[comp.os.os9] vi/stevie termcap

abg@stc06.ctd.ornl.gov (Alex Bangs) (09/14/90)

I've been working with the TOP package recently, and I have been unable
to get vi and stevie to work on my OSK systems.  Both return the error
"vi: Incomplete Termcap entry" (or stevie: ...).  I am using the
standard Microware termcap in /h0/sys.  I have also tried using a
termcap from a Unix system, but that didn't help.

I have looked through the package and I cannot find the source for
either program, so I cannot check what is giving the error.  Does anyone
know what I am missing from termcap?  I've got some vi diehards
(including myself) that would really like to get it running.

Thanks much for the help.

Alex L. Bangs ---> bangsal@ornl.gov         Of course, my opinions are
Oak Ridge National Laboratory/CESAR            my own darned business...
Autonomous Robotic Systems Group

piner@newton.physics.purdue.edu (Richard Piner) (09/15/90)

In article <1990Sep14.140735.15124@cs.utk.edu> bangsal@ornl.gov (Alex Bangs) writes:
>I've been working with the TOP package recently, and I have been unable
>to get vi and stevie to work on my OSK systems.  Both return the error
>"vi: Incomplete Termcap entry" (or stevie: ...).  I am using the
>standard Microware termcap in /h0/sys.  I have also tried using a
>termcap from a Unix system, but that didn't help.

I can't say for sure about stevie, but vi insist that the terminal be able
to scroll backwards. Hence vi will work with a vt102, but not a vt100.
This limitation does not exist with UNIX vi. Since the Atari terminal
emulator can scroll backwards and much of TOPS was done on Atari machines,

						R. Piner