[comp.os.os9] OS9000

wynkoop@esquire.UUCP (Brett Wynkoop) (12/01/89)

Greeting-
     Has anyone out there gotten os9000 running in a real world setup yet?
I know Microware has it running in house, but I have read nothing about
anyone using it yet.  Microware tells me that as delivered it will run on
any 386 or 386sx that is on the market.  This sounds pretty good as a 16
Mhz 386sx is about $1300 with Hard drive.  I just do not want to be the
first to try the setup out with my own hard earned $.  Besides I am still
partial to the Motorola processors although it is hard to get
hardware/software for them.

-Brett

davely@mcrware.UUCP (Dave Lyons) (12/03/89)

In article <1646@esquire.UUCP> wynkoop@esquire.UUCP (Brett Wynkoop) writes:

>Greeting-
>     Has anyone out there gotten os9000 running in a real world setup yet?
>I know Microware has it running in house, but I have read nothing about
>anyone using it yet.  Microware tells me that as delivered it will run on
>any 386 or 386sx that is on the market.  This sounds pretty good as a 16
>Mhz 386sx is about $1300 with Hard drive.  I just do not want to be the
>first to try the setup out with my own hard earned $.  Besides I am still
>partial to the Motorola processors although it is hard to get
>hardware/software for them.
>
>-Brett

We have just started shipping the 386 PC/AT version of OS-9000.  I know
it runs on Compaq's 386sx machine, Gateway 2000's 25Mhz 386, AST's Pre-
mium 386, and Leading Edge's 386 machine.  If you have a 386/386sx PC/AT
compatible machine with the AT compatible hard disk controller it should
run without any problem.  The ROM's and non-volatile RAM on the PC/AT
type machines provide enough information about the configuration that
you shouldn't need to modify any descriptors etc. to make it run.  There
is support for DOS partitions on hard disks so that both MS-DOS and OS-9000
can use the same drive.  Anyhow, since we just started shipping it may
be a week or so before any opinions are formulated.

Dave

 Dave Lyons - ...!sun!mcrware!davely  | On Second though let's not go to
 My employer laughs at my opinions.   | Camelot... 'Tis a silly place

crs14@exua.exeter.ac.uk (Course user 14) (02/20/91)

Are educational discounts available on Microware products ?
From what I have heard of OS9000 it would appear to be a nice alternative
to MSDOS.

p.j.vossler@exeter.ac.uk (internet)
p.j.vossler@uk.ac.exeter (janet)
crs14@uk.ac.exeter.exua  (internet)

bill@mwca.UUCP (Bill Sheppard) (02/22/91)

In article <CRS14.91Feb20111352@exua.exua.exeter.ac.uk> crs14@exua.exeter.ac.uk (Course user 14) writes:

>Are educational discounts available on Microware products ?

Please contact your local Microware office for details (UK: 703 601990)

>p.j.vossler@exeter.ac.uk (internet)
 # Bill Sheppard  --  bills@microware.com  --  {uunet,sun}!mcrware!mwca!bill  #
 # Microware Systems Corporation  ---  OS-9: Seven generations beyond OS/2!!  #
 ######Opinions expressed are my own, though you'd be wise to adopt them!######