[comp.os.os9] High Speed OS9 Level II on a CoCo3

halkoD@batman.moravian.EDU (David Halko) (02/04/91)

OK... I tried the switch... I swapped crystals on the CoCo3 with 512K to get
a boost in speed... no problem, it worked most of the time <smile>... I did it
a week ago over my break, so I don't remember what I was running it at, but
I know I was getting a significant speed increase according to my calculations.

I figure, replace my 120ns DRAMS with 80ns drams, swap a 48MHz clock crystal
for what is in there to get a full 3MHz, and the machine would operate ALMOST
reliably, right? (I will probably have to find faster 256x1Bit DRAMS from
somewhere to make it reliable... at 3MHz, I believe I will need 60ns DRAMS,
but I am sure I will be able to get by with 80ns...)

Now, would there be an easy way to SYNC up the CM-8 with the high speed CoCo3?
I took apart my VM2 and my CM-8 with little success... The CM-8 has a clock
crystal on the motherboard of the monitor somewhere under a metal shielding
case, but I can't get at it! It is secured somehow without screws or clips!
The VM2 has no crystal in it at all, but it STILL wouldn't sync up with the
CoCo3 after playing with horizontal and vertical hold...

I figured if I exactly doubled the speed of the CoCo3, I could adjust the
scan rate of the CM-8 by changing that crystal appropriately (but I can't get
at it right now since I do not want to cut the shielding away RIGHT NOW with
a small hack saw...) If I do change the crystal in the CM-8, would the two
sync up properly???

Could I just adjust the H and V holds and play with the adjustments on the
guns on the monitor???

I don't really mind if I will blow up the 6809 (I'll replace it with the
CMOS equivalent) or the GIME (I'll by some stock in Tandy! <smile>) or the
PIA's (I'll have a reason to socket them...) Just want some raw speed. I am
sure the Eliminator will handle the speed up without a problem... any help
at this point would be appreciated before I try stepping the clock rate
higher (my wishing point is 5MHz... that would bring me somewhere around the
speed range of an MM/1 or low line 68K Tomcat... I figured at 3-5 MHz, the
CoCo would turn RiBBS into a quick BBS and give me the ability to run it
on 4 or so lines without bogging down the 6809 too much... would like to
run a little UUCP as well... maybe test a serial networking interface that
has been in the works... the speed is a must...) When this project is
complete, I will add the 1 Meg upgrade to the CoCo and I'll be ready to fly.

Any help would be appreciated... Thankyou.
	David J. Halko

kdarling@hobbes.ncsu.edu (Kevin Darling) (02/11/91)

halkoD@batman.moravian.EDU (David Halko) writes:

>OK... I tried the switch... I swapped crystals on the CoCo3 with 512K to get
>a boost in speed... no problem, it worked most of the time <smile>... I did it
> [...]
>Now, would there be an easy way to SYNC up the CM-8 with the high speed CoCo3?
> [...]
>I don't really mind if I will blow up the 6809 (I'll replace it with the

I think you're far more likely to blow the CM-8 with a higher horz freq!
Better get/borrow a multisync monitor.

>speed range of an MM/1 or low line 68K Tomcat... I figured at 3-5 MHz, the
>CoCo would turn RiBBS into a quick BBS and give me the ability to run it
>on 4 or so lines without bogging down the 6809 too much... would like to

My thought is: it'd be a better idea to grab some old, cheap CoCo's
and create EPROM paks for them which contain code to do much of the
handling of the serial login ports... and then have them send data
to/from the main CC3 via say, the old keyboard parallel port or ??

That should work much better than attempting to overspeed the coco board.
Plus it might make a neat commercial product ;-)
  kevin <kdarling@catt.ncsu.edu>

zambotti@wpowz.enet.dec.com (Walter Zambotti DEC) (02/13/91)

>OK... I tried the switch... I swapped crystals on the CoCo3 with 512K to get
>a boost in speed... no problem, it worked most of the time <smile>... I did it
> [...]
>Now, would there be an easy way to SYNC up the CM-8 with the high speed CoCo3?

Ok it sounds like you changed the master crystal in the CoCo.  This
would speed up the entire machine including the video output.

Instead of hacking your monitors to match the speed of the faster CoCo
why not make the video output section of the CoCo match the original
speed of the monitor.  i.e. cut the trace that supplies the clock to the
video circuitry and "glue" in the old crytsal (plus or minus any
dividers) from the CoCo on to the cut trace/pin.

This way you have fast processing and original video signals.

regards,

Walter

Curtis.Boyle@weyr.FIDONET.ORG (Curtis Boyle) (03/10/91)

   And I was simply looking for a 32 MHz crystal to get the whole thing running at a true 2 MHz (instead of 1.78). I know Bruce Isted had his running with a 34 or 36 MHz crystal, and he had to use a Multi-sync monitor to get the video right, but barely. (By that I mean it ALMOST worked by fooling with the horizontal and vertical syncs on the CM-8/Magnavox). You wouldn't happen to know a supplier with 32 MHz crystals, would you? I haven't been able to find anyone around here that stocks them.

--
Curtis Boyle - via FidoNet node 1:140/22
UUCP: ...!herald!weyr!Curtis.Boyle

zambotti@wpowz.enet.dec.com (Walter Zambotti DEC) (03/18/91)

Hi Dave,

read your followup.   Understand what your asking!

> If I hack that trace, pop in the old crystal with a /4 circuit, will the
> video still sync up to the CoCo3 bus??? I figured the coco and the GIME
> might not like to chat anymore because of bus timing problems....

From this I gather you want to hack the clock trace to the GIME because
you feel that this is where the video clock frequency would best be
altered?

I would not have done it this/that way.  The 6809 and the GIME should
both have the same clock chip. And I am suggesting that the video clock
frequency be hacked at some point after it leaves the GIME chip.  I
would support your reckoning that if the GIME and the CoCo had
mismatching frequencies then there would be contention on the bus.

If it is not possible to hack the clock frequency after it leaves the
GIME because clock frequencies are not relevant at that section of the
video circuitary then you may have to alter the actual video frequency
(as apposed to the clock frequency) at some point in the final stages of
the video output circuitary.

> If that is all that is required, then I could pop in a few chips into a
> cheapo piece of perf board with the old crystal and get the whole thing
> working. Could I use TTL or CMOS chips with that clock crystal for a
> divider circuit?

Can't say!  Only someone who attempts the mod would be able to shed some
light on that.   And at the moment Dave it sounds like your one of the
only few (if not one) who is attempting this at all.

My only input on this is to :

 Hack the video circuitary on the CoCo sometime after it leaves the GIME,
 whether by clock frequency shifting or video frequency shifting.

 Keep the relative clock frequencies between the GIME and the 6809 the same,
 i.e. if you double one then double the other.

 Be brave.  Dave it is you (and not I) at the fore front of this
exciting modification.
 You may have to experiment until you get what you want.

zambotti@wpowz.enet.dec.com (Walter Zambotti DEC) writes:
> > >OK... I tried the switch... I swapped crystals on the CoCo3 with
512K to get
> > >a boost in speed... no problem, it worked most of the time
<smile>... I did it
> > > [...]

Sorry but I never wrote any of this.   I only replied to the above.  I
did write this though :