[comp.os.os9] Break from COM

piner@newton.physics.purdue.edu (Richard Piner) (04/07/90)

In article <4123@ethz.UUCP> zeller@bernina.ethz.ch.UUCP (Lukas Zeller) writes:
>In article <3395@newton.physics.purdue.edu> piner@newton.physics.purdue.edu (Richard Piner) writes:
>> I'm using Microware's
>>"COM" program to connect to the outside world, and it does
>>not know how to generate a break. The terminal switch upstairs
>>needs a break to wake up.
>There is a way, I'd like to call it "quasi standard", to send a break
>to a serial port. Many well-done SCF serial drivers support a I$SetStt-
>call named "SS_Break". Altough intoduced by Microware (I think), this
>call is not documented in the printed manuals. However, it is listed
>in the "funcs.a"-definition file of newer OSK-Versions (among lots of
>other interesting calls for CD/I etc.). It now depends on your serial
>driver whether SS_Break will work or not. I think that there are even
>OSK-Versions of C-Kermit around that support SS_Break.

Well, no luck. I looked and sure enough, SS_Break is defined.
However, the serial driver for the Atari has never heard of it.
So, not even Microware uses it. Mabye this has changed in the
latest version, but V2.1 doesn't know about it.
Also, the serial drivers from Mizar for our VME system didn't
know about break either. But at least we have source code for
the Mizar board. I added my own break a long time ago, but I
changed it to use 'SS_Break' today and it works fine.
Next, I will check the serial drivers from Heurikon, but I
bet they don't support it either. It is still not documented
in the tech manual, and we have V2.3 for the new Heurikon.
I can't blame the vendors for not supporting an undocumented
system call. But Microware should know that this feature will
be needed if OS9 machines are going to be used in large organizations.
It's frustrating because 'break' is supported by the hardware on
every machine I've seen since my old TRS-80 days. It is a RS232
standard. But I've seldom seen software which knows about it
from small computer vendors. What this country needs is standards.
Grrrrr.
Anyway, thanks for the suggestion, but I'm still stuck. No one
has written a program to send a break from Atari/OS9?
Oh well.

djh9381@ultb.isc.rit.edu (D.J. Halko) (04/09/90)

> ... written a program to send breaks on OS9/Atari?

XCom9 will do it when using a certain ACAI chip.... but I don't know whether
the user group provides source for XCom9, I only know they distribute the
binary format....

David J. Halko
djh9381@ritvax.bitnet - alt address