[comp.os.os9] no subject

news@ic2020.UUCP (news login) (05/28/89)

To: ucdavis!ucbvax!comp-os-os9
From: jim@bbm.UUCP (Jim White)
Newsgroups: comp.os.os9,comp.sys.m6809,comp.sys.tandy
Subject: coconet
Date: 26 May 89 17:51:21 GMT

What ever happened to networking of coco2's for educational buyers.
Any info would be appreciated using OS9 or even cassette port
communication for  uploading short programms .  Shooting for 16
coco2's and maybe a coco3 server.

news@ic2020.UUCP (news login) (05/29/89)

To: ucdavis!ucbvax!comp-os-os9
From: jejones@mcrware.UUCP (James Jones)
Newsgroups: comp.os.os9,comp.sys.m6809,comp.sys.tandy
Subject: Re: coconet
Date: 28 May 89 13:46:58 GMT

In article <406@bbm.UUCP> jim@bbm.UUCP (Jim White) writes:
>What ever happened to networking of coco2's for educational buyers?

That's something you should probably ask Tandy.  All I know is this--long
ago, when I was a poor student (and impoverished, too :-) in Oklahoma, a
Tandy computer catalog, on the page describing networking for their Model
4s or something of that sort, there was a sentence that read "for the
Model <n>, and soon for the Color Computer..."

Somewhat later, I bought the Level One version 2.00.00 upgrade, and the
*table of contents* had an entry labeled "Networking." If you looked on
the indicated page, though, you'd find nothing at all about networking.
The only thing I can figure is that Tandy came very close indeed to
supporting networking for CoCos under OS-9.  For some reason, though,
they must have decided against it, and didn't quite do a good enough job
of editing out all references to it from the upgrade manual.  (I don't
think Tandy computer catalogs referred to networking for the CoCo after
that.)

So...if you want networking for the CoCo, I would say you should ask
Tandy about it.

	James Jones

(The above is solely my opinion, and based on information known to me
long ago, before I even knew I'd wind up where I am now.)

news@ic2020.UUCP (news login) (06/08/89)

To: ucdavis!ucbvax!comp-os-os9
From: bolton@cg-atla.UUCP (Lee Bolton)
Newsgroups: comp.os.os9,comp.sys.m6809,comp.sys.tandy
Subject: I could use some help
Date: 7 Jun 89 16:51:28 GMT

	This is my first ever posting. So please bear with me.

I would like to do some word processing at home.
I would like to assemble a system fairly quickly, and I'm operating
on a frayed shoestring budget.
I have the remnants of an old machine long ago religated to the kid's room.
I also have a number of miscellaneous questions that various vendors have
been unable to answer.

I have:
	An OLD (8 yrs +) Radio Shack Color Computer,
	with a hacked in 64K upgrade and a homebuilt composite video adapter.
	(this was originally an 'A' series machine, but was upgraded to a
	series 'F' board by Radio Shack to cure the infamous "sparklies" bug.)
	A Radio Shack 13 in. color television set.
	A Color Computer 2 multipak interface.
	A five year old J+M floppy disk controller. (JDOS installed)
	1 TEAC 35 trk. and 2 Tandon 40 trk. floppy drives.
	EDTASM+ version 1.0 in a ROM pack.
	TSedit version 1.2 on disk.
I don't have:
	a printer.
I also have:
	A Wyse 50 terminal & a modem.(that's what I'm typing this on.)

Problem 1. I can't get a readable 80 character display on the TV. TSedit
uses a software hack (eg. pmode 4,0) to display 80 characters but with the
ghosting and the artifact colors, it's all mush. (By the way, I'm an old school
unix hacker so my editor of choice is either vi or emacs. I don't know of an
emacs work-alike that runs in 64K. So, I'd love to keep using TSedit if I
possibly can because it acts so much like vi.)

Problem 2. depending on how I resolve problem 1, I need to plug in a printer
somewhere. (I seem to remember that printers can be driven through the serial
'bit banger' port, but that that brings the machine to it's knees.)

Problem 3. I haven't touched this machine much for quite a while and don't
remember too much about it's internals and such and don't really want to.

Is there such a thing as a hardware enhancement to get an 80 column display?
I can get my hands on a VGA color monitor (analog..I think). Can I use it? how?
If I install OS9 level 1, is there a driver for my Wyse 50 terminal?
Is there anything like termcap/terminfo/printcap/printinfo under OS9?
Is there an editor or a word processor package that can use a dumb terminal
under OS9? (TSedit can't.)
I've heard mention of a plug-in pack for more than one 'real' RS232 port.
Are there OS9 drivers for that?
I may also be able to find some old ST506 hard drives. Are there any
Color Computer (OS9 or RSDOS) compatible controllers around for them?
How about SCSI controllers?
I wouldn't mind a moderate amount of slashing around (HW/SW) as long as it's
CHEAP. Even if I had to actually rtfm or something.

Any and All suggestions would be appreciated. thanks in advance.
--
R. Lee Bolton          {uunet!ginosko,decvax,ulowell}!cg-atla!bolton
Agfa Compugraphic Corp. 	(508)-658-5600 X5461

news@ic2020.UUCP (news login) (06/16/89)

To: ucdavis!ucbvax!comp-os-os9
From: knudsen@ihlpl.ATT.COM (Knudsen)
Newsgroups: comp.os.os9,comp.sys.m6809,comp.sys.tandy
Subject: Re: I could use some help
Date: 9 Jun 89 15:57:09 GMT

Your situation is pretty good, mainly since you already have
a Multi-Pak and three floppy drives.

First, running printers out of the serial port does not load
down the machine all that much.

Second, the one piece of hardware you really need is a good old
PBJ WordPak that plugs into a Multi-Pak slot and generates honest 80
columns.  I and many other graduates to Coco-IIIs would be glad to
sell you one cheap, including the software drivers.

Third, whether you get a WordPak or just keep running TSEdit
on its graphic 80 columns, you'll need to scarf up a monochrome
monitor.  Used, you should get by under $50; new, around $80.
TV sets just don't hack it beyond games.  Lucky for you someone has
already added a monitor circuit to the old Coco.  Old gray Cocos
are very rugged and reliable, BTW.
An analog color monitor could be hooked up just to the Green lead,
depending on how the sync works.  Sounds great for a Coco-III
though.

Fourth, you should pick up OS-9 Level 1 at a RadShack (or used) for
$30 or so.  TSEdit includes an OS9 version.

I'd say never mind the hard disks at this time.
If you decide to upgrade to a Coco III and Level 2, your existing hardware
will still work.  May have to hackyou multi-pak a bit.
--
Mike Knudsen  Bell Labs(AT&T)   att!ihlpl!knudsen  knudsen@ihlpl.att.com
  Round and round the while() loop goes;

news@ic2020.UUCP (news login) (02/03/90)

To: ucdavis!ucbvax!comp-os-os9
From: es@polari.UUCP (Erich Sweaney)
Newsgroups: comp.os.os9,comp.sys.m6809,comp.sys.tandy
Subject: The CoCo Notes Newsletter
Date: 2 Feb 90 21:31:48 GMT

 Hi, Are you tired of those old BORING same old articles and programs on how to draw a circle? We'll the CoCo Notes Newsletter is the magazine for YOU! This is a bi-montly magazine published, it also includes the newsletter on disk. (A extra bonus, with a meny driven program) We specialize is writting articles that deal with beggining and expert programmers in OS-9, RS-Dos, Machine-Language, and many other kinds. We have written many articles in the past for exaple, How to build a DB-25 to Serial, how to h

ook up a IBM Disk Drive, OS-9 the series for begininers, and many Advance OS-9 articles.

  Also, along with a paid subscription you will receive a FREE lifttime membership to The CoCo Notes National PD Library. This library has HUNDREDS of PD files in OS-9, RS-Dos, C, and many others. Each month, you will be able to choose from the hundreds of files, and receive them for FREE, at no extra charge!

  The price of the magazine is awesome! There is not a better deal out there! Only $10.00 for a yearly subcription, and $2.25 for a single trial issue.
   This magazine even has the Rainbow Seal of Certification!
 Send $10.00 or $2.25 to:
 The CoCo Notes Newsletter
 P.O. Box 45434
 Tacoma, WA
 98445

news@ic2020.UUCP (news login) (02/10/90)

To: ucdavis!ucbvax!comp-os-os9
From: rh2y+@andrew.cmu.edu (Russell E. Hoffman, II)
Newsgroups: comp.os.os9,comp.sys.tandy
Subject: Re: PJP WordPak info need
Date: 10 Feb 90 02:45:13 GMT

I own a PBJ word-pak II and I have all the stuff for it -- manual, driver
software, etc. Unfortunately, I am at college, and all that stuff is at home.
I can tell you this much: Be sure to use a multi-pak expander if you
intend to use the PBJ WordPak for extended periods of time. If you use
the supplied y-cable, the bus drivers on the 6809 in the CoCo tend to be
strained a bit and will eventually burn out, requiring the replacement
of the 6809 (trivial cost, about $2.00)

news@ic2020.UUCP (news login) (02/13/90)

To: ucdavis!ucbvax!comp-os-os9
From: tpc@bnr-fos.UUCP (Thomas Chmara)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.tandy,comp.os.os9
Subject: Connecting a CoCo3 to PC monochrome monitor:  how?
Date: 13 Feb 90 03:08:40 GMT

The subject: line says it all.  I've got a COCO 3 (128K), and haven't
done a darned thing with it except drive a little B&W TV for my young son,
who gets to play Kindercomp and other such educational games on it.
I picked up a monochrome monitor for dirt cheap lately, and have been hoping
to hook it up to the CoCo.  Unfortunately, I have *NO* information on the
monitor (it was a demonstrator clearout).  It's a Magnavox Professional
"PC Monitor 80", which smells like a cheap standard PC monochrome monitor.
It has a single DIN-type connector labelled "SIGNAL":

/     \
| --  |

(I hope the artwork is OK; my home terminal is screwing up something
fierce).  The "u" is a keyway.    There is no indication as to the nature
of any  of the 6 pins.  Any idea how I might connect the COCO to this
monitor?
	Thanks for any help,
		---tpc---
--
I am sole owner of the above opinions. Licensing inquiries welcome.
Tom Chmara	|  UUCP:  ..uunet!bnrgate!bnr-fos!tpc	|  Fone:  (613)765-2925