[comp.os.os9] mv, free software, and c news for osk

blarson@dianne.usc.edu (bob larson) (08/20/90)

More than a year after I post my ln, mv (programs) link, rename
(functions) package to usenet, two more show up!  I've been using mine
for over a year, and have not found any problems with using file
locking as the only protection from multiple users coliding.  (I only
have one set of hands and three terminals on my system, so I might not
be a good test of this...)

The only problem I have noticed is when I tried to mv a directory into
a subdirectory of itself...

Oh well, ln.ar is available on zog (213)461-7948 (zog is a no-charge
bbs running on an os9 coco) and maybe other bbs's in the stg network,
and somewhere on compuserve (dl 12?).  If I get a few more requests, I
may repost it here, its only about 8k bytes.

In my unplanned absence from usenet for the last few weeks, (I've
uploaded several things to zog (nothing new, it's all on compuserve):
diff, (larry wall's) patch, ln, dis09, and freeb.  Mg 2a and C kermit
4f(90) will be uploaded if there are requests.  Most of my software is
written for os9/68k, but should be fairly easy to port to os9/6809
unless it has non-trivial memory needs.  ln and freeb are the
only trivial memory programs in that list...  dis09 is 6809 only and
hasn't been touched since my coco died several years ago.

Another side benifit of that unplanned absence is I spent some time on
my port of C news to osk and have made significant progress.
relaynews (the heart of c news) works, but expire trashes the
history.pag file which can be rebuilt with mkdbm.  (Further checking
reveals that expire works fine, I was just confused by the much
smaller history.pag files it created.  Now I understand dbz better.)
(Much of the time porting c news was spent tracking down and working
around C compiler bugs.)  It looks like usenet on osk will become a
reality in the near future...

--
Bob Larson (blars)	blarson@usc.edu			usc!blarson
	Hiding differences does not make them go away.  Accepting

krischan@strange.informatik.rwth-aachen.de (Christian Engel) (08/22/90)

In article <26712@usc.edu> blarson@dianne.usc.edu (bob larson) writes:
>The only problem I have noticed is when I tried to mv a directory into
>a subdirectory of itself...

Try my mv/ln. It works: in the case you explain it returns with an error!

krischan.

krischan@informatik.rwth-aachen.de *** mcvax!unido!rwthinf!strange!krischan
Christian Engel, Lehrstuhl fuer Informatik I, RWTH Aachen
Ahornstr. 55, D-5100 Aachen, W. Germany

dnelson@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (Dru Nelson) (08/24/90)

In <3345@rwthinf.UUCP> krischan@strange.informatik.rwth-aachen.de
   (Christian Engel) writes:

>In article <26712@usc.edu> blarson@dianne.usc.edu (bob larson) writes:
>>The only problem I have noticed is when I tried to mv a directory into
>>a subdirectory of itself...
>Try my mv/ln. It works: in the case you explain it returns with an error!

  My mv/ln will also do it and it handles subdirectories just fine.
  Mine is for the 6809 version of OS9 though.  It does have complete
  C source though.

  Has anybody tried it yet?  I have only received one mail message asking
  how to unpack it (Scott Mcgee).  I replied but it didn't go through.

  To unpack the archive you must uudecode it.  Then you just use the OS9
  ar command to extract the contents.

--
%% Dru Nelson %% Miami, FL %% Internet:  dnelson@mthvax.cs.miami.edu  %%

blarson@dianne.usc.edu (bob larson) (08/27/90)

In message <3345@rwthinf.UUCP>  krischan@strange.informatik.rwth-aachen.de (Christian Engel) writes:
>In article <26712@usc.edu> blarson@dianne.usc.edu (bob larson) writes:
>>The only problem I have noticed is when I tried to mv a directory into
>>a subdirectory of itself...
>
>Try my mv/ln. It works: in the case you explain it returns with an error!

Make up your mind.  Either your program doens't work on half my disk,
making it totaly useless, or it does.  My mv only fails when asked to
to something rediculous, which I only let the superuser attempt.  (The
next version, if and when, will fix this problem.)  I realy need to get my
bigger disk working, I'm running out of room and I don't even have a
newsfeed yet.  (A full usenet feed is 13 Megabytes a day!)

Speaking of usenet, I've got most of c news and rn working.  I'll be
asking for beta-test volenteers real soon now.
--

helle@ktshh.UUCP (Hellmuth Michaelis) (08/28/90)

In article <26712@usc.edu> blarson@dianne.usc.edu (bob larson) writes:

>[...]  It looks like usenet on osk will become a
>reality in the near future...

it is already reality ! i'm writing this on an OSK 2.3 machine running
the uucp package from TOP, a news package from ulli dessauer and an nn-port
by frank kaefer. works great !

helle
 hellmuth michaelis                     helle@ktshh / ...!lutzifer!ktshh!helle
voice: +49 40 384298                    hm@hcshh    / ...!mcsun!unido!hcshh!hm

weo@recco.chi.sub.org (Wolfgang Ocker) (08/30/90)

blarson@dianne.usc.edu (bob larson) writes:

>[...]  It looks like usenet on osk will become a
>reality in the near future...

It is a reality already! This article is written on an OSK machine
(and I've written Usenet articles on this OSK machine since more than
two years).

Meanwhile, TOP has stopped the NOTES project, now we have a News
system written from scratch (thanx Ulli!). The newsreader is NN.

Best regards
/// Wolfgang
--
|  Wolfgang Ocker          |     weo@recco.chi.sub.org     |
|  Lochhauser Strasse 35a  +-------------------------------+
|  D-8039 Puchheim         |       reccoware systems       |
|  Voice: +49 89 80 77 02  |                               |
|  Fax:   +49 89 80 29 67  |    Huh, What?  Where am I?    |

db@moscom.UUCP (Dave Bradley) (10/22/90)

	For those who may have read this message previously about my
PT68K system for sale, I forgot to state the price :).  A company based
in Marietta, GA, called Peripheral Technology manufactures the motherboard.
The board is 68000 based, has 5 PC style expansion slots so all your PC
goodies can be used, and is the exact dimensions of a baby-AT motherboard.

	Motherboard:				Accessories:
- 12/8 Mhz MC68000 CPU				- Baby-AT style cabinet
- 1/2M onboard DRAM (120ns) exp. to 1M		- 200W power supply
- WD1771 floppy disk controller			- Toshiba 3.5" floppy drive
- WD1002 hard disk controller interface		- Seagate 20 Meg. hard drive
- battery backed up real time clock		- Seagate 30 Meg. hard drive
- 5 8 bit PC style expansion slots		- PC/XT hard disk ctrl. card
- 4 serial ports (2 SC68681 DUART chips)	- harnesses and connectors
- 1 parallel port ( MC68230 )
- PC style keyboard connector

	Operating System:
Microware Professional OS-9 with all utilities and source code for drivers

*    Price: $1100 + shipping cost    *

Work Phone: (716) 385-6440 between 8-5 M-F
--
"A witty saying proves nothing."
		-- Voltaire