[comp.os.os9] OS9 on th Atari ST

D.M.Johnson@newcastle.ac.uk (D.M. Johnson) (07/31/90)

        Since my previous post I have had several replies and OS9 appears to be
what I am looking for.

        Next set of question.
        This questions are more machine specfic, does any one know about
setting up the ST with OS9 in the main part setting it up so more than one
person can log on to the machine at once, I would have thought that the serial
interface and the midi port would be the way but is this so?

        Has anyone used cumarna's version of OS9? what do they think of it?

Once again thanks for all help so far received and any more information people
send.

Dave M. Johnson

krischan@strange.informatik.rwth-aachen.de (Christian Engel) (08/02/90)

In article <1990Jul31.151740.1130@newcastle.ac.uk> D.M.Johnson@newcastle.ac.uk (D.M. Johnson) writes:
>        This questions are more machine specfic, does any one know about
>setting up the ST with OS9 in the main part setting it up so more than one
>person can log on to the machine at once, I would have thought that the serial
>interface and the midi port would be the way but is this so?
That's right! You need a terminal or any small computer with
terminal emulation software to connect to the port of your ATARI.

With the virtual terminals of the Cumana package of reccoware
(see my last posting) You make the system believe there are
up to 8 (I think?!?!) terminals, but physically there is only
the keyboard and the monitor of Your ATARI. You can switch
them with a special escape sequence. In this configuration
You can login on these different virtual terminals as different users.
But it isn't very usefull if these different users are physically
different persons!!

>        Has anyone used cumarna's version of OS9? what do they think of it?

I know OS-9 and much of the software on it from my own system which
is *no* ATARI. But a friend of mine has an ATARI running with
Cumana from reccoware, and it is one of the best OS-9 packages I've
ever seen (see my last posting).

krischan@informatik.rwth-aachen.de *** unido!rwthinf!strange!krischan
Christian Engel, Lehrstuhl fuer Informatik I, RWTH Aachen
Ahornstr. 55, D-5100 Aachen, W. Germany