[comp.os.os9] problems with deskmates telecom

knudsen@cbnewsd.ATT.COM (michael.j.knudsen) (04/07/90)

In article <Mar.30.16.00.27.1990.29954@pilot.njin.net>, roccella@pilot.njin.net (Matthew Roccella) writes:
> In my opinion, I feel that Radio Shack did its costomers wrong by
> promising telecommunications with DESKMATE, and not selling the
> equipment required for it (MULTIPAK INTERFACE and the RS-232 pak). If
> there were other companies manufacturing this equipment, I wouldn't be
> so upset. However, w'ere left in the dark. People should complain to
> the company and maybe they will start remanufacturing these devices again.

Yes, RadShack done done us wrong -- no argument.
But there are now some 3rd-party outfits selling both Multi-Pak
replacements (Hawksoft or Howard Medical) and RS232 paks (DISTO
I think) that are compatible with the Shack original, but without
the outmoded ROM software.

Of course complete floppy and hard disk systems and RAM upgrades
are also available from lots of outfits.  These days, the only
piece of the system you need (or WANT) to buy from RadShack
is the 128K Coco itself (and OS9 Level 2, of course :-)).

As Matthew suggests, look thru the ads in Rainbow for these places.
Or rush to the Rainbow-Fest in Chicago this weekend and buy the stuff
cheaper right off the floor!
--
Mike Knudsen  knudsen@ihlpl.att.com   (708)-713-5134
"If you cut out drinking, smoking, steak, and sex,