entirly ourselves? (I send a "Service Card" to Tandy, no responses).

THere was an upgrade worked on, with many improvements as well as
bug fixes, but Tandy lost interest and withdrew support, and M'ware
has said the heck with 8-bit processors.  Maybe you'll see some good
patch files in public domain, that essentially overwrite every byte in
your original modules.

Sending in your Tandy card is like throwing an empty beer can at
a Commie tank (if there are still any Commie tanks in the world :_)),
tho we did get two upgrades to Level 1 out of them.

Hmmm, maybe should go on comp.sys.tandy and take a poll,
whether buyers of "real" (PC) computers with a "real" OS (MSDOS)
ever got any upgrades.  Of course Tandy comes out with new 1000-series
models so often that their "upgrade" path is probably "buy this year's
machine, give your kids the old one."
--
Mike Knudsen  knudsen@ihlpl.att.com   (312)-713-5134
"Round and round the while() loop goes;

jejones@mcrware.UUCP (James Jones) (01/03/90)

Covello) writes:
>I am wondering if there are (or if there are plans for) a new,
>upgraded version of OS-9 (6809) Level Two any time soon...

Since Mr. Covello mentions having CIS access, he probably knows as much as
I do about the messages posted thereon from someone who says he saw such an
upgraded version at the Somerset RAINBOWFest.

	James Jones

pfc@vpnet.UUCP (Paul Frank Covello) (01/04/90)

I only have access to CIS via UUCP. I AM NOT A SUBSCRIBER OF CIS.
So if there is anything of OS9 interest flying around CIS. Please let me
know here on usenet. I cannot afford the sub to  CIS. I  was mis quoted.

knudsen@cbnewsd.ATT.COM (michael.j.knudsen) (01/10/90)

Yes, there was an upgrade to Coco OS9-L2, but Tandy lost interest
in the Coco so it's stalled out.  Pieces are dribbling out in the form of
patch files to be applied to the existing stock modules
(aren't we glad OS9 is modular!).

Already there is an upgrade patch file for GrfDrv which greatly
improves graphics speed, features, and bug-freedom.  It's on CIS
and the much cheaper and faster Delphi system.  It's freeware
so maybe you can get it from someone else.
--

jgm@kokab.cc.deakin.OZ (John Moorfoot) (01/12/90)

In article <12552@cbnewsd.ATT.COM> knudsen@cbnewsd.ATT.COM (michael.j.knudsen) writes:
>Yes, there was an upgrade to Coco OS9-L2, but Tandy lost interest
>in the Coco so it's stalled out.  Pieces are dribbling out in the form of
>patch files to be applied to the existing stock modules
>It's on CIS
>and the much cheaper and faster Delphi system.  It's freeware
>so maybe you can get it from someone else.

Is there anything available on the Internet?  International
telephone charges make  CIS and Delphi prohibitive from
Australia.

! John Moorfoot   Computing Services, Deakin University, Geelong, Victoria, Australia !
! E-Mail jgm@charlie.oz.au                                                            !
! John Moorfoot   Computing Services, Deakin University, Geelong, Victoria !
! E-Mail jgm@charlie.oz.au                               Phone 052 471 545 !

knudsen@cbnewsd.ATT.COM (michael.j.knudsen) (01/16/90)

In article <7934@charlie.OZ>, jgm@kokab.cc.deakin.OZ (John Moorfoot) writes:
> Is there anything available on the Internet?  International
> telephone charges make  CIS and Delphi prohibitive from
> Australia.

as a very active alternative to Netnews, but maintains huge
archives.  It should have the L2 grfdrv upgrade by now.
There is LOTS more traffic there than here.

BTW, I didn't mean to imply that Tandy had anything to do with the
upgrade project -- just that with Tandy no longer actively pursuing
new Coco software, the developers didn't have anyone to market
their efforts at a good price.

Say, what is the Coco scene like down under?  Are you served
by Intertan, the outfit that stoped selling Cocos in Canada?
Do you subscribe to Rainbow or Clipboard?
--
Mike Knudsen  knudsen@ihlpl.att.com   (708)-713-5134
"Round and round the while() loop goes;
        Whether it stops," Turing says, "no one knows."
The Air Is Free -- or $50 with a PADI card.