[comp.os.os9] need help with S-100

spam@pv01a0.vincent.iastate.edu (Begley Michael L) (10/16/90)

Hi...
I recently purchased an S-100 bus system from the university real cheap.
it has a Z-80 board, but I want to upgrade it to a better processor,
and run a better OS than CP/M...

Anyway, I'm looking for S-100 processor boards with a 6809 (or better)
processor and help with bringing up a system running OS/9 or some *nix
derivative...

Thanks,

-mike begley
spam@iastate.edu

jejones@mcrware.UUCP (James Jones) (10/16/90)

In article <1990Oct15.192017.29796@news.iastate.edu> spam@iastate.edu (Begley Michael L) writes:
>Anyway, I'm looking for S-100 processor boards with a 6809 (or better)
>processor and help with bringing up a system running OS/9 or some *nix
>derivative...

I don't know whether you'll have much luck finding a 6809 board for S-100
bus.  The ones I recall were

1. Logical (Systems?)--a Florida company that also made ROM burners.
2. Ackerman Digital--an Illinois outfit.  They had a 6809 board, no memory
   mapping so that you were limited to one 64K address space, and they ate
   4K of that by not bothering to decode memory-mapped I/O to their two or
   three on-board ports very well.
3. MicroDaSys might have had one, but my memory is very fuzzy; I don't know
   for sure.

I don't think any of them did memory mapping.

I think you'd have better luck finding a 68000 board for S-100.  Cromemco
(the folks with the infamous S-101 bus, the 1 being some kind of wire
running across the top of the board if I remember rightly :-) made some,
and Godbout might have made one.

	James Jones