[comp.os.os9] OS-9000

jaz@icd.ab.com (Jack A. Zucker) (04/10/90)

Does anyone have experience with OS-9000 ? We are thinking of using it
on a system we are developing. I'd be interested in hearing from anyone
who has done device drivers for OS9, or OS-9000.
-jaz

andre@inducom.uucp (Andre Somberg) (04/12/90)

In article <1083@zippy.UUCP>, jaz@icd.ab.com (Jack A. Zucker) writes:
> Does anyone have experience with OS-9000 ? We are thinking of using it
> on a system we are developing. I'd be interested in hearing from anyone
> who has done device drivers for OS9, or OS-9000.
> -jaz

Yes, we do have extensive experience in writing device drivers for quite
a few different brands of hardware under OS-9/680x0.
No, we don't have experience in writing device drivers for OS-9000 yet.
If we may believe Microware, it seems to be easier to write device drivers
for OS-9000 than it is for OS-9, since functionality has been shifted from
device driver to file manager. We'll know shortly, since OS-9000 V1.1 (the
newest release) is on its way to us.
I hope this is of help to you. If you have any specific questions, just ask.

Andre Somberg                    Inducom Systems B.V.
P.O. Box 627                     5340 AP  Oss, Netherlands
FAX +31-4120-22640
andre@inducom.uucp               ..!mcsun!hp4nl!inducom!andre

-- Listen carefully. I will say this only once. ('Allo 'allo) --

juuso@kaarne.tut.fi (Havulinna Juha) (11/14/90)

I'm currently using OS9/68K and I like to know
what kind of software OS-9000 is (DO YOU KNOW ?).

1. Is it stabile ?
2. Can You live with it ?

         MAIL ME !
+- - -
! Juha Havulinna juuso`tut.fi juuso`insta.uucp (` <- ?)
! Mielipitteit{nieikannataottaatodestakoskaneovatminunomiamielipiteit{ni.
! My opinion are not mine, they belong to my Mothers.

cocoiii@hobbes.catt.ncsu.edu (John Vestal) (01/10/91)

     A friend of mine owns a I*M '386 compatiable, and I was telling
him about OS-9000, and he asked me how much it was.  So I ask this
newsgroup, specifically Microware, (I think they read this newsgroup 8-) )
how much would OS-9000 be for a 386.  What he was talking about doing
is setting up some sort of network in his house so that the kids could
use the word processor, while he logs on to a BBS, or plays a game, or
works on a program, etc.  OS-9000 could easily do this kind of stuff.
Anyway, thanks.

                              cocoiii (John Vestal)

*  cocoiii@catt.ncsu.edu  Phone: (919) 831-2890      North Carolina State    *
*  John Vestal   P.O. Box 21537   Raleigh, NC 27607        University        *

halkoD@batman.moravian.EDU (David Halko) (02/06/91)

In article <1782@mwca.UUCP>, bill@mwca.UUCP (Bill Sheppard) writes:
> In article <1991Jan10.153546.29219@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> cocoiii@hobbes.catt.ncsu.edu (John Vestal) writes:
> >
> >     A friend of mine owns a I*M '386 compatiable, and I was telling
> >him about OS-9000, and he asked me how much it was...
> >*  cocoiii@catt.ncsu.edu  Phone: (919) 831-2890      North Carolina State    *
>
> OS-9000 for a 386 clone (AT bus, not Micro-channel at this time) is $995,
> including C Compiler, Source Level Debugger, and umpteen hundred utilities.
> Call 800-475-9000 for more information.
>
> --
> ################################################################################
> #  Bill Sheppard  --  bills@microware.com  --  {uunet,sun}!mcrware!mwca!bill   #
> #  Microware Systems Corporation  ---  OS-9: Seven generations beyond __/_!!   #
> #######Opinions expressed are my own, though you'd be wise to adopt them!#######

OK-
Why won't OS9000 work on MicroChannel???

I thought the major difference was the BUS, a hardware difference... does
the hardware really change the operating environment that much??? I am
rather confused how it does since you can have a common OS9 kernel and
managers run across a different hardware base quite easily with only
changing the drivers and descriptors to adapt to the new hardware... is
there something else behind the microchannel machines that make them so
different in order not to allow OS9000 to operate on them?

David J. Halko

kim@mcrware.UUCP (Kim Kempf) (02/12/91)

In article <2576@batman.moravian.EDU< halkoD@batman.moravian.EDU (David Halko) writes:
<In article <1782@mwca.UUCP<, bill@mwca.UUCP (Bill Sheppard) writes:
<<In article <1991Jan10.153546.29219@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu< cocoiii@hobbes.catt.ncsu.edu (John Vestal) writes:
<<<
<<<     A friend of mine owns a I*M '386 compatiable, and I was telling
<<<him about OS-9000, and he asked me how much it was...
<<<*  cocoiii@catt.ncsu.edu  Phone: (919) 831-2890      North Carolina State    *
<<
<
<I thought the major difference was the BUS, a hardware difference... does
<the hardware really change the operating environment that much??? I am
<rather confused how it does since you can have a common OS9 kernel and
<managers run across a different hardware base quite easily with only
<changing the drivers and descriptors to adapt to the new hardware... is
<there something else behind the microchannel machines that make them so
<different in order not to allow OS9000 to operate on them?
<

He didn't say that OS-9000 won't work on the MC, we just haven't done a port
yet.  Since the MC uses different hardware than the ISA, different drivers
are required.  Also, there is some difference in the way interrupts and
bus arbitration work which affects the drivers.  The hardware is currently
expensive and not as widely used as the ISA.  We'll do the port when sufficient
demand for such exists.

--
----------------
Kim Kempf, Microware Systems Corporation         {sun,uunet}!mcrware!kim

bill@mwca.UUCP (Bill Sheppard) (02/12/91)

In article <2576@batman.moravian.EDU> halkoD@batman.moravian.EDU (David Halko) writes:

>Why won't OS9000 work on MicroChannel???

Let me clarify a bit: OS-9000 will work on any (virtually) 386[sx]- or
486-based platform, just as OS-9 will work on any 68xxx-based platform.  Our
PC-AT Development Pak, however, is pre-configured to work on machines which
look like a Compaq 386.  For us to deliver a version which will run on the
greatest number of machines we had to make certain assumptions about what the
hardware looks like (serial chips, disk controllers, etc.).  The generic or
Compaq 386 is most common, and our OS-9000 Dev Pak will run right out of the
box on most machines which "look like" this.  Micro-channel machines have
some hardware differences (not necessarily because they are Micro- channel,
however) which require modification of some of the OS-9000 drivers.
Therefore, today, to run OS-9000 on a PS/2 or other Micro-channel machine you
would need to modify some of the drivers (probably serial and/or disk) from
our normal PC Dev Pak.  It is a similar situation to running OS-9 on a custom
68000-platform - you need to modify your drivers to port OS-9 to the
different hardware.

We do have plans to ship a pre-configured PS/2 OS-9000 Development Pak, but
I don't know have any pricing or scheduling information.