[comp.os.os9] More on 253 error...

kim@mcrware.UUCP (Kim Kempf) (01/31/90)

In article <155400003@recco+ weo@recco.chi.sub.org (Wolfgang Ocker) writes:
<< blarson@dianne.usc.edu (bob larson) writes ( 8:10 pm  Jan 22, 1990 in recco:comp.os.os9):
<
<< The rest of doing hard links is pretty easy to impliment, as I've done
<< in my public domain ln/mv for os9.
<
<Unfortunately hard links are nearly useless in the current version of
<OSK RBF. It's impossible to remove (delete) a file (name) out of a
<directory when a path is open on the file itself. So this "feature" of
<the RBF is only useful when "moving" files/directories around in the
<directory structure (but it has nothing to do with UNIX hard links).

As Bob pointed out, hardlinks can be supported by OSK RBF, proved by his
ln and mv utilities (and are quite useful).  The fact that OSK RBF refuses
to allow deletion of open files is certainly a topic for consideration, but
it has nothing to do at all with hardlinks.  "Moving" files/directories
around is the intent of hardlinks even in UNIX.  In fact, I see no reason
why mv/ln would not work on open files.  Bob?
--
----------------
Kim Kempf, Microware Systems Corporation	{sun,uunet}!mcrware!kim

weo@recco.chi.sub.org (Wolfgang Ocker) (02/05/90)

> kim@mcrware.UUCP (Kim Kempf) writes ( 5:58 am  Jan 31, 1990 in recco:comp.os.os9):

> <Unfortunately hard links are nearly useless in the current version of
> <OSK RBF. It's impossible to remove (delete) a file (name) out of a
> <directory when a path is open on the file itself. So this "feature" of
> <the RBF is only useful when "moving" files/directories around in the
> <directory structure (but it has nothing to do with UNIX hard links).

> "Moving" files/directories
> around is the intent of hardlinks even in UNIX.

ONE intent. "Moving" files/directories around is even possible on file
systems of operating systems which don't support hardlinks at all (e.g.
<I don't say it>). The advantage of (hard) links is that a file may be
accessed via different paths. It's really annoying when I want to
delete a file out of *MY* home directory and I can't do so because
another user has invoked a "list" on it (via another "hardlink").

> The fact that OSK RBF refuses
> to allow deletion of open files is certainly a topic for consideration, but
                                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ (1)
> it has nothing to do at all with hardlinks.
         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ (2)

(2) pls. see above ...

(1)
Fine! I'm waiting eagerly for it:

  mktemp(fn);
  fd = creat(fn, S_IWRITE);
  unlink(fn);

  write(fd, ...);
  close(fd);

  is a really nice way to create and remove temp files ...

Yours,
/// Wolfgang
--
|  Wolfgang Ocker          |     weo@recco.chi.sub.org     |
|  Lochhauser Strasse 35a  +-------------------------------+
|  D-8039 Puchheim         |       reccoware systems       |
|  Voice: +49 89 80 77 02  |                               |
|  Fax:   +49 89 80 29 67  |    Huh, What?  Where am I?    |