[comp.os.os9] OS/9

mellman@motcid.UUCP (Tom Mellman) (08/01/90)

In article <2256@dali> icsu8209@khan.cs.montana.edu (Glassy) writes:
>I've only read this group (comp.os.os9) for a few weeks...one thing i
>haven't seen is mention of OS[9|K] running on an intel cpu 80X8[6|8].
>Does such a critter exist?
>
>{yes, i know of the delights to be had with motorolla's chips...alas, IBM
>compatibles are what we have many of, here.  No STs, no amigas, no
>play-with-able 68K's.}
>
>If MicroWare or someone else has a version of OS[9|K] that can run on
>fouler silicon than motorolla's, how much does it cost?  how much
>memory does it require?

[ Ah, what a delightful opportunity!  How so many of us have
  awaited this, with relish! ]

I'm sorry sir, but your silicon is TOO foul.  The beauty and the
elegance of OS-9 rests on the fact that all code is completely
dynamically relocatable.  Modules can be loaded anywhere, at any
time without relinking and without MMU hardware.

This is possible with 680x0 chips, but not with the 808x, at any rate.

(although, on second thought, it may be possible with the 80[23]86 ...
 you could load the segment registers with the module base address ...
 ah, but isn't it true that OS-9 processes don't even KNOW where they
 reside?)