[comp.os.os9] Speech Cartridge ...

paulba@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Paul T. Barton) (12/05/90)

	Ok, here's the scoop.  I have a Tandy Speech/Sound Cartridge.
( used )  It is missing some parts, R1, R2, R5, R11, R17, C8, C14, Q1.
The guy it got it from said it is blown in trying to convert it to 2MHz
for the COCO-3.  From the looks of the workmanship, it's possible.
I have NO documentation for this board.  What is it, and is it still
available from RS ?  I have the OS9 Pan Program that drives this beast,
I suppose I could power it up, and try it, but I would like to make sure
that it won't 'really' fry if I do that.
The chips are: (GI) PIC7040-510, (GI) SP0256A-AL2, (GI) AY-3-8913.

Got any schematics or ideas or parts values or mods to 2MHz ?

jfbeam@eos.ncsu.edu (JAMES FREDERICK BEAM) (12/05/90)

In article <8539@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM>, paulba@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Paul
T. Barton) writes:

> 	Ok, here's the scoop.  I have a Tandy Speech/Sound Cartridge.
> ( used )  It is missing some parts, R1, R2, R5, R11, R17, C8, C14, Q1.
> The guy it got it from said it is blown in trying to convert it to 2MHz
> for the COCO-3.  From the looks of the workmanship, it's possible.
> I have NO documentation for this board.  What is it, and is it still
> available from RS ?  I have the OS9 Pan Program that drives this beast,
> I suppose I could power it up, and try it, but I would like to make sure
> that it won't 'really' fry if I do that.
> The chips are: (GI) PIC7040-510, (GI) SP0256A-AL2, (GI) AY-3-8913.
>
> Got any schematics or ideas or parts values or mods to 2MHz ?

	Well you could go to Radio Shack and order the service manual.  That
would get you started.  I don't think there are any mods. that have to be made
to make it work on the COCO3.  The only problem that could arise is that
the three chips you mentioned cannot work at 2MHz.  In that case, you are
stuck.  Either replace them with newer faster chips or give up.

-------------------
jfbeam@eos.ncsu.edu
--------------------
Ricky Beam
Box 15240
118B Bragaw
NCSU
Raleigh, NC  27607
(919) 828-8554
--------------------

smcgee%albion.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Scott Mcgee) (12/05/90)

In article <1990Dec4.213304.8380@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> jfbeam@eos.ncsu.edu (JAMES FREDERICK BEAM) writes:
>In article <8539@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM>, paulba@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Paul
>T. Barton) writes:
>>
>> 	Ok, here's the scoop.  I have a Tandy Speech/Sound Cartridge.
>> ( used )  It is missing some parts, R1, R2, R5, R11, R17, C8, C14, Q1.
>> The guy it got it from said it is blown in trying to convert it to 2MHz
>> for the COCO-3.
>>
>> Got any schematics or ideas or parts values or mods to 2MHz ?
>
>	Well you could go to Radio Shack and order the service manual.  That
>would get you started.  I don't think there are any mods. that have to be made
>to make it work on the COCO3.
>
>-------------------
>jfbeam@eos.ncsu.edu
>Ricky Beam

Actually, there is a mod needed to make it work on the coco 3 if you want to
use it at 2 MHz. It involves replacing a transitor. Not dificult. I got the
info from the coco mail list. It included OS-9 level 2 drivers.

Scott

  All opinions are my own!    |  A cannon is a large machine that makes a lot
  (Unless I have been bribed  |  of noise and indulges in negatively-intended
  to use someone elses!)      |  mechanical interaction at a distance.