[comp.os.os9] Availability of MIDI software for OS-9

akermanis@troa09.enet.dec.com (John Akermanis) (04/06/91)

I was wondering if anyone has ever come across MIDI software which would run
under OS-9 Level II on a COCO III. I have seen a few stand alone MIDI software
packages but none that I know of which would work under OS-9.

Can anyone identify some OS-9 MIDI software or point me to another group which
may know?

Thanks,

          {}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}
          {} John Akermanis     {} akermanis%troa01.enet.dec.com  {}
          {} Digital Equipment  {} DTN 631-7448                   {}
          {} 4110 Yonge St.     {} EXT (416)730-7448              {}
          {} Willowdale, Ont.   {} ------------------------------ {}
          {} Canada, M2P 2C7    {} Born to Hack and Conquer       {}
          {}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}

sysop@sandv.UUCP (System Operator Paul Jerkatis) (04/07/91)

Yes, there is MIDI software for the CoCo 3 under OS9 Level two. Here is a
quick rundown:

UltiBox3 - "Ubox3" This is a Shareware "Jukebox" player for "Ultimuse3" Midi
           files. Is available on lots of BBSes as well as Compuserve,
           Delphi, and the CoCo Listserv@pucc
           It does not require any aditional hardware, but a hardware
           Midi Pak can be used
           Well worth what it costs! And a version for the MM/1 _IS_ in the
           works.

UltiMusE3 - This is a comercial Midi score editor/player available from
            Second City Software (Check the Rainbow magazine for ads)
            This is a VERY impressive package.
            Does not require any aditional hardware, but a Midi PAK can
            be used.

MFconv/MFPlay - programs to convert/play Standard Midi Files (SMF) on the
                CoCo (it is a port from Unix source I believe) it is
                PD/Shareware and is available on Delphi, and other BBSes
                It requires the use of a hardware Midi "Pak"

UltiMuse - This is a Shareware version of UltiMusE3. It was released some
           time ago. Not many features, but it works, and can be used to
           edit simple scores.

Welp, that covers what I know of. Note that UltiMusE(3) is the only program
that can be used to actually write/edit music scores. It is probably the
single most impressive piece of software I have ever seen/used on the CoCo3.
--
 Paul Jerkatis - Call the SandV BBS - 708-352-0948 (OS9/CoCo 3 support)
 UUCP: ...tellab5!vpnet!sandv!sysop   Domain: sandv!sysop@vpnet.chi.il.us

akermanis@troa09.enet.dec.com (John Akermanis) (04/10/91)

In article <80@sandv.UUCP>, sysop@sandv.UUCP (System Operator Paul Jerkatis) writes...

>Yes, there is MIDI software for the CoCo 3 under OS9 Level two. Here is a
>quick rundown:
>
>UltiBox3 - "Ubox3" This is a Shareware "Jukebox" player for "Ultimuse3" Midi
>           files. Is available on lots of BBSes as well as Compuserve,
>           Delphi, and the CoCo Listserv@pucc
>           It does not require any aditional hardware, but a hardware
>           Midi Pak can be used
>           Well worth what it costs! And a version for the MM/1 _IS_ in the
>           works.
>
>UltiMusE3 - This is a comercial Midi score editor/player available from
>            Second City Software (Check the Rainbow magazine for ads)
>            This is a VERY impressive package.
>            Does not require any aditional hardware, but a Midi PAK can
>            be used.

I have received a few emails on this particular MIDI software package. UltiMusE3
looks like it is miles ahead of all others. By saying 'does not require any
additional hardware' does it work using a standard RS232 card or the bit banger
port? I was always under the impression you required a MIDI interface attached
to a RS232 PAK? Does any one have information as to what is involved in building
a MIDI interface?

>Welp, that covers what I know of. Note that UltiMusE(3) is the only program
>that can be used to actually write/edit music scores. It is probably the
>single most impressive piece of software I have ever seen/used on the CoCo3.
>--
Sounds exactly what I need, will check out the Rainbow tonight.

Thanks,

          {}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}

jejones@mcrware.UUCP (James Jones) (04/11/91)

In article <1991Apr10.123122.16408@pa.dec.com> akermanis@troa09.enet.dec.com (John Akermanis) writes:
>I have received a few emails on this particular MIDI software package. UltiMusE3
>looks like it is miles ahead of all others. By saying 'does not require any
>additional hardware' does it work using a standard RS232 card or the bit banger
>port? I was always under the impression you required a MIDI interface attached
>to a RS232 PAK? Does any one have information as to what is involved in building
>a MIDI interface?

Ultimuse can indeed use the bit-banger (it's output only, so one can reasonably
do it).  The hardware one needs in that case is a cable with DIN connectors at
either end and a resistor--the docs tell how to put it together.

As a matter of fact, at the Atlanta CoCoFest, Mike Knudsen had a couple of
processes running Ultimuse on the CoCo he had there--one doing output to a
MIDI cartridge, and the other going out the bit-banger.  Nice demonstration
of multitasking, and just the thing for those Charles Ives pieces with each
half of the orchestra playing a different song. :-)

A fellow in OKC named Paul Seniura has, I think, modified an RS232 cartridge
for MIDI.  If he has access to USENET, perhaps he can describe what is involved.

>Sounds exactly what I need, will check out the Rainbow tonight.

Might have to check a *very* new issue; I believe Second City Software has
moved in the fairly recent past.

	James Jones

gt5631b@prism.gatech.edu (Phil 'Ziggy' Zeigler) (04/12/91)

UltiMusE III does not require any additional hardware.  It is capable of
using either the bit-banger port or the MIDI-Pak.  A simple homemade cable
made by splicing a bit-banger serial cable and a cassette cable will be
adequate for anything you would want to do with UltiMusE III.

                         Phil Zeigler

| Philip J. Zeigler                                                       |
| Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta Georgia, 30332                 |
| uucp:     ...!{allegra,amd,hplabs,ut-ngp}!gatech!prism!gt5631b          |
| Internet: gt5631b@prism.gatech.edu                                      |

sysop@sandv.UUCP (System Operator Paul Jerkatis) (04/13/91)

> akermanis@troa09.enet.dec.com (John Akermanis) writes:
> I have received a few emails on this particular MIDI software package. UltiMusE|
>
> 3
> looks like it is miles ahead of all others. By saying 'does not require any
> additional hardware' does it work using a standard RS232 card or the bit banger
>
> port? I was always under the impression you required a MIDI interface attached
> to a RS232 PAK? Does any one have information as to what is involved in buildin

> a MIDI interface?
>
>           {} John Akermanis     {} akermanis%troa01.enet.dec.com  {}
It can use the BitBanger on the CoCo3... And in fact works very will outa the
bitbanger (and the cable it REALLY cheep and simple)
UltiMusE3 can alsu used a /Midi device... Comercial Midi paks are available,
and I believe someone has figured a way to convert a RS-232 pak into a Midi
pak.
--

halkoD@batman.moravian.EDU (David Halko) (04/16/91)

In article <1991Apr10.123122.16408@pa.dec.com>, akermanis@troa09.enet.dec.com (John Akermanis) writes:

> In article <80@sandv.UUCP>, sysop@sandv.UUCP (System Operator Paul Jerkatis) writes...
> >
> >Yes, there is MIDI software for the CoCo 3 under OS9 Level two. Here is a
> >quick rundown:
> >
> >UltiBox3 - "Ubox3" This is a Shareware "Jukebox" player for "Ultimuse3" Midi
> >           files. Is available on lots of BBSes as well as Compuserve,
> >           Delphi, and the CoCo Listserv@pucc
> >           It does not require any aditional hardware, but a hardware
> >           Midi Pak can be used
> >           Well worth what it costs! And a version for the MM/1 _IS_ in the
> >           works.
> >
> >UltiMusE3 - This is a comercial Midi score editor/player available from
> >            Second City Software (Check the Rainbow magazine for ads)
> >            This is a VERY impressive package.
> >            Does not require any aditional hardware, but a Midi PAK can
> >            be used.
> >
> I have received a few emails on this particular MIDI software package. UltiMusE3
> looks like it is miles ahead of all others. By saying 'does not require any
> additional hardware' does it work using a standard RS232 card or the bit banger
> port? I was always under the impression you required a MIDI interface attached
> to a RS232 PAK? Does any one have information as to what is involved in building
> a MIDI interface?
>
> >Welp, that covers what I know of. Note that UltiMusE(3) is the only program
> >that can be used to actually write/edit music scores. It is probably the
> >single most impressive piece of software I have ever seen/used on the CoCo3.
> >--
> Sounds exactly what I need, will check out the Rainbow tonight.
>
> Thanks,
>
>           {}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}
>           {} John Akermanis     {} akermanis%troa01.enet.dec.com  {}
>           {} Digital Equipment  {} DTN 631-7448                   {}
>           {} 4110 Yonge St.     {} EXT (416)730-7448              {}
>           {} Willowdale, Ont.   {} ------------------------------ {}
>           {} Canada, M2P 2C7    {} Born to Hack and Conquer       {}
>           {}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}

The bitbanger (software rs232 interface in the coco) works very well as
a midi port, and with a very simple to make cable, it turns the programmable
software serial port in the back into a MIDI port... this idea is used under
RSDos on the coco as well as OS9.

The MIDI pack is basically an item which does the serial communication at
that strange baud rate in hardware, thus taking up lots less CPU time.
Modifications to an eliminator serial port, rs232 pak, and rs modem
pak are available to turn them into serial ports... I believe it mainly
just changes the clock crystal on the acia chip.

	Hope that helps,
	Dave Halko

Long Live OS9!              David J. Halko         Did you use OS9 Today???
                            halkoD@moravian.edu
Have you purchased a multi- 144 Seventh Street     If you haven't used OS9,
media machine from IMS yet? Port Reading, NJ 07064 You're missin out on life

halkoD@batman.moravian.EDU (David Halko) (04/18/91)

Does anyone really know how to build the bitbanger to midi cable???

I really need to see a quick diagram so I can put one together....

	Thanks,

rh2y+@andrew.cmu.edu (Russell E. Hoffman, II) (04/19/91)

> {paraphrase} Need pinout for bitbanger-to MIDI

Here it is:

CoCo 4-pin DIN              MIDI 5-pin DIN

             3 ------------ 5
             4 ------------ 4

Most connectors you can buy have the pins numbered on the connector. If yours
doesn't, here are the pinouts (looking at the end of the cable):

    4 pin                          5 pin

     o                               o

1          4                   1           3
                                 4       5
   2    3                            2

Cheers,
Russell Hoffman
rh2y+@andrew.cmu.edu
Carnegie Mellon Univ

akermanis@troa01.enet.dec.com (John Akermanis) (04/19/91)

I thank you all kindly for the OS-9 MIDI information. All questions have been
answer with the exception of one. Do any of the packages which run under OS-9
allows you to also record?

          {}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}

knudsen@cbnewsd.att.com (michael.j.knudsen) (04/24/91)

In article <1991Apr19.130728.5439@pa.dec.com>, akermanis@troa01.enet.dec.com (John Akermanis) writes:
> I thank you all kindly for the OS-9 MIDI information. All questions have been
> answer with the exception of one. Do any of the packages which run under OS-9
> allows you to also record?

At the moment, no.  To record you *do* need a hardware MIDI Pak.
Just before Christmas 1990 I wrote a set of programs tor ecord and playback
under OS9 L2.  They worked, but the UART chip (6850) in my MIDI Pak
didn't like the Coco3's 1.8 MHz clock and dropped or mangled bytes
often enough to make playback rather rough, and so I stopped
working on the program until I can find some 68B50 chips.

Lately I've been porting UltiMusE to the MM/1 (and TC-70) so that project
remains on the shelf.  But it CAN BE DONE on OS9-L2, and WITHOUT
turning off interrupts or multi-tasking (in fact I use the
interrupts).  Soooo, you will be able to record, sometime this year
I hope.	--mike k (author of UltiMusE)
--
"What America needs is A Thousand Points When Lit..."

	knudsen@iceland.att.com

akermanis@troa02.enet.dec.com (John Akermanis) (04/25/91)

In article <1991Apr23.210613.3242@cbnewsd.att.com>, knudsen@cbnewsd.att.com (michael.j.knudsen) writes...
>In article <1991Apr19.130728.5439@pa.dec.com>, akermanis@troa01.enet.dec.com (John Akermanis) writes:
>> I thank you all kindly for the OS-9 MIDI information. All questions have been
>> answer with the exception of one. Do any of the packages which run under OS-9
>> allows you to also record?
>

>At the moment, no.  To record you *do* need a hardware MIDI Pak.
>Just before Christmas 1990 I wrote a set of programs tor ecord and playback
>under OS9 L2.  They worked, but the UART chip (6850) in my MIDI Pak
>didn't like the Coco3's 1.8 MHz clock and dropped or mangled bytes
>often enough to make playback rather rough, and so I stopped
>working on the program until I can find some 68B50 chips.

I would be interested on hearing how it all works out. In the mean time I shall
order UltiMusE and play. My girl friend is the musical one and I'm the hacker
looking at hooking her Roland Electronic Piano to the COCO III under OS-9.

By the way, what is the difference between the RS232 pak and the MIDI pak if I
may ask?

          {}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}

knudsen@cbnewsd.att.com (michael.j.knudsen) (04/25/91)

In article <1991Apr24.210136.26080@pa.dec.com>, akermanis@troa02.enet.dec.com (John Akermanis) writes:
> I would be interested on hearing how it all works out. In the mean time I shall
> order UltiMusE and play. My girl friend is the musical one and I'm the hacker
> looking at hooking her Roland Electronic Piano to the COCO III under OS-9.
>
> By the way, what is the difference between the RS232 pak and the MIDI pak if I
> may ask?

UME should sound great on the ROland piano.

The RS232 and MIDI Paks are similar, except the MIDI Pak runs
at one Baud rate of 31,250, over three times faster than the RS232 can,
and uses a different electrical output (a 5 ma current loop
instead of +-12 volts swing).

Also Rat Shack sold the RS232 Pak, and SPeech Systems cum Rulaford Research
sells the MIDI Pak.

It's possible to hack up an RS232 or DC Modem Pak into a MIDI Pak,
tho so far nobody's written up cut-and-dried cookbook instructions
on how to do this.

If I get that MIDI recording under OS9-L2 working, you and everyone else
will hear about it :-)