[comp.os.os9] msdos -> os/9

hartley@maxwell.physics.purdue.edu (Michael P Hartley) (05/11/91)

   Yes, you are all quite right.  ^J is a line feed.  I had a memory crash.
As I had said, the problem is that on the DOS machine (286) the file is fine,
but after using kermit (ascii mode) the transfer the file to the rainbow,
the file is one long line, with ^J where the newlines where on the DOS machine.
is the ^J the newline character for a DOS machine?  maybe that is the problem.
---Mike

stp@bernina.ethz.ch (Stephan Paschedag) (05/12/91)

In article <5086@dirac.physics.purdue.edu> hartley@maxwell.physics.purdue.edu
(Michael P Hartley) writes:

>   Yes, you are all quite right.  ^J is a line feed.  I had a memory crash.
>As I had said, the problem is that on the DOS machine (286) the file is fine,
>but after using kermit (ascii mode) the transfer the file to the rainbow,
>the file is one long line, with ^J where the newlines where on the DOS machine.
>is the ^J the newline character for a DOS machine?  maybe that is the problem.

For end-of-line MSDOS uses CRLF ($0D0A), but if you have a correctly working
kermit implementation, the conversion from CRLF to CR (for OS-9) should
automatically be done. For this kermit should be switches to ASCII- (text-)
mode ON BOTH SIDES !
In binary mode the file is transmitted as it is, i.e. the CRLF will also
appear in you transmitted file and the LFs have to be removed with :

 'tr -d \0a infile outfile'

Stephan

OS/2 & PS/2 : half an operating system for half a computer

Stephan Paschedag                                         stp@ethz.UUCP
MPL AG, Zelgweg 12, CH-5405 Baden-Daettwil     ..!mcvax!cernvax!chx400!ethz!stp