[comp.os.os9] Umacs long lines

rh2y+@andrew.cmu.edu (Russell E. Hoffman, II) (09/18/90)

I was just using uMacs today to help out a friend of mine (IBM user), who
was trying to download files into his HP48 calculator. None of his text
editors deal with text in the "raw" manner in which uMacs deals (i.e.
you see and can edit everything -- ctrl codes and all), so the obvious
choice to do what we wanted to do was to use uMacs. Unfortunately, the only
quirk we ran into was the "long line" limitiation. Any lines we had that
were more than 255 characters got a CR added at the end, which we didn't
want but uMacs insisted upon putting there. Is ther any way to define
the maximum line length inder uMacs, or is it pretty much hard-coded
in as a manifestation of the particular implementation? If this can't be
user-defined, do you suppose uWare will fix this 'bug' in the near future?
Much thanks,
Russell Hoffman
rh2y+@andrew.cmu.edu

blarson@blars.UUCP (09/30/90)

In article <EaxL68600WB3QVCUtm@andrew.cmu.edu> rh2y+@andrew.cmu.edu (Russell E. Hoffman, II) writes:
>uMacs
>Any lines we had that
>were more than 255 characters got a CR added at the end
>Is ther any way to define
>the maximum line length inder uMacs, or is it pretty much hard-coded
>in as a manifestation of the particular implementation?

Probably not without modifying the source and re-compiling.

> If this can't be
>user-defined, do you suppose uWare will fix this 'bug' in the near future?

Depends on how many (paying) users complain, and what you consider
"near".  Microware does accept bug reports from users (via snail
mail), but if you don't pay big bucks for their "hot-line" support,
don't expect much in the way of hand-holding.  A few months of
"hot-line" support may have been included with your osk licence.

Fortunatly, mg limits line length to 65535 characters (size is stored
in unsigned short) and of course you can change this and recompile if
needed.  Mg 2a is available from comp.sources.misc archives and via ftp
from snow.white.toronto.edu, snow.white also has some improvements and
bug-fixes that you can apply.

[late breaking update: a couple of changes are needed to compile mg on
osk 2.3 -- microware broke some things.]

(This is a test post from my osk system.)

--
blarson@usc.edu
		C news and rn for os9/68k!

--
Bob Larson (blars)	blarson@usc.edu			usc!blarson
	Hiding differences does not make them go away.  Accepting

fkk@stasys.sta.sub.org (Frank Kaefer) (10/03/90)

blarson@blars.UUCP writes:

|In article <EaxL68600WB3QVCUtm@andrew.cmu.edu> rh2y+@andrew.cmu.edu (Russell E. Hoffman, II) writes:
|>uMacs
|>Any lines we had that
|>were more than 255 characters got a CR added at the end
|>Is ther any way to define
|>the maximum line length inder uMacs, or is it pretty much hard-coded
|>in as a manifestation of the particular implementation?

|Probably not without modifying the source and re-compiling.

|Depends on how many (paying) users complain, and what you consider
|"near".  Microware does accept bug reports from users (via snail

|Fortunatly, mg limits line length to 65535 characters (size is stored

Why don't you use MicroEmacs 3.10 ? There is as far as I know
absolutely no limit for the line length. I once loaded a file with
about 200 KB in one line.

Frank.
--
| Frank Kaefer | fkk@stasys.sta.sub.org | Starnberg, West Germany |
| (Compuserve: 72427,2101) | Internet: fkk@Germany.SUN.COM        |

rh2y+@andrew.cmu.edu (Russell E. Hoffman, II) (10/04/90)

Frank Kaefer writes:

> why not use MicroEmaces 3.10 ...

Please enlighten us. Where do we get MicroEmacs 3.10? Is it part of the
TOP package?

fkk@stasys.sta.sub.org (Frank Kaefer) (10/06/90)

rh2y+@andrew.cmu.edu (Russell E. Hoffman, II) writes:

|Frank Kaefer writes:

|> why not use MicroEmaces 3.10 ...

|Please enlighten us. Where do we get MicroEmacs 3.10? Is it part of the
|TOP package?

Yes, it should come with the top package. The source is also available
on many ftp sites.

Cheers,
Frank
--

krischan@truth.informatik.rwth-aachen.de (Christian Engel) (10/06/90)

In article <Yb2noua00Vp680i319@andrew.cmu.edu> rh2y+@andrew.cmu.edu (Russell E. Hoffman, II) writes:
>Frank Kaefer writes:
>
>> why not use MicroEmaces 3.10 ...
>
>Please enlighten us. Where do we get MicroEmacs 3.10? Is it part of the
>TOP package?

YES, IT IS!!!

krischan@informatik.rwth-aachen.de *** mcvax!unido!rwthinf!strange!krischan
Christian Engel, Lehrstuhl fuer Informatik I, RWTH Aachen
Ahornstr. 55, D-5100 Aachen, W. Germany