[comp.os.os9] listserv help

garfield@sunspot.noao.edu (Brian Armstrong) (03/05/90)

In article <1318@polari.UUCP> you write:
>Hi. I recently saw the message that talked about subcribing the CoCo Sig, bu
>Usenet. We'll I typed subscribe coco, and it gave me a error, like unknown
>user, so I tyoed subscribe coco Erich Sweaney and that still did not work?
>Does any know how? or can help me? Thank you..

The trick is to get it to the right address.  One is for the mailist,
where people read it, and the other is for the listserv program to
read.  Sending listserv commands to the mailist annoys people, and the
listserver responds with error messages to common messages.

For the listserver, try one of these addresses:
	listserv@pucc.bitnet
	listserv@pucc.princeton.edu
	...!att!arpa!pucc.bitnet!listserv

You can type multiple commands in one mail message to the listserver,
such as:
	subscribe coco <fulname>
	index os9

Hope this helps.

Brian Armstrong, National Solar Observatory, Sunspot, NM  88349

knudsen@cbnewsd.ATT.COM (michael.j.knudsen) (03/08/90)

Don't send anything via "att!arpa".
The arpa host went to the great VAX in the sky a couple of months
ago, and isn't coming back.
Arpa was an AT&T machine used as a gateway.

Plain old "att" will work, maybe, tho it may balk at forwarding
email from outside ATT to another site outside ATT.
--
Mike Knudsen  knudsen@ihlpl.att.com   (708)-713-5134
"If you cut out drinking, smoking, steak, and sex,