[comp.os.os9] Kermit output needs I/O redirected on CoCo 3

ingoldsb@ctycal.UUCP (Terry Ingoldsby) (11/23/90)

I use Kermit on my CoCo 3, but find an interesting quirk.  The
version of Kermit is one I compiled on my original CoCo under
OS9 level 1.  Under level 2, everything works fine except that
I have to start kermit with the command:

  kermit cl /M1 >/w7

where /w7 is the window I'm using.  If I don't redirect the
output then it goes nowhere.  I brought up level 2 OS9 with
a 32 column window and found that the output naturally
seems to end up at that window.

I've perused the kermit source and it seems to do open()
on file descriptors 0, 1 (which usually correspond to stdin
and stdout).  Obviously this is not the case with windows.  Code
compiled using fopen() works fine.  I haven't had a chance to
take a closer look at what is going on underneath (i.e. how
fopen relates to open.  Does anyone know what is happening
before I spend time taking the thing apart?

--
  Terry Ingoldsby                ctycal!ingoldsb%cpsc.ucalgary.ca
  Land Information Services                 or

jejones@mcrware.UUCP (James Jones) (11/26/90)

In article <514@ctycal.UUCP> ingoldsb@ctycal.UUCP (Terry Ingoldsby) writes:
>I use Kermit on my CoCo 3, but find an interesting quirk.  The
>version of Kermit is one I compiled on my original CoCo under
>OS9 level 1.  Under level 2, everything works fine except that
>I have to start kermit with the command:
>
>  kermit cl /M1 >/w7
>
>where /w7 is the window I'm using.  If I don't redirect the
>output then it goes nowhere.  I brought up level 2 OS9 with
>a 32 column window and found that the output naturally
>seems to end up at that window.

Hmmm.  At first, I thought you were wanting to invoke it from a window
other than the one you wanted it to run in, in which case you would want

	kermit cl /m1 <>>>/w7

but you say that you're already in /w7.  Believe me, the versions of
Kermit for OS-9/6809 that I've seen do absolutely nothing that depends
on being run in a particular window, and I think for that matter that
it doesn't bother to open or reopen any of the three standard paths.
(Brief pause while examining source in another window.)

This problem has never happened to me; in fact, I'm dialed up from home
with Kermit in connect mode in one window, and in another window I have
Kermit in connect mode talking via a serial port to a VME bus system.
(Yet another examination--I don't see any opening, other than that of
the comm path if it is explicitly specified.)

Could you let me know what version of the source you're using?  Comments
in os9ker.c should be of help.

	James Jones

pete@wlbr.imsd.contel.com (Pete Lyall) (11/28/90)

I used a Gimix primarily under os9/6809, but also had CC3's off and
on. The windows _should_ still follow stdin=0, stdout=1, stderr=2
conventions. After all, they are devices, and have their own device
descriptors.

Pete

--
Pete Lyall                                                   Contel Corporation
Compuserve: 76703,4230              OS9_Net: (805) 375-1401 (24hr 300/1200/2400)