[comp.os.os9] more questions about OS9

knudsen@cbnewsd.att.com (michael.j.knudsen) (09/06/90)

In article <Aug.29.13.25.10.1990.9143@pilot.njin.net> roccella@pilot.njin.net (Matthew Roccella) writes:
>	Also, How does OS9 software, like DYNASTAR come? Do you need
>to prepare a special boot disk for it? After I boot my COCO3 up, all I
>have left is 56K out of my 128k machine to play with. Will this be
>enough to run such software like DYNASTAR. Are there any other OS9
>word processors that you guys would like to tell me about?

I've used Dynastar for years on both Coco 1 and 3.  For docs,
C and assembler sources, everything.

It needs a full 80x24 TEXT window to run in.  So first, make sure
your window is NOT a grafix window, and kill off any grafix windows you
have.  Grafix windows take LOTS more memory than text.
May want to diddle you Starup file a bit here.

Second, the DS.INIT file of Dynastar has some fields in the relevant line
(for Coco as terminal) that tell whether the help menus should be
overlay windows or not, and in fact whether Dyna itself should
overlay a whole new window when it starts.  Set all those thingies for
*no overlays*, thus saving more memory.

Finally, you can take VdgInt out of your Boot if you want to boot up
to a 40 or 80 column window.

Anyway, you should be able to boot OS9-L2 and have well over 64K left.
Good luck, mike k
--

"Round and round the while() loop goes;
        Whether it stops," Turing says, "no one knows."