[comp.os.os9] GCC under OS9/68000

binkley@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov (Rob -Not from Bloom County- Binkley) (02/28/90)

Has there been any work by anyone to port the GNU C compiler GCC
to an OS9/68000 system?

I wouldn't expect it to be too difficult since the processor is one
of the 680X0 family.  I am currently running OS9/68K on a 68030 VME board.

If I was to chose to work on this, what magnitude of a task would I
be undertaking?  Is it even possible???

Thanks-O-Bunch,

Rob Binkley		binkley@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov

"Where the Shuttle comes home..."
NASA Ames-Dryden Flight Research Facility
PO Box 273  MS: OFT
Edwards, CA  93523

jejones@mcrware.UUCP (James Jones) (03/01/90)

In article <436@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov> binkley@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov
(Rob -Not from Bloom County- Binkley) writes:
>Has there been any work by anyone to port the GNU C compiler GCC
>to an OS9/68000 system?

I recall hearing that someone out there was working on it, but have heard
nothing about it lately.

>If I was to chose to work on this, what magnitude of a task would I
>be undertaking?  Is it even possible???

I would think it's possible.  What you'd have to do is make it conform to
the OS-9 way of doing things.  Most importantly, that means generating
position-independent and re-entrant code.  If, in addition, you want to
roll your own cio, you'd have to make it conform to the Microware C
compiler's parameter passing conventions and notion that a6 points at
the process's data area (unless you want to make a rather major switchover
and get rid of any programs compiled using Microware's compiler--possible,
but you would be cutting yourself off from the rest of the OS-9 world for
almost anything you didn't have C source code for.)

	James Jones
Newsgroups: gnu.gcc,comp.os.os9
Subject: Re: GCC under OS9/68000