[comp.os.os9] kermit, interprocess communication, developer's kit

pecampbe@mtus5.cts.mtu.edu (Paul Campbell) (11/08/90)

On kermit:
     The option you are looking for is 'i', which stands for image mode.
On the Developer's Kit:
     Good luck. Tandy is just not supporting it at all. Contact the COCO
list for a make command. I USED to have one that was PD from somewhere. I
think it might have come from Compu$erve. I know someone was asking after
a save command, followed by my receiving one to put in the file list and
someone just plain posting one right on the list.
On interprocess communication:
     OS-9 also supports shared memory in the form of 'data modules'. These
are (to naive OS-9 users here) like executable modules in memory, except
that they can't be executed. You merely link to them and map them in to get
to them. Under OSK (where they are supported the best), I think they even
have group/public/owner read/write permissions on them.
     Named pipes are also available, though the 6809 version of OS-9 does
not have them yet (not quite yet released. That's part of OS-9 Level 2,
version 2). Message passing would be really nice instead of just 8- or
16-bit signals, but such does not exist yet.
     Examples:
     One version of the cron daemon (a program available under Unix and
OS-9 that runs programs at specific times) reads the data file initially
and stores it in ram. A support program called kickcron (or some such)
sends cron a signal to re-read the data file after an update. I think
kickcron also had the capabilities in it to do rudimentary editting on the
data file.
     The newest versions of the C compiler use the same multi-pass system
that the old compiler used, but the front end now links all the parts
together with pipes so that they all execute simultaneously. Transient
disk usage is cut way down.
     Data files are used all over OSK, but since I don't have it to play
with yet, I can't give you specific examples. One way I used them is when
I wrote a system to do environment variables (before I found out OSK had
it and borrowed that one) which stored the strings in data modules for each
user that the C library calls did a lookup on.
     Named pipes can even be used as temporary storage. I saw an example
where a guy just did nroff filename >/pipe/output. Then later, he got around
to reading the file with more /pipe/output. In between, he was doing some
other things while the nroff ran in the background (yes, there should be
an & tacked on the end of that line to make it a background process).
     Some mad man wrote a 16-bit version of compress (not available yet)
in which he has several processes running (6809 version). Each is connected
by a pipe to the parent process. The sub-processes are used for storage while
it is reading the compressed file.
     OSK has Netman, which allows for /joe/h0/cmds to be te commands
directory on Joe's machine (which is connected via a network link). There
is also TCP/IP implemented completely in the TOPS package from Germany.

ps3@ph3hp840.physik.uni-stuttgart.de (ps-Gruppe) (11/09/90)

In article <1990Nov7.175755.25890@terminator.cc.umich.edu> pecampbe@mtus5.cts.mtu.edu (Paul Campbell) writes:
>     OSK has Netman, which allows for /joe/h0/cmds to be te commands
>directory on Joe's machine (which is connected via a network link). There
>is also TCP/IP implemented completely in the TOPS package from Germany.
What is TOPS? Where can I get it? How much does it cost?

Thomas Stuempfig
Thomas Stuempfig             |  ocac@ds0rus1i.bitnet
Pikosekunden-Labor           |  ocac@rusvm1.rus.uni-stuttgart.de
3. Physikalisches Institut   |================================================
Uni Stuttgart                |  ps3@ph3hp840.physik.uni-stuttgart.de

weo@recco.chi.sub.org (Wolfgang Ocker) (11/12/90)

>In article <1990Nov7.175755.25890@terminator.cc.umich.edu> pecampbe@mtus5.cts.mtu.edu (Paul Campbell) writes:
>>     OSK has Netman, which allows for /joe/h0/cmds to be te commands
>>directory on Joe's machine (which is connected via a network link). There
>>is also TCP/IP implemented completely in the TOPS package from Germany.

Sorry, but the TOP Software Package doesn't contain any TCP/IP implementation.
It contains a UUCP/Mail/News package.

ps3@ph3hp840.physik.uni-stuttgart.de (ps-Gruppe) writes:
>What is TOPS? Where can I get it? How much does it cost?

The TOP Software is a free software package for OS-9/680x0 and contains
a lot of useful software on 15 disks (mostly as source). Some highlights:
RCS (revision control system), Flex, Bison (YACC), UUCP/Mail/NOTES,
Mailbox System, Z-Modem, the OS9Lib (many UNIX (tm) compatible
function like popen() [ours!]) ...

Please send 15 disks to the address below. Please enclose a return
envelope and stamps for sending the disks back (instead of stamps you
can enclose the appropriate number of "international return coupons").

Best regards,
/// Wolfgang
--
|  Wolfgang Ocker          |     weo@recco.chi.sub.org     |
|  Lochhauser Strasse 35a  +-------------------------------+
|  D-8039 Puchheim         |       reccoware systems       |
|  Voice: +49 89 80 77 02  |                               |
|  Fax:   +49 89 80 29 67  |    Huh, What?  Where am I?    |

krischan@strange.informatik.rwth-aachen.de (Christian Engel) (11/12/90)

In article <319@rusux1.rus.uni-stuttgart.de> ps3@ph3hp840.physik.uni-stuttgart.de (ps-Gruppe) writes:
>What is TOPS? Where can I get it? How much does it cost?

Again: TOP is "The OS-9 Project". You can get the TOP package V2.0
for free. Just send 15 formatted Diskettes (5 1/4" or 3 1/2", DS/DD,
16 spt, 16spt0, track offset 0, sector offset 1) and stamps for sending
back to you to:

|  Wolfgang Ocker          |     weo@recco.chi.sub.org     |
|  Lochhauser Strasse 35a  +-------------------------------+
|  D-8039 Puchheim         |       reccoware systems       |

Krischan.

krischan@informatik.rwth-aachen.de  ***  mcvax!unido!rwthinf!krischan
Christian Engel, Lehrstuhl fuer Informatik IV, RWTH Aachen
Ahornstr. 55, D-5100 Aachen, W. Germany

cocoiii@hobbes.ncsu.edu (John Vestal) (11/16/90)

krischan@strange.informatik.rwth-aachen.de (Christian Engel) writes:

>In article <319@rusux1.rus.uni-stuttgart.de> ps3@ph3hp840.physik.uni-stuttgart.de (ps-Gruppe) writes:
>>What is TOPS? Where can I get it? How much does it cost?

>Again: TOP is "The OS-9 Project". You can get the TOP package V2.0
>for free. Just send 15 formatted Diskettes (5 1/4" or 3 1/2", DS/DD,
>16 spt, 16spt0, track offset 0, sector offset 1) and stamps for sending
>back to you to:

   What version of TOPS is available at skipper.nasa.gov (I think
that's the name.) it's IP address is 130.134.37.6.  Does anyone know
if it is current.  If not, could some update it?

                         Thanks,
*  cocoiii@catt.ncsu.edu  Phone: (919) 831-2890      North Carolina State    *
*  John Vestal   P.O. Box 21537   Raleigh, NC 27607        University        *