[comp.os.os9] 6502 or 65816 os9?

kellsworth@pbs.org (Video Magician) (01/12/91)

In article <1991Jan11.210804.14612@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu>, kdarling@hobbes.ncsu.edu (Kevin Darling) writes:
> wogg0743@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (William Shakespeare) writes:
>>Has there ever been a port of os-9 to run on the 6502 line of processors?
>
> Nope.  OS-9 takes advantage of addressing modes capable of supporting
> position-independent code.... modes which neither the 6502 nor 6800 have.
> Upscale cpus like the 6809 and 680x0 do.  It also relies a lot on having
> index registers which are larger than the 6502's.  Ummm, if one were
> crazy, a person could create a linking loader for OS9, and perhaps come up
> with a version... but it'd be more or less starting from scratch to do so.
> And wouldn't have near the same power.
>
> Instead, a 6809 board running OS-9 was available at one time for the
> Apple-II, and OS-9 was ported to the 6809 version of Commodore machines.
>
> best - kev <kdarling@catt.ncsu.edu>

Speaking of OS9 for Commodore machines, what about OS9 for the Amiga?  I
understand that there is a port under development Down Under in either
Australia and/or New Zealand.  Is there any word from Microware about
working something out with Commodore?

Such a combination would definitely make one magnificent machine!

-------
Keith "Been OS9-ing for years!" Ellsworth
Editor
Public Broadcasting Service

dnelson@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (Dru Nelson) (01/15/91)

 There was a board for the Apple ][ by Stellation called the Mill.  It had
 a 6809 CPU and OS9 Level I.  I tried it, but it is lacking.

 A 65816 could probably handle it, but it would be messy.

 Your best bet would be to get that MM/1 or TC9.  The TC9 looks nice for
 a 6809 OS9 system and the MM/1 looks like an absolute dream for OSK.  Look
 into the video processor on the thing.

--
%% Dru Nelson %% Miami, FL %% Internet:  dnelson@mthvax.cs.miami.edu  %%