[comp.os.os9] Help needed to get started with OS-9

daday@ecs.umass.edu (10/23/90)

Hello net,

	I am building a 68000 based computer project in our computer
lab course.  When I am done with the course I would like to go on
using the computer as a real computer.  Since it has only an EPROM
monitor now it's kinda limited in what it can do.  OS-9 seems a
logical operating system to run on a 68000 computer so all I've
gotta do is find out from you how to do that.  Complete answers and
pointers will be real helpful.

	I need to know what OS-9 expects as base hardware and at
what addresses it expects to find it.  Price and availability
would be just as useful.

		Thanks are in order for those who respond,

				david

daday@umass.edu

jejones@mcrware.UUCP (James Jones) (10/23/90)

In article <11130.27234ab0@ecs.umass.edu> daday@ecs.umass.edu writes:
>	I need to know what OS-9 expects as base hardware and at
>what addresses it expects to find it.  Price and availability
>would be just as useful.

(Sigh--perhaps I should've posted before this; mail bounced repeatedly.)

OS-9 looks in what are called "device descriptor modules" for memory-mapped
I/O addresses, so as long as the values there indicate where the devices
really are, it's happy.

OS-9 runs on a pretty wide variety of hardware.  If you want real live time-
slicing then you need a regular source of interrupts.

Pricing is best determined by calling marketing types (515-224-1929); while
you're on the phone, ask for a copy of *The OS-9 Catalog*, which is free and
contains a decent overview of the operating system.

	James Jones